Interesting Numbers from the BOR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Numbers from the BOR

WOW, I'm going to put this here and I REALLY hope it turns into Smack. You'll all know what I'm talking about when you read TV's latest blog entry!

Unreal. And they have a freaking Business School down there!

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Re: Interesting Numbers from the BOR

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
    WOW
    That pretty much covers it.
    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
      WOW, I'm going to put this here and I REALLY hope it turns into Smack. You'll all know what I'm talking about when you read TV's latest blog entry!

Unreal. And they have a freaking Business School down there!

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

Go Jacks!!
      Key word is ticket "sales". You can always and I mean always get a free ticket to a USD game. In fact, just call me if you ever want 1 or 20 or 40, I'll put you in touch with someone who will GIVE them to you.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I don't think any smack is necessary. SDSU is about 40% of the BOR system by enrollment (39.66% of FTE enrollment for fall, 2007 to be exact), and the only school playing in Division I. I can easily see how those two facts would translate into nearly 2/3 of the athletic ticket sales for the system.

Anybody want to guess what the numbers are for the U. of Minnesota system, or the U. of Nebraska system?
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Assuming FY07 covers July 1, 2007 to June 30, 2008, I find the Concession numbers very interesting. I believe Aramark took over the concession last fall prior to football. I see the concession numbers for FY07 amount to $420,440. For FY06, the amount was $161,308. Total concessions increased $259,132 in FY07 over FY06. I assume also the numbers reflected in the report are net of the Concessionaire's share.

With 5 buck popcorn and hot dogs, we cant go wrong. I probably have complained more than anyone about the price increase, but at the same time the selections of eats has increased so overall its was a great move by SDSU in making a change in concessionaires.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 07-10-2008, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            I don't think any smack is necessary. SDSU is about 40% of the BOR system by enrollment (39.66% of FTE enrollment for fall, 2007 to be exact), and the only school playing in Division I. I can easily see how those two facts would translate into nearly 2/3 of the athletic ticket sales for the system.

Anybody want to guess what the numbers are for the U. of Minnesota system, or the U. of Nebraska system?
            Nebraska, maybe multiply every number by 20 or 25, Minnesota maybe 10 to 15.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Nebraska, maybe multiply every number by 20 or 25, Minnesota maybe 10 to 15.
              Yup, that's my point. It will be very, very interesting to see these same numbers in five years or so.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

In looking over the numbers in the report, I think the only thing you can say is that SDSU's numbers reflect a growing Division I program, and the rest of the schools' numbers don't. Again, that's not smack, it's just that the numbers represent five years of ramping up the financial side of the athletics effort at SDSU towards reaching a competitive level in D-I.

Which we are not at, yet.

07 total budget was just over $8 million, up from $6.7 million in 06.

Next year will see something like $200,000 in additional revenue from membership in the Summit League (more, if we can somehow figure out how to get more than one league school in the NCAA men's basketball tournament). Corporate sponsorships are just under $1 million, and should (i.e. need to) grow more. Royalties/Endorsements/Licenses is over $500,000 and also should/needs to grow more. Donations need to increase as well.

Much work yet to be done, so it's all well and good to crow a little bit about SDSU's share of the state's college athletic budget, but it needs to get bigger if we want to get to where we all want to be.

And it also provides a reality check and baseline for our friends at USD as they enter D-I.

SDSU's doing a lot of things right, and should be getting full credit for it from the BOR, the state's media, and the population of S.D.

UPDATE: OK, I see from TV's blog entry that the $500K royalties number is inflated by a temporary institutional component. Doesn't change my analysis--it should IMHO be a fairly big number as SDSU gains more success in D-I and becomes more established with fans and alumni around the country.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

To add to Filberts comments: We will also get a nice guarantee from the Iowa St. football game and future games with Minnesota, Nebraska and Illinois. This will increase our revenue.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

We also begin to get an allocation from the NCAA this year.

Comment

We also have an amazing home schedule for football and a preseason ranking coming off a conference championship and one of the most memorable home victories in school history. I'd hope those factors will increase attendance some more again this season.

I ordered 4 season tickets today myself

Comment

Working...
                      X