Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huskers Andy Cotton looking for new home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskers Andy Cotton looking for new home!

With Coach Reggie looking for a large group of new players to add to the roster next year, maybe we should look to raid a Husker cast off. Andy Cotton was not offered a scholarship to return for his sophomore season at Nebraska. He would look great wearing Rabbit blue the next time he puts on his mitt.

It was obvious that Cotton, a redshirt freshman from Lincoln was being passed over by true freshmen - Ben Kline from Omaha. Cotton was not stellar with the bat, batting only .200 for the season, but he did that facing some of the best pitching every game he stepped into the batters box. He was considered to be outstanding with the glove, and we are talking for a team that was ranked in the top 10 for most of the year.

While Cotton would have to sit out a year after transferring from another D-I school, he would make a great impact on the squad with his two years in the Huskers program. He would even look good strapping on a helmet for the gridiron too. Of the five offers he had to play baseball coming out of college, both Brown and Cornell were encouraging him to play both sports.

For more information, check out this article: http://journalstar.com/articles/2008...1553768062.txt

Re: Huskers Andy Cotton looking for new home!

There seems to be some potential transfers here, but its up to the athletes to contact SDSU, as I understand the NCAA regs. Until that happens, I dont think Coach Christensen can do much. Hopefully Reggie has friends in the Nebraska program who can encourage them to call him. This is one part of the NCAA rules that seems to block, forces of the market meaning coaches who might be looking to fill scholarships but can not contact a student athlete that has signed a letter of intent and attending and participating in an athletic program at another institution. The choice to contact belongs to the student. So there may be many good reasons for this reg. Not a compliance experts so hard to tell.

Also I have not been paying enough attention and have no idea how much uncommitted scholarship money SDSU has to offer at this time. I believe we have no more than 15 scholarships split many ways.

If the money is available and the UNL students contact SDSU, then a possible match could happen.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 06-20-2008, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Re: Huskers Andy Cotton looking for new home!

Reggie said he is done recruiting for this year and is on to 2009. 14 recruits coming in including walk ons. Not sure he could find money for this young man. We definitely do not have 15 scholarships to split as the NCAA only allows 11.7 and we are not fully funded yet. Wish I could remember the number but I believe it's around 8.

Comment

Working...
      X