Brookings Man Killed by fireworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brookings Man Killed by fireworks

This is being reported all over this morning. I know this is total speculation but it sounded to me from the story that it was possibly a college student.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...DATES/80707003
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Re: Brookings Man Killed by fireworks

No, he was not a college student. He graduated from High School with me. He was the type to play with these types of devices quite a bit.

Comment

My first worry was that this was going to be one of the athletes staying around Brookings this summer. KSFY had his name released, 23 year old Ryan Voeller of Brookings. Very unfortunate and sad. As a parent its always tough to imagine losing a child, my heart goes out to his family.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
        My first worry was that this was going to be one of the athletes staying around Brookings this summer. KSFY had his name released, 23 year old Ryan Voeller of Brookings. Very unfortunate and sad. As a parent its always tough to imagine losing a child, my heart goes out to his family.
        This is very sad, though a Brookings County native many decades of absence, this is a name I do not recognize at all, but my heart goes out to his family. It has to be a loss. If he is bluehat's age he has not been on this earth for thirty years. Its very sad.

I enjoyed fire works as much as the next person, but each year I hear of sad incidents such as this and you feel that there ought to be another way to celebrate the birth of our nation.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

I enjoyed fire works as much as the next person, but each year I hear of sad incidents such as this and you feel that there ought to be another way to celebrate the birth of our nation.
          Fireworks when used properly don't generally pose a great problem. The tragadies, such as this one, usually occur when they aren't used for the intended purpose. Apparently this young man made a "bomb" by taping together a bunch of sparklers.

As a parent, I will talk with my children to underscore the dangers of fireworks so that this won't happen to them. That's all we can do! There is nothing good that comes from a tragedy like this.

My prayers go out to the Voeller family.

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
            Fireworks when used properly don't generally pose a great problem. The tragadies, such as this one, usually occur when they aren't used for the intended purpose. Apparently this young man made a "bomb" by taping together a bunch of sparklers.

As a parent, I will talk with my children to underscore the dangers of fireworks so that this won't happen to them. That's all we can do! There is nothing good that comes from a tragedy like this.

My prayers go out to the Voeller family.

SUPERBUNNY
            The six oclock news indicates that a sparkler bomb was in the making. I do have to agree that fireworks can be fun with good parenting and special safety precautions. Unfortunately, this young man was beyond parental control, and I doubt anyone one could have stopped him from what he was doing, except for himself. Its sad and my prayers include the Voeller family.

Comment

Working...
            X