X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gateway chages to MVC!

http://beta.argusleader.com/apps/pbc...DATES/80606041

WOW,

I would've bet money that this wasn't going to happen after talking to a few "in the knows"!! I think this is a good thing for SDSU athletics as a whole, but I guess we'll see.

Oops, Mods can move to Summit/Gateway section if you'd like. Or should I say Summit/Missouri Valley Conference! Has a nice ring to it!

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Re: Gateway chages to MVC!

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
    http://beta.argusleader.com/apps/pbc...DATES/80606041

WOW,

I would've bet money that this wasn't going to happen after talking to a few "in the knows"!! I think this is a good thing for SDSU athletics as a whole, but I guess we'll see.

Oops, Mods can move to Summit/Gateway section if you'd like. Or should I say Summit/Missouri Valley Conference! Has a nice ring to it!

Go Jacks!!

Never trust them, but anyways great day for SDSU and NDSU Cheers guys!!!
    BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

what does it matter? I just think its trouble..... you are going to have a football conference that's consist of about half of the MVC core members..... I just don't know....

Comment

I think this is a great development. It's hard to imagine any downside.

Comment

Seems to me that NDSU and SDSU would be naturals for the MVC. I do not want to put down the Summit League but ever since SDSU announced their intentions of going Division I my hope has been for the MVC. Unfortunately the MVC is most noted for mens BB and that seems to be our achilles heel now.

Arguably, the most prominent geographic element of both states is the Missouri River. If the MVC ever were to consider expansion they could have East and West divisions in basketball (and maybe other sports). The west would be made up of SDSU, NDSU, UNI, Creighton, Drake and Wichita State. The east would be Bradley, Evansville, IL State, IN State, Mo. State and Southern IL. teams could play within their divisions twice a season and the other division once. Followed by season ending division tournaments and lastly a conference tournament game. Seems to me it would also reduce travel costs.

If a former NCC school like UNI can be added to the MVC why not add the other two premier NCC schools too. Just dreaming a little here.

Think about this

Comment

I do not see full Valley membership for SDSU in the near future.

There's a bit of friction in the Valley between the football-playing and non-football schools, but absent any unforseen events (Valley football school to FBS or non-football school to a more high-profile conference) I don't see many slots in the Valley opening up any time soon.

We're better off trying to make the Summit League as strong as possible (by making our own programs as strong and competitive as possible). If we do that, conference membership over the long term will work itself out.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

This will be confusing to college fans inside and outside the affected conferences. It will be difficult to remember which school is in which conference for which sport. That's a small downside - or at least a challenge - for SDSU and NDSU as they try to build up recognition in multiple conferences.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                I do not see full Valley membership for SDSU in the near future.

There's a bit of friction in the Valley between the football-playing and non-football schools, but absent any unforseen events (Valley football school to FBS or non-football school to a more high-profile conference) I don't see many slots in the Valley opening up any time soon.

We're better off trying to make the Summit League as strong as possible (by making our own programs as strong and competitive as possible). If we do that, conference membership over the long term will work itself out.
                Quite honestly, I don't see it happening in my lifetime but it still would seem to make sense.

Comment

I agree with JackJD in that there is no down side to the name change.

As far as MVC membership, success in men's bb and home sell out crowds would be the key factors for consideration.

It seems like a very steep hill ahead of us especially in the big money sport Men's bb. Right now that is what the MVC is all about.

One step at a time. We need to find a way to beat ORU in basketball in Tulsa and Brookings within the same season. Once that happens and a Summit Conference champ gives us a big dance appearance, then things might start to happen.

SDSU has its challenges ahead of us and even if we are not in the MVC for basketball, lets hope we have made a name in MVC football.

Comment

Some more from Terry on the name change:

Some leftover tidbits from the news that the Gateway Football Conference will henceforth be known as the Missouri Valley Football Conference:

One of the initial concerns about the change was that Patty Viverito would no longer be allowed to be a part of the college conference commissioners group if the Gateway became known as the Valley. SDSU AD Fred Oien said that issue was resolved.

(read more)

Comment

I wanted to thank whoever decided to give me negative reps points with "What a Stupid Post" behind it over the weekend. Thought it was fairly newsworthy myself...............PRICK.
                      Maybe they should've changed it to the "North Central Conference"?? Much more nationally known in some people eyes.

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Propar80: I agree the neg rep and, particularly, the added comment was unwarranted. Some people aren't playing nicely in the sandbox.

Comment

Sent some love your way, ProPar... you know what they say about karma!
                          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Thanks guys, just got under the skin a bit...I should know better than to let that happen on a fanboard...but I'm better know!!

Just got back from the "HuskySportacular" up in St. Cloud, which is the equilivant of the Stan Marshall, but not even close to as cool or profitable for that matter...Thank goodness SDSU isn't D-2 anymore, you can practically see the boredom of the future of SCSU athletics(minus Hockey, of course) in the NSIC for a lot of the people there. Morris Kurtz, SCSU's AD stuggled to put a postive spin on their new home in the after-golf speech IMHO. Kind of sad to see to be honest, considering I'm an alumnus. On the other hand, you made your bed, now sleep in it.

Dang, I'm excited for August 28th!!!!!!!!!!! There, back on track.

As always,

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                              I wanted to thank whoever decided to give me negative reps points with "What a Stupid Post" behind it over the weekend. Thought it was fairly newsworthy myself...............PRICK.
                              Maybe they should've changed it to the "North Central Conference"?? Much more nationally known in some people eyes.

Go Jacks!!
                              I goT one of those too, but instead of "What a Stupid Post", I received a one word message namely "dumb". So some nameless individual with pusedo wisdom went on the warpath, I believe on Saturday. I agree it is irrating. Thanks for sharing about SCSU. Maybe the SM is doing fine when its compared with others who are trying to do the same thing, and that is connect with fans, alumni and do a little fundraising. Off topic here so will close with high expectations of SDSU in their first season in the MVC.

Comment

Working...
                              X