ESPN Correction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Correction

Last evening I went to ESPN's website and noted that both SDSU and NDSU were listed under the Great West Football Conference and not the Missouri Valley FC. I think the schedules listed for each school were correct. SDSU and NDSU were not listed under the Missouri Valley Football Conference. I sent an e-mail pointing out the error to ESPN.

This morning I received a nice note from a representative of ESPN, politely tell me: "As per the link below please note that South Dakota State University and North Dakota State University are new members of the Great West Football Conference for the 2008 season:..." The link was to an AP story, reprinted on ESPN's site, stating USD and UND were new members of the Great West. The e-mail provided a phone number just in case I had other questions.

I sent another e-mail to ESPN, politely pointing out again that both SDSU and NDSU were in the Missouri Valley, not the Great West. I suggested they check the link provided to me because the linked story was accurate. I followed the e-mail with a call to ESPN where I talked to a representative who understood the problem and said he'd contact the right people and make the correction.

I'll take a look at the ESPN site in a day or two to see if the correction was made.

Re: ESPN Correction

Nice work. We have to continue to get the word out and make people aware of the Jackrabbits.
    The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

UPDATE:

I've exchanged e-mails twice with ESPN and had one phone call. Here's the substance of the last e-mail:

"I do apologize for the confusion on my part.
      Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I escalated the issue for
      review and we will make the necessary corrections. Once again I do
      apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for bringing this to our
      attention."

In the telephone conference, I had to say: 'think like this: Iowa State and Iowa. Two different schools. Okay?' and the guy seemed to click on that.

ESPN tries to get it right and I think we'll see a correction (along with changing the name from Gateway to Missouri Valley Football Conference) in the next day or two.

Comment

That is an amazing conversation and even more amazing that you had to have it with a news enity such as ESPN...Sports news none the less!

It reminds me of some the people across the country that honestly think that to this day, North and South Dakota are one State.

And WE'RE the ones that don't get out much?

Great job at setting the all knowing ESPN straight JD.

Rep points deserved...and...awarded!

Go Jacks!!
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Now can you do anything about that utterly illiterate "S DAKTA ST" they insist on using?
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            Now can you do anything about that utterly illiterate "S DAKTA ST" they insist on using?
            Suppose we could at least buy a vowel?

Comment

Looks like ESPN got it corrected.

But now the Great West only has Cal Poly, according to ESPN. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they where changing it while I was looking at it.

Again, good work JD to get that straightened out!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams

Go Jacks!!
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Hey, looks pretty good, doesn't it?

Comment

They even have the new logo at the top of the page.
                  @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                  --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

In making the corrections -- putting SDSU and NDSU with the Missouri Valley Football Conference -- it appears ESPN 'moved' UC-Davis and So Utah U to D-1A Independents and left just Cal Poly in the Great West. Neither USD or UND are listed in the Great West.

I sent note to the ESPN guy with whom I exchanged e-mail, thanking him for attending to the corrections. I noted the Great West listing may not be incorrect (but, that's not my issue).

Go Jacks in the Valley!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      In making the corrections -- putting SDSU and NDSU with the Missouri Valley Football Conference -- it appears ESPN 'moved' UC-Davis and So Utah U to D-1A Independents and left just Cal Poly in the Great West. Neither USD or UND are listed in the Great West.

I sent note to the ESPN guy with whom I exchanged e-mail, thanking him for attending to the corrections. I noted the Great West listing may not be incorrect (but, that's not my issue).

Go Jacks in the Valley!
                      Does ESPN know something we don't know? (I know the answer--no, they don't.)

It'll be hit and miss for USD and UND to get listed on various sites, as they're in that first-year limbo, not a D-I counter but not a D-II school either. Reclassification sucks.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        Does ESPN know something we don't know? (I know the answer--no, they don't.)
                        The ESPN guy responded to my note (which said ESPN now had errors in the Great West listing -- only shows Cal Poly -- and in listing Davis and SUU as IA Independents). He sent back the following:

"Please note that I have compared our listings versus the ones posted by the NCAA and I show that we have the correct teams in the proper
                        divisions. If you notice any errors please contact the NCAA directly for assistance."

Well, I know that is incorrect. But, I made a quick stop at the NCAA site to verify UC-Davis and SUU are both listed as FCS schools -- they are. It is noted on the NCAA site that Davis and SUU are 'independents' and they are not listed in the Great West Football Conference. Of course, the NCAA does not list either NDSU or SDSU in D-I FCS yet!
                        http://web1.ncaa.org/onlineDir/exec/...=1AA&sport=MFB

I did send the ESPN guy links to the Davis and the Great West websites which show the correct information.

I guess someone from Davis and SUU will have to deal with it.
                        Last edited by JackJD; 07-09-2008, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          The ESPN guy responded to my note (which said ESPN now had errors in the Great West listing -- only shows Cal Poly -- and in listing Davis and SUU as IA Independents). He sent back the following:

"Please note that I have compared our listings versus the ones posted by the NCAA and I show that we have the correct teams in the proper
                          divisions. If you notice any errors please contact the NCAA directly for assistance."

Well, I know that is incorrect. But, I made a quick stop at the NCAA site to verify UC-Davis and SUU are both listed as FCS schools -- they are. It is noted on the NCAA site that Davis and SUU are 'independents' and they are not listed in the Great West Football Conference. Of course, the NCAA does not list either NDSU or SDSU in D-I FCS yet!
                          http://web1.ncaa.org/onlineDir/exec/...=1AA&sport=MFB

I did send the ESPN guy links to the Davis and the Great West websites which show the correct information.

I guess someone from Davis and SUU will have to deal with it.
                          "Garbage in, garbage out," in other words. Oh well, you tried . . .
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                          X