Cubbies has Re-Opened and Smoke-Free!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubbies has Re-Opened and Smoke-Free!

I want throw a Congrats out to the owner(s) of Cubbies for this bold decision to go 100% smoke-free!
    I think this will be a good test case for the whole State of SD, in debunking the notion that having a smoking ban will negatively effect profits.
    I for one will go to no other bar in Brookings before and after SDSU sporting events.

Again, Congrats to Cubbies and THANK YOU!!

I hear the changes look great also...can't wait for Football Season!

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Re: Cubbies has Re-Opened and Smoke-Free!

I second that. It does look good inside. No reason to go to any other bar in town.

Comment

At the end of last semester, the waitresses at Cubby's started handing out surveys regarding smoking. I thought I heard at one time the results were lopsided for no smoking. I am loving the idea of no smoking there. Friends from Minnesota tell me they love it there because of the no smoking laws. Hopefully SD can move towards the same thing soon.
      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
        At the end of last semester, the waitresses at Cubby's started handing out surveys regarding smoking. I thought I heard at one time the results were lopsided for no smoking. I am loving the idea of no smoking there. Friends from Minnesota tell me they love it there because of the no smoking laws. Hopefully SD can move towards the same thing soon.

I heard 95%.

Go Jacks!!
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

They'll have our business and now, instead of being occasional visitors when in town for a game, we'll make a point of grabbing something to eat before and stopping by after EACH game.

Support Cubbies!

Comment

We love Cubbies and the only thing we didn't care for was the smoke. Great choice by the owners and I'm sure their business will be even better than it was.

Comment

KUDOS to CUBBY'S!!!!

The only reason we didn't go there everytime we were in town was the smoke. Now I can take my family and not be concerned about the harmful affects of second hand smoke. Everyone get the word out and encourage you friends to head down to Cubby's.

Will they be serving food and drinks on the sidewalk? The state legislature is allowing local government to make this decision if the sidewalk are immediately adjacent to and abutting the business and that business serves food. I had heard that Brookings was willing to allow outside service. Anyone able to confirm or deny?
              Last edited by jackmd; 07-16-2008, 02:16 PM.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Its probably a good thing for me that they made this decision now than when I resided in Brookings. If Cubbies was no smoking back then I know I would have brought my family there once a week. Can't wait to see (and not smell) the new place
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                  Its probably a good thing for me that they made this decision now than when I resided in Brookings. If Cubbies was no smoking back then I know I would have brought my family there once a week. Can't wait to see (and not smell) the new place
                  I never thought about the potential "negative" consequence for me. One of the main reasons I don't spend time at the bars in Brookings is the stench of smoke. Now, that deterant has been removed. Could be some late nights on the town this fall/winter.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Excellent news! I find that pretty much the only bar I go to in Yankton is the one that is smoke-free. We had always hoped someplace in Brookings would make the move too. No doubt Cubby's will continue to be successful, which is great to see. I was in college when it first opened. We used to hang out there a lot, but I don't remember very many people being there in those early days. We liked it and couldn't figure out why it wasn't busier. We'll definitely be there every time we come back.

Comment

Great, great news. We try to only go to smoke free establishments in SF, however a couple of times we have been "forced" by friends to try out other places. I truly do not get the idea that allowing smoking is good for business. Most people do not smoke. Most smokers will not rule out a place if it is smoke free. So by allowing smoking you are meeting the needs of a minority of a minority of your customer base. We live by Harmodon baseball park in Sioux Falls and just had a really nice place open up. On a Saturday shortly after they opened, the place was packed with teams playing in a tournament. While we were there, there were teams from Omaha, a Twin Cities suburb (I can't remember which) and Des Moines. Being an old coach, I went and asked a coach or parent how they liked the fields, etc. Each one brought up the fact that they couldn't believe that smoking was allowed in the restaurant and that they wouldn't be coming back. Approximately 100 people in the place and I could see two people smoking. I told our waitress what they said and asked her to pass it on to management.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        I never thought about the potential "negative" consequence for me. One of the main reasons I don't spend time at the bars in Brookings is the stench of smoke. Now, that deterant has been removed. Could be some late nights on the town this fall/winter.
                        Doc! Will you be changing your alias to jackMGD?

Comment

Are we allowed to smoke in outdoor patio? Do they have one anymore?

Too many questions...you can find me at Skinners. BEST BEER IN TOWN.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I think I'll try to stay away from the mediocre food and service of Cubby's and stick with BraVo's the orginal smoke free restaurant in Brookings.

Comment

I will have to argue that BraVo's service and food are not as great as you think. Ate there one time and that will be the only time. Three of the four orders at our table were messed up, a refill took 10 minutes to get, and the food wasn't very good. Had a friend order an appetizer one night. He was eating his appetizer and the owner comes over to his table to see how things were going. While talking to him, the owner stuck his finger in the customers sauce and gave it a taste. Let's just say he didn't finish his app. I'll stick to Cubby's and O'Hares (even though O'Hares does allow smoking). I'm sure we all have our own opinions regarding all the places to eat in Brookings, SF, etc., so everyone is going to frequent the places they have good experiences at. It could have been a bad day for the cooks/servers, but it will still leave an impression on you regarding future visits.
                              Last edited by bub94; 07-17-2008, 09:27 PM.
                              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Working...
                              X