X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Ostarello

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...NTPAGECAROUSEL

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...y=videonetwork

More on Sam Ostarello who was close to committing to SDSU.

Re: Sam Ostarello

This segment of the news story is troubling, especially considering that Mr. Hunter is a former SDSU student assistant:

"There was a time just last summer when Ostarello dreamed of playing for South Dakota State. Her walls were covered with Jackrabbits posters and banners, her closet filled with blue and yellow gear. She was all but set to make a verbal commitment.
    Then Purdue, intrigued by the film that (Stanley County athletic director Guy) Hunter sent out, invited her to its elite camp. There, she earned MVP honors and a scholarship offer. Once a proponent of SDSU, his alma mater, Hunter used the 16-hour drive home from Indiana to urge Ostarello to give the Boilermakers - who made the Sweet 16 six times in the past 10 years - serious consideration. She committed less than one week later."

The story goes on to report that Sam Ostarello then called SDSU coach Aaron Johnston to inform him of her decision and began sobbing. With supporters like Guy Hunter, who needs detractors? I wish Sam the best, but I hope the Jackrabbits play Boilermakers in a national tournament within the next few years and beat them soundly.
    This space for lease.

Comment

It would have been great to have Sam be a Jackrabbit and who knows, its possible she might still be some day if she just isn't happy at Purdue. But you can't blame Guy for wanting something better for a kid from his school.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Sam in a Jacks uniform before it's all said and done. She's a special talent, but I wonder if she will be too far from home at Purdue. I wish her the best and hope everything works out well.

I agree EQ you can't blame Guy Hunter for wanting Sam to be the absolute best she can be. If she thinks that is Purdue than who can doubt her. She's the only one that knows what's best for her.

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
          But you can't blame Guy for wanting something better for a kid from his school.
          Okay, I feel like a little rant on this topic. I do not feel what happened is "something better."

I question whether it is appropriate for a high school coach or athletic director to direct a student-athlete to a particular program. I know it goes on all the time but I think it should be frowned upon. So, when the next good student-athlete comes along at Stanley County, should universities first recruit the athletic director?

If an institution has to deal with an athletic director or a coach who clearly tries to direct student-athletes away from the institution, should the institution waste its time trying to recruit athletes at that high school? Perhaps the institution's efforts are better spent recruiting athletes in a less hostile environment. Maybe students and parents of students at a select few high schools in the region should be told that until the recruiting field is level, there will be no interest in their student athletes. I think it'd be fine in my book if SDSU just by-passed Stanley County High School (and there are a few others in this State) so long as its current athletic director remained in office.

It's a good thing I'm not a recruiter for if I was, certain high schools would quickly get the message that their students may have fewer opportutinities in the region until a few things changed.

Fortunately, SDSU's coaches know how to deal with such situations and they know which high schools or which coaches or athletic directors are hostile to SDSU recruiting. I think it's great South Dakota athletes attract attention outside the State. I think it's great SDSU attracts attention--and successfully recruits--outside South Dakota.

I look forward to kicking the Boilermakers around on the basketball court.

End of rant.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            She's the only one that knows what's best for her.
            If that's the case, then why was the Stanley County Athletic Director so actively involved in Purdue's recruitment? I think most high school juniors do not know what's best for them and a coach or, in this case, an athletic director, can be very persuassive.

I sincerely hope the decision turns out well for the young lady. But, it would be a long time before I'd forget what the athletic director did in this case.

Okay, rant over.

Comment

Sounds like a classic case of South Dakota Inferiority Complex.

Sufferers of SDIC (hm, didn't that mean something athletic once?) believe that everything in South Dakota simply isn't as good as elsewhere in the United States, soley by nature of it being in S.D.

If it's outside South Dakota, it just has to be better, according to the SDIC sufferer.

It's sort of a reverse "not invented here" mindset, possibly unique to South Dakota. I don't know of a cure, other than to live outside South Dakota for an extended period of time--that way you discover that other places are in total no better, and are sometimes worse, than the Rushmore State.

"The soft bigotry of low expectations."
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I can see a few different sides to this discussion.

One thing I do know for sure is that there are some cases where the people guiding the high school athlete get caught up in what I call the "name game". They feel it's some kind of notch on their own belt if the player they are helping with the recruiting process goes to a nationally recognized or a "name" school. It's an ego thing to some people to say they are going to this or that school. Kids can be swayed by adults (parents, coaches, or AD's). I have NO IDEA if this is what happened in Ostarello's situation.

