SDSU and Brookings Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU and Brookings Radio

Starting today, Brookings Radio 910 a.m. will be hosting a morning time slot geared toward SDSU. I am not sure how long it will last each day, but it will broadcast daily at 8:10 a.m.
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Re: SDSU and Brookings Radio

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
    Starting today, Brookings Radio 910 a.m. will be hosting a morning time slot geared toward SDSU. I am not sure how long it will last each day, but it will broadcast daily at 8:10 a.m.

Chose a tough time of year to start a new show about something that won't have any (sports) action for 2 months +.

I appreciate their sponsorship of the WBB and V-ball broadcasts. I have thoroughly enjoyed these webcasts. I look forward to reviewing what gets posted.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
      Chose a tough time of year to start a new show about something that won't have any (sports) action for 2 months +.

I appreciate their sponsorship of the WBB and V-ball broadcasts. I have thoroughly enjoyed these webcasts. I look forward to reviewing what gets posted.
      I think Tyler's concept is to talk about the non-sports activities at SDSU. But I didn't get a chance to listen this morning.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        I think Tyler's concept is to talk about the non-sports activities at SDSU. But I didn't get a chance to listen this morning.
        You are correct JimmyJack...I heard this a couple of days ago and they were talking about New Student Orientation. It seems to me they are trying to bring light to some non-athletic areas of campus which in my mind is a good thing!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          You are correct JimmyJack...I heard this a couple of days ago and they were talking about New Student Orientation. It seems to me they are trying to bring light to some non-athletic areas of campus which in my mind is a good thing!
          SDSU is such a HUGE part of the Brookings and ESD listening area, that I'm semi surprised that the local talk radio station hasn't done before. This is a nice way to reach out and educate the local population on what is going on at SDSU, and the multitude of community outreach activities that many were unaware existed in this active little micronism of the US.

While I have been away from Brookings for more years than I lived there, it's always fun to keep up with the home town.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
            SDSU is such a HUGE part of the Brookings and ESD listening area, that I'm semi surprised that the local talk radio station hasn't done before. This is a nice way to reach out and educate the local population on what is going on at SDSU, and the multitude of community outreach activities that many were unaware existed in this active little micronism of the US.

While I have been away from Brookings for more years than I lived there, it's always fun to keep up with the home town.
            Credit Tyler Merriam. He came up with this idea, and it's a good one. The kid's really running with his new position. And while we're on the topic of Brookings Radio, we're really lucky to have a local station that crates local programming. With most of the radio industry owned by several huge companies, most stations have little or no local programming.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              Credit Tyler Merriam. He came up with this idea, and it's a good one. The kid's really running with his new position. And while we're on the topic of Brookings Radio, we're really lucky to have a local station that crates local programming. With most of the radio industry owned by several huge companies, most stations have little or no local programming.
              Clear Channel Communications for instance. Hear the same 10 songs every two hours. Pretty sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
                Clear Channel Communications for instance. Hear the same 10 songs every two hours. Pretty sweet.
                Exactly. I especially enjoy the "DJ's" on Clear Channel stations pretending to be in your town when they're actually sitting in a studio in Dallas recording the same "announcements" over and over, localized for 150 markets. South Dakota is lucky that Clear Channel and Viacom haven't found it profitable to step in and buy all of our radio stations.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I used to listen to Grant's Peterson's afternoon show, but after awhile I started to realize that the only people he talked to on his show were people who bought time from him. So his show soon became a two three hour commerical at least to me. Not to thought provoking and same stuff over and over and certainly not too original.

Maybe that type of programming is good for local entrepenuers and merchant and a way to sell their goods, but I would prefer to hear something newsworthy in terms of local programing. I do like Tyler Merriman's idea in promoting SDSU as an institution.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    I used to listen to Grant's Peterson's afternoon show, but after awhile I started to realize that the only people he talked to on his show were people who bought time from him. So his show soon became a two three hour commerical at least to me. Not to thought provoking and same stuff over and over and certainly not too original.

Maybe that type of programming is good for local entrepenuers and merchant and a way to sell their goods, but I would prefer to hear something newsworthy in terms of local programing. I do like Tyler Merriman's idea in promoting SDSU as an institution.

I enjoy the "Afternoon Smoregesboard (sp?)" with Grant Peterson. I always figured most of his guests had some kind of paid agenda. That's the way it works....money talks. Grant can't work for free.

Is the SDSU programming that Tyler is doing free? Is SDSU paying 910, or did they agree to some kind of marketing plan? Brooking Radio is a business, they have a plan in place to make money off of this SDSU promotion, and there is nothing wrong with that.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                      I enjoy the "Afternoon Smoregesboard (sp?)" with Grant Peterson. I always figured most of his guests had some kind of paid agenda. That's the way it works....money talks. Grant can't work for free.

Is the SDSU programming that Tyler is doing free? Is SDSU paying 910, or did they agree to some kind of marketing plan? Brooking Radio is a business, they have a plan in place to make money off of this SDSU promotion, and there is nothing wrong with that.
                      No, SDSU isn't paying for it. Tyler just decided to do it so he wouldn't have to blab about meaningless wire stories all morning.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I stand corrected. It's a very noble cause for Tyler.
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                          I stand corrected. It's a very noble cause for Tyler.
                          And, if you think it's a good idea, SDSU fans/supporters need to call the radio station--to talk on the air if that's how the show goes, or just call, e-mail, or write to say "we're out here, we're listening, and we're going to support your advertisers--thanks for putting this show on the air!"

That makes a BIG difference, and will be an ongoing essential element in keeping the programming on the air and available.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                          X