Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Director of Bands--Eric Peterson

Stumbled across this on sdstate.edu:
    BROOKINGS, S.D. — After a national search, Eric Peterson has been named director of bands for South Dakota State University.

Peterson replaces James McKinney, who will retire at the end of the 2008-09 academic year. The two will share responsibilities during the school year as part of a leadership transition plan, according to David Reynolds, head of the music department.

Peterson comes to SDSU from the University of Utah where he directed the Utah Marching “Utes,” the university symphonic band, and two basketball pep bands. Under his direction, the Marching “Utes” performed and traveled extensively as members of the Mountain West Conference, including the 2003 Liberty Bowl, the 2005 Fiesta Bowl (’04 season), the 2005 Emerald Bowl, the 2006 Armed Forces Bowl and the 2007 Poinsettia Bowl.
    Looks like we can expect continuing excellence from the SDSU bands . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: New Director of Bands--Eric Peterson

I wonder how many people that I know will think that I am the new director of bands!! I too am an Eric Peterson... I'm sure there will be a couple of band mates that will.. To bad I majored in Geography.

I hope Dr. Eric Peterson continues the Pride's great tradition.

Eric Peterson
    Go State! Go State!

Comment

Okay, everybody jump on Tuba if the band doesn't suit up for the last game of the year at Coughlin!

Comment

I am not going to pick on the Tuba guy because of the coincidence of duplicate names. That will be a problem in itself with mail and what have you.

I thought McKinney was done at the end of this past year, but apparently not. Its good that they could find very qualified candidate such as Mr. Peterson to fill in before McKinney retires. I hope Mr. Peterson will find SDSU and Brookings to his liking.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 07-21-2008, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          Okay, everybody jump on Tuba if the band doesn't suit up for the last game of the year at Coughlin!

I've blamed him all along.*

*I kid, I kid.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Guess Coull is retiring soon too or something. Sounds like the band might travel to more road games that will be nice. I did have to do a double take on the name Eric. Knew it wasn't you though ;-)
            Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
            -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Sounds like good credentials...and he will need them...because he will have a large pair of shoes to fill. While excited about continuing to watch the Pride with pride, I want to extend my warmest and sincere thank you's to Jim McKinney, who has just done an amazing job at SDSU. I do believe he is among a number of SDSU professors who could have gone anywhere and been successful...and I'm just glad he has been ours!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                Sounds like good credentials...and he will need them...because he will have a large pair of shoes to fill. While excited about continuing to watch the Pride with pride, I want to extend my warmest and sincere thank you's to Jim McKinney, who has just done an amazing job at SDSU. I do believe he is among a number of SDSU professors who could have gone anywhere and been successful...and I'm just glad he has been ours!!!
                Ditto. It takes a outstanding leader to create the kind of organization that the Pride has become over the McKinney years. You can quibble about where the focus at athletic events should be (I think the band should be more supportive and less about the band) but nonetheless, we're lucky to have had Professor McKinney here to build the Pride into a juggernaut.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

What does the Pride receive from the Athletic department for being entertainment at every home game? Do they get kick-back for the tickets they sell?

Comment

Originally posted by p1987 View Post
                    What does the Pride receive from the Athletic department for being entertainment at every home game? Do they get kick-back for the tickets they sell?
                    Not really my expertise, but I would guess the majority of the people that contribute to the band is because they see them play at football games.

Comment

Parking revenue?
                      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Used to be parking revenue - "Park for the Pride". Someone closer to the action probably knows more though.
                        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Last home game I think I paid $3 dollars to park in the north HPER lot and that went towards the Pride.

Comment

They always had the north lot that was "Park for the Pride". This year they are blocking the lot just south of that for the same reason. The thing I find interesting is that you have to pay to park even in November when the Pride doesn't preform.

Comment

since this is a pride thread.... rumor mill has it the pride may perform at the inauguration in january

Comment

Working...
                              X