X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christiansen Gone!

Kind of suprised not to see any chatter about this
    http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...DATES/80625048

Jackrabbits senior pitcher Kirby Morsching said Wednesday night that Reggie Christiansen is stepping down after four seasons as head coach to become an assistant at Sacramento State.

Christiansen, a native of Fortuna, Calif., did not return a call seeking comment, and SDSU athletic director Fred Oien would confirm only that his department is losing a coach.

Taking over a program that won 12 games in its final season at the NCAA D-II level, he led the Jacks to a mark of 96-113 during the Division I transition, putting together aggressive schedules that were short on home games.
    Good luck Reggie on your new adventures.

Re: Christiansen Gone!

Sorry to see the Coach is leaving. But, the program is solid and will attract good applicants.

Comment

I figured it was a matter of time the way he's turned the program around.

Always hate to see a good coach go, but he's leaving us better off than when he came here. Based on the athletic department's track record lately, I'm confident they can get another good replacement.

Good luck Coach Christiansen!

Comment

What is surprising here is that he is going to a similar level assistant position (Sac State). I realize it is closer to home but he is so much better than that. Gotta wonder if there isn't more to it.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
          What is surprising here is that he is going to a similar level assistant position (Sac State). I realize it is closer to home but he is so much better than that. Gotta wonder if there isn't more to it.
          Yes, I believe that Sac State plays bball in the WAC (as Big Sky doesn't sponsor sport). But to me, going to an assistant coach position there appears to be a downgrade from a D-I play-off eligible (next year) school head coach position.

The CWS champ Fresno St. Bulldogs play in the WAC.

Comment

TV's blog mentions the Sac State head coach is "aging"...not sure how old a guy he is, but this would make more sense for Reggie's move.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

Like others have said, the baseball program is in good shape at SDSU and should attract good canadates. Coaches leaving is something we're all going to have to get used to with being a Mid-Major D-I program, whether we think it's a better move or not.

Go Jacks!!
            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Personally, I'm a little disappointed to see this information come out before Reggie was ready to comment. I'd hate to think that any of the young men who play for him or have signed to play for him found out he was leaving via a newspaper or forum.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                Personally, I'm a little disappointed to see this information come out before Reggie was ready to comment. I'd hate to think that any of the young men who play for him or have signed to play for him found out he was leaving via a newspaper or forum.

Competely agree...I'm sure the Athletic Dept. and Reggie isn't real happy with it either.

But.....I'm not going to begrudge Terry for reporting the news with that source, and that's coming from one of the most cynical SOB's you'll ever meet when it comes to today's sports media and media in general.

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Well, that's what newspapers do...report news when they learn of it. So I won't blame Terry for doing his job. That being said, though...dang, this stinks. Reggie did a very good job turning around and establishing the program. I knew he would leave sooner rather than later, but didn't think it would be so soon. He's got a bright future. Best of luck.

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                  Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

That was quick. Good Luck to Coach Price!! Young, but a good guy and comes from college baseball coaching blood.

http://beta.argusleader.com/apps/pbc...DATES/80626040

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                      That was quick. Good Luck to Coach Price!! Young, but a good guy and comes from college baseball coaching blood.

Go Jacks!!
                      It was quick but really needed to be. If he hadn't been named at least the interim so that recruiting for next year could continue this summer it would have really set back all the progress the program had made. Reggie was done with recruiting for 2009 but was in the middle of recruiting for the following season. Good luck to coach Price and to Reggie. Let's hope it works out well for both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post

Go Jacks!!
                        I am not up on all the new people that have come and gone, but I think we should be gratiful for the four years that Reggie has given us. I thought we were hiring an awfully young guy, four years ago when we hired Reggie. He was just out of grad school.

SDSU is going to have problems hanging on to people because of our salary structure. I think we all know that. We work our head coaches and assistants very hard and and they seem to earn very little. Its no wonder they all seem to have up to date resume's ready to put in the fax machine when a job opens. I dont know what the answer is. My only conclusion is this:Welcome to D1 and dont forget to send your pledge to the Jackrabbit/ACE club.

People coming and going is not new. I think of Dave Kragthorpe and Conrad, the two replacements to Ralph Ginn, but each spent one to two years at SDSU and then went on to great success at other D1 schools. (Weber St, Oregan State for Kragthorpe and Conrad at Arkansas State. Both excellent coaches, but the salary and other things were not to their liking.)

I do like what I have read about Ritchie Price. For now he needs our support and hopefully one year from now he will be the Head coach.

Comment

Its kinda depressing because I have heard a lot of good things about him and he had turned them around and had them in the right direction but you can't really blame him for leaving.... He gets to go to California (who wouldn't want to go there) where he is from and from my understanding be in line for the head job in a year or 2. The new head coach or interim seems to be a good pick up .... Hopefully he can develop something special here, now that Reggie has put the team in the right direction.....

Comment

In watching the College World Series on Weds, the announcers made a comment that with Fresno State winning that made it something like 10 years in a row where the champ had come from a school west of the Mississippi river. May have something to do with the coach's decision to head to Cal. We, in the midwest, are always going to be at a disadvantage in the spring sports because of our rotten weather. The NCAA has tried to lessen any disadvantage by regulating scheduling, but they can't regluate the weather.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

ESPN also put up a graphic showing the locations of the CWS winners over the last 20 years or so. Other than Oregon State, the farthest north team was Wichita State.
                              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Working...
                              X