Jimmy Buffett lived in Brookings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Buffett lived in Brookings

The July/August 2008 issue of South Dakota Magazine, at page 64, has a story about musician Jimmy Buffett's day in Brookings. Until I read the article by Tom Lawrence, I had no idea Buffett resided in Brookings but he did...in 1969. Buffett claimed a tornado grazing the mobile-home court he called home convinced him to leave the Midwest.

Sen. Tom Daschle, a '69 grad of SDSU, is quoted in the article, having enjoyed Buffett's music during performances in Brookings.

A nice story with a little-known fact about the home of SDSU.

I think I've subscribed to South Dakota Magazine since it was started and I read it cover-to-cover (including all of the ads). I pick up several gems about South Dakota from each issue. While I may not fall within the category of one of Buffett's "Parrotheads", I am a fan and rank some of his songs in my personal 'favorites' category, particularly his "Come Monday" and his version of "Southern Cross". The Magazine has a website on which you can get a sample of the writing style and editorial content: www.southdakotamagazine.com

Re: Jimmy Buffett lived in Brookings

Jimmy recounts his brief Brookings residency in his book, "A Pirates Look at 50". He was playing the "Holiday Inn" circuit at the time. Its a good read.

Comment

South Dakota Magazine is one of the best "state" magazines around. Bernie Hunhoff does a great job in producing it. Also in a past issue was an article on how the Wright Brothers used to come from Ohio to visit an uncle in South Dakota. If you don't get the magazine, I urge you to, you won't regret it.

Comment

Agreed, I purchased a year subscription for my father for Christmas hoping my dad would like it. He reads them from cover to cover and then brings them to the Veterans Hospital and leave them in the lobby for others to enjoy. It has made Christmas shopping very easy for him now. Just renew it every year.
        We...ARE...STATE!
        SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          The July/August 2008 issue of South Dakota Magazine, at page 64, has a story about musician Jimmy Buffett's day in Brookings. Until I read the article by Tom Lawrence, I had no idea Buffett resided in Brookings but he did...in 1969. Buffett claimed a tornado grazing the mobile-home court he called home convinced him to leave the Midwest.

Sen. Tom Daschle, a '69 grad of SDSU, is quoted in the article, having enjoyed Buffett's music during performances in Brookings.

A nice story with a little-known fact about the home of SDSU.

I think I've subscribed to South Dakota Magazine since it was started and I read it cover-to-cover (including all of the ads). I pick up several gems about South Dakota from each issue. While I may not fall within the category of one of Buffett's "Parrotheads", I am a fan and rank some of his songs in my personal 'favorites' category, particularly his "Come Monday" and his version of "Southern Cross". The Magazine has a website on which you can get a sample of the writing style and editorial content: www.southdakotamagazine.com
          I ordered a subscription for my daughter this last week. Looking forward to sharing it with her and the rest of my family.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
          X