That being said, maybe we as outsiders need to realize that one article in the newspaper does not tell an entire story. There could be tousands of other factors that she weighed in making her decision to go to Purdue.

Bottom line is that with our without Ostarello, SDSU is going to continue climbing the rankings over the next few years with the players we have and the ones we do have coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                  I can see a few different sides to this discussion.

One thing I do know for sure is that there are some cases where the people guiding the high school athlete get caught up in what I call the "name game". They feel it's some kind of notch on their own belt if the player they are helping with the recruiting process goes to a nationally recognized or a "name" school. It's an ego thing to some people to say they are going to this or that school. Kids can be swayed by adults (parents, coaches, or AD's). I have NO IDEA if this is what happened in Ostarello's situation.

That being said, maybe we as outsiders need to realize that one article in the newspaper does not tell an entire story. There could be tousands of other factors that she weighed in making her decision to go to Purdue.

Bottom line is that with our without Ostarello, SDSU is going to continue climbing the rankings over the next few years with the players we have and the ones we do have coming in.
                  But, but but . . .

If we actually knew what we were talking about, what kind of fun would that be? This is an Internet discussion board, after all . . .
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Who knows what all was done and said by the AD from Stanley County.

Just looking at it, it's a great opportunity for Ostarello to go play for a big time program.

WBB is doing very well at SDSU and is continuing to improve every year but Purdue and the Big 10 we are not. It speaks volumes that she held SDSU in such high regard that it brought her to tears (if true).

All AJ can do is let the young lady know that if things don't work out at Purdue than look us up at SDSU!

Onward and upward!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Here is why I think about this the way I do.

Where is it more likely Sam gets national exposure: Purdue
                      Where is it more likely the Women's Basketball team is going to have full backing money wise during her time in school: Purdue
                      Where is Sam more likely to get national exposure in the job market: Purdue
                      Where is Sam more likely to be exposed to people places and things she would never see in Ft Pierre: Purdue

There is no doubt that Sam could come to SDSU and do very well in the world, that has been proven over and over. But, when you have a chance to see and experience a little more of the world for free and your 17, don't you have to consider it? Beside that she can always come back to South Dakota if she doesn't make it and even if she does make it she can come back when she's done.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

I'm not sure that we should be quick to throw Mr. Hunter under the bus on this. The article doesn't say that he told her to pick Purdue, just that he urged her to consider it. I'm thinking if I am living in the Stanley County School District that is what I want him to do for my child. And stop to consider the implications of him not working for her to consider it. "Star athlete turns down Purdue at urging of AD" Not a headline I would want to see if I lived in that school district.

As for not recruiting at school's because of "unlevel recruiting fields," I would rather have our coaches recruit there and say something to the effect, "We want you so bad that we are willing to climb over the doors that were opened for other schools."

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

This line from the Terry V story in the Argus told me about the Athletic Director's influence:

"Once a proponent of SDSU, his alma mater, Hunter used the 16-hour drive home from Indiana to urge Ostarello to give the Boilermakers - who made the Sweet 16 six times in the past 10 years - serious consideration. She committed less than one week later."

Used the 16-hour drive home.

Influence.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            This line from the Terry V story in the Argus told me about the Athletic Director's influence:

"Once a proponent of SDSU, his alma mater, Hunter used the 16-hour drive home from Indiana to urge Ostarello to give the Boilermakers - who made the Sweet 16 six times in the past 10 years - serious consideration. She committed less than one week later."

Used the 16-hour drive home.

Influence.
                            I would love to expound on some of the comments I have heard from those who will never encourage a women's basketball player to attend SDSU. Living in southeast SD where coyote fans are thick and Koupal fans are even thicker I hear a lot of stuff. Stuff that may (or may not) be crap but stuff none the less. There are people in positions of influence that do not like SDSU, same can be said for Udot and other universities. I don't know if this Hunter fellow is one of those or not but it seems plausible based on TV's quote. Maybe we should ask TV.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think JJD and Filbert are on target.
                              SDSU fans and South Dakotans should stop apologizing for being alive. Why do we act like we're second-rate Americans willing to accept second-rate status? SDSU keeps good company in athletics and academics, and it fits in fine. We fans and residents should challenge any official or any institution that feeds old stereotypes of state inferiority. We should fight for good student-athletes like Sam Ostarello, and we should not be surprised when we win.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                              X