Miss South Dakota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss South Dakota

Well looking at the GoJacks.com website is see that Miss Alexandra Hoffman was named Miss South Dakota and will represent South Dakota at the Miss America Pagent. Here is the link to the story.

First off, congratulations to her and good luck at the Miss America Pagent.

So this got my curiosity up and in looking at her bio on GoJacks.com it states that see transferred from University of Minnesota and is on the Swimming Team. I'm sure she would not have transferred to SDSU if we were not D-1.

In her bio it stated that she holds 5 individual records at SDSU, all set this year. If you look at who holds the school records, you will see that she set all of these records this year and also was on 4 relay teams that also set school records this year. That is a total of 9 school records she set either as an individual or on a relay team. That is pretty impressive.

The Summit League also released the Winter-Spring Academic All-League individuals yesterday and Miss Hoffman was an Academic All-League selection.

I'm starting to understand why she was selected Miss South Dakota, she has many qualities that you would want representing South Dakota at the Miss America Pagent.

It is also good to see some exposure for the non-revenue sports at SDSU. The individuals on the non-revenue sports work just as hard and travel just as much as the revenue sports teams, only they don't always get the exposure that they also deserve.

Again congratulations and good luck at the Miss America Pagent.

Go State!!!
    Go Jacks!!!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Re: Miss South Dakota

Great article about this hard working swimmer.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...LIFE/901020314

Who is Alexandra Hoffman?

Hoffman, 21, grew up on a 5,000-acre cattle ranch in rural Eureka. "I worked four summers for my father on the ranch. I drove tractor, drove cattle and helped deliver babies, and I loved it," she says.

Hoffman is a Division 1 athlete, too.

She lifts weights three times a week, does Pilates and incorporates a cardio workout into her schedule every day to stay in shape for the the swimming and diving team at SDSU.

"They both hold South Dakota state records in swimming," Molly Hoffman says. "Alexandra holds five individual records at SDSU."

Brad Erickson, head swimming coach for men and women at SDSU, has known Alexandra Hoffman since she was 9 years old. "We recruited her her senior year in high school and she transferred to SDSU after the first semester of her freshman year."

"She gives 100 percent all the time. She is one of the hardest workers in practice I've had since I've been at SDSU," he says. She's also an excellent student and involved in the student advisory council, he says.

RR comments: With an ex from Eureka, that area is in the middle of nowhere, and due to my 20+ years with her, I had lots of opportunity to go to nowhere each year. Great people, but little to do. Very happy that a small town SD lady gets the opportunity to shine, both in Jackrabbit yellow and blue, but as a Miss America candidate.
    Last edited by rabidrabbit; 01-05-2009, 03:06 PM. Reason: separate article pastes from my comments.

Comment

You can vote for Alexandra (scale of 1-10, 10 being best) and the other 51 contestants here...

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/miss-ame...mpression.html

Comment

SDSU swimmer Alexandra Hoffman got a "gold sash" in tonight's fashion competition and by virtue of that will be one of 15 finalists in the Miss America competition next weekend.
        An account of the competition here: http://blogs.discovery.com/missamerica/

Comment

I see the blogger on the website is Nicole Nigg:

Nicole comes to us from Atlanta, Georgia. A graduate of South Dakota State University with degrees in Vocal Music Education and Communication Studies and Theatre, Nicole won the title of Miss South Dakota in 2000 and competed at the 2001 Miss America Pageant.
          Her Bio from the blog.

http://blogs.discovery.com/missamerica/
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Facebook page in support of Miss South Dakota:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=59767746083
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

We were channel surfing and happened to catch this contest last Friday night. Miss SD won the "little black dress" contest. Each contestant was given an hour to design and sew a dress; she was done in 45 minutes and spent the last 15 helping other contestants.
              Someone with that selflessness deserves everything she achieves in life.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksbacker View Post
                We were channel surfing and happened to catch this contest last Friday night. Miss SD won the "little black dress" contest. Each contestant was given an hour to design and sew a dress; she was done in 45 minutes and spent the last 15 helping other contestants.
                Someone with that selflessness deserves everything she achieves in life.
                It's that good Cherman background, from growing up in Eureka, SD dontcha know! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                  It's that good Cherman background, from growing up in Eureka, SD dontcha know! LOL

Thank you for that. My mom grew up there. Made me smile.

Comment

Kuchen (state dessert) and Al Neuharth (founder of USA Today), too!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                      Kuchen (state dessert) and Al Neuharth (founder of USA Today), too!
                      Ya, dey got some gut kuchen up there in Khureka, ya dey do!

Mobridge native here, love talking the Cherman accent

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                        Ya, dey got some gut kuchen up there in Khureka, ya dey do!

Mobridge native here, love talking the Cherman accent
                        No accent in her YouTube video for the contest. It comes up randomly in this post of the contestants. You gotta pick a rating number or skip button to get to the next one. She's doing pretty well in this competition.
                        She looks like a contenda...
                        http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/miss-ame...stImpressions3

Comment

Miss South Dakota did well. I saw a news report that said the highest any South Dakota woman has ever placed in the contest was in 1950 and that was for first runner-up. Maybe the Legislature should get involved and pass a law that says our ladies are no longer able to participate because they will never win.

Comment

Miss South Dakota did well. I saw a news report that said the highest any South Dakota woman has ever placed in the contest was in 1950 and that was for first runner-up. Maybe the Legislature should get involved and pass a law that says our ladies are no longer able to participate because they will never win.
                            Got a chuckle out of that.

Comment

Or a separate bill mandating that Miss South Dakota and Miss North Dakota renew a Miss Dakota rivalry.

Comment

Working...
                              X