Thoughts about 2008 Summit League Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts about 2008 Summit League Play

Having been laid up for most of the week due to a burst appendix, I have had a lot of time to work on a story for the 2008 Summit League Volleyball Season.

My thoughts on the Summit League:
    1. NDSU - Leadership + Lopez's = Success
    2. Oral Roberts - Foreign Recruiting Success Continues
    3. Western Illinois - McKay's young team could push them towards the top
    4. IPFW - The thought of the end of 2007 haunts them
    5. Oakland - Success appears to be in the near future
    6. IUPUI - Mediocre seems to be the path of the Jags
    7. SDSU - Angner leads the Jacks, but who will be the supporting cast
    8. UMKC - Like their unathletic mascot, the Roos appear to be lacking in the talent
    9. Centenary - The struggle continues

Obviously, I think ORU and NDSU should be at the top of the class this year, with Western close behind. IPFW has to find a good way to close out their seasons or they will be stuck on the outside looking in. The Jacks are not in good shape, they have lost some underclassmen and schedule has yet to be completed. Goodnight returns to help lead the Jags this year. Oakland's depth could be quite scary for fom opponents this year. UMKC just can't impress me no matter how ugly their uniforms are. The Catahoulas of Centenary might have depth and many freshmen, but not much else.
    We'll see what happens between now and December.
    Last edited by thebluehatman; 06-30-2008, 10:53 PM. Reason: Changes on the Team

Re: Thoughts about 2008 Summit League Play

BHM: If you're working up a story on volleyball...be sure to spell Angner's name correctly...and assume you meant mediocre not medicore in regards to one of the team. I'm sure you edit your stories close, but it doesn't hurt to make sure the board posts are edited as well before you submit them. Will be watching for your stories as the season nears and get's started in the fall.
    Last edited by Jacks#1Fan; 06-23-2008, 09:29 AM.

Comment

medicore is to mediocre as regads is to ?

Just having some fun.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

"Me fail English? That's unpossible."

Ralph Wiggum
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
          Having been laid up for most of the week due to a burst appendix, I have had a lot of time to work on a story for the 2008 Summit League Volleyball Season.

My thoughts on the Summit League:
          1. NDSU - Leadership + Lopez's = Success
          2. Oral Roberts - Foreign Recruiting Success Continues
          3. Western Illinois - McKay's young team could push them towards the top
          4. IPFW - The thought of the end of 2007 haunts them
          5. SDSU - Anger and Rooney lead the Jacks, but who will be the supporting cast
          6. Oakland - Success appears to be in the near future
          7. IUPUI - Medicore seems to be the path of the Jags
          8. UMKC - Like their unathletic mascot, the Roos appear to be lacking in the talent
          9. Centenary - The struggle continues

Obviously, I think ORU and NDSU should be at the top of the class this year, with Western close behind. IPFW has to find a good way to close out their seasons or they will be stuck on the outside looking in. The Jacks have the big unknown, as most of their roster and schedule has yet to be completed. Goodnight returns to help lead the Jags this year. Oakland's depth could be quite scary for fom opponents this year. UMKC just can't impress me no matter how ugly their uniforms are. The Catahoulas of Centenary might have depth and many freshmen, but not much else.
          We'll see what happens between now and December.

All spelling and usage aside, you seem to have a better handle on the future season of the Summit Volleyball league then most of us. If I had an equal amount of research to my credit, I possibly could argue with you. I do know that the NDSU new coach has their program going in the right direction so to put them on top may be correct when all is said and done. I would like to think SDSU would be a contender, but too many changes have taken place for that to happen. Good luck with the article, and heck we all are not wordsmiths no matter how hard we try.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
            medicore is to mediocre as regads is to ?

Just having some fun.
            Touche! Corrected!

Comment

Based on some of the stuff I am hearing from campus, I think I need to lower the Jacks down on the list to 7th or 8th.

Comment

Based on some of the stuff I am hearing from campus, I think I need to lower the Jacks down on the list to 7th or 8th.
                And why is that?

Comment

I have been told of the departure of 6'3 Annie Adams from the program while working on my volleyball preview story yesturday.

Comment

Isn't Rooney gone as well? I heard she was released and will join Coach Palileo and Annie at Washington St.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacks89 View Post
                      Isn't Rooney gone as well? I heard she was released and will join Coach Palileo and Annie at Washington St.
                      Yeah Rooney is gone too.

Comment

SDSU takes a major blow if Rooney and Adams have departed!

I would rank the 08 season like this:
                        1. ORU-return all starters and they are pissed about how 07 finished up
                        2. IPFW-didnt lose much to graduation, were helped out by a scheduling quirk in 07 that allowed them to be home against every top team in the 2nd round, but will still be a top team
                        3. NDSU-will struggle to replace the maturity of Stuewe but has enough balanced talent returning and potential in their rookies; they are a well resourced program that will keep them in the top 3
                        4. WIU-will be young but will find a way to contend for their 5th straight conference tourney appearance
                        5. IUPUI-always finds a way to be competitive and has the potential to take a match or two from a top team
                        6. Oakland-has added alot of kids and will keep improving, but will they know how to win? may take a match or two that will surprise some folks, but wont be able to do it on a consistent basis
                        7. UMKC-will see a lot of new faces, still transitioning, has more talent than OU, but OU is a little deeper
                        8. SDSU-with graduation losses and Rooney and Adams gone; ouch, the new coach has her work cut out for her
                        9. Centenary-too young (players and coaches) to do any damage; will take 3-5 years to see much from them

Comment

Adams is to Palileo as Farve is to

a. Bevell
                          b. Childress
                          c. a and b
                          d. b and a

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Quote of the year so far:
                            “Yes it is a rebuilding year, but it’s a year that we can take and learn a ton from. We do not put ourselves in that rut of saying rebuilding for the whole year. Well, why do we have to say that? It is going to be anybody has to go through a learning curve; it is going to take some time to develop. And now it is how we take on that learning curve.”
                            Nana Allison-Brewer on the rebuilding process

Comment

Quote of the year so far:
                              “Yes it is a rebuilding year, but it’s a year that we can take and learn a ton from. We do not put ourselves in that rut of saying rebuilding for the whole year. Well, why do we have to say that? It is going to be anybody has to go through a learning curve; it is going to take some time to develop. And now it is how we take on that learning curve.”
                              Nana Allison-Brewer on the rebuilding process

Is that really the quote, or is the wording just that messed up??

BTW, quote from where, what source??

Go Jacks!!
                              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                              X