Kyle Minett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyle Minett

I am sorry to say that it's been two years since I've been to a Jacks game. I saw Kyle Minett play one game in high school and he was incredible. Will he play a major role this fall? I look forward to seeing him play.

Re: Kyle Minett

Would have to guess he is rated 1 or 2 and will make a huge impact. Last year when given the chance he was a very impressive back.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
      I am sorry to say that it's been two years since I've been to a Jacks game. I saw Kyle Minett play one game in high school and he was incredible. Will he play a major role this fall? I look forward to seeing him play.
      I can't wait to see him do some more running for the Jacks this fall. Looked very impressive behind a solid O-line last year. Hoping the "fat guys" can open some more holes this fall.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
        He's a terrific player and a really impressive young man. We had him on the Stig show last year and everyone involved in the production agreed that he's as good a public speaker as Megan Vogel was... and Kyle is only a sophomore.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I assumed he was listed at #1. Who else would be competing for the starting job? I figured Monke would be #2.

Comment

I have to add my impressions of Kyle from a fan in the stands only. I first noticed his name once as one of the guys staying in Brookings for the summer to condition, last summer I believe. Noting that he was Minnesota small school, I did not think too much about him playing a great deal. As others have said, he is indeed a very impressive running back and definitely be part of the Jack football future.

I also read this week in the Fargo Forum about a Bison Football Transfer. The name I dont recall, played a big role in helping Wayzta win the Minneosta 5A high school championship and the Bison had thought he would be a starter his first year. After year two of spring ball, this individual did not move up in the depth chart and is now transfering to St Johns, in Collegeville, Mn.

So where a student comes from means little. Home town has nothing to do with the talent and motivation of student athletes, its about individual effort, and so far Kyle has accompolished a great deal and will continue to do so, I believe. Since Jimmy Jack has gotten close to Kyle in producing the Stig Show, I take his conclusion and comments with respect.

Comment

Great thoughts Nidaros. I look forward to seeing Minett play this fall. I love the fact he's a good character guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                I have to add my impressions of Kyle from a fan in the stands only. I first noticed his name once as one of the guys staying in Brookings for the summer to condition, last summer I believe. Noting that he was Minnesota small school, I did not think too much about him playing a great deal. As others have said, he is indeed a very impressive running back and definitely be part of the Jack football future.

I also read this week in the Fargo Forum about a Bison Football Transfer. The name I dont recall, played a big role in helping Wayzta win the Minneosta 5A high school championship and the Bison had thought he would be a starter his first year. After year two of spring ball, this individual did not move up in the depth chart and is now transfering to St Johns, in Collegeville, Mn.

So where a student comes from means little. Home town has nothing to do with the talent and motivation of student athletes, its about individual effort, and so far Kyle has accompolished a great deal and will continue to do so, I believe. Since Jimmy Jack has gotten close to Kyle in producing the Stig Show, I take his conclusion and comments with respect.

It seems there are many athletes that have tons and tons of talent and little or no work ethic......they've never had to work to be a standout athlete.

It's nice to see someone from a smaller school come in and work his tail off to get better and probably overachieve a little. Take Megan Vogel for example. I don't believe coming out of HS that colleges, SDSU included, would have thought she would have turned accomplished what she accomplished at SDSU. She came in worked her tail off and became the absolute best she could be.

Hopefully Kyle can do the same thing. Hard work and dedication pay off....I know he had some good games last year so hopefully that carries over.

Comment

Another great example from that class of students is Wall HS graduate Conrad Kjerstad.
                  Kids like this don't usually get measured by recruiting "gurus" and are examples of why what recruiting class ratings are truly meaningless
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                    Another great example from that class of students is Wall HS graduate Conrad Kjerstad.
                    Kids like this don't usually get measured by recruiting "gurus" and are examples of why what recruiting class ratings are truly meaningless
                    Kjerstad's one of my favorite young players on the team. He showed us flashes of brilliance last year (interception for TD against SFA, for example). Stig says he's also a great character guy.

Speaking of not getting measured by recruiting gurus, how about Jimmy Rogers? There's a kid who's just 100 percent intensity and effort (and another good character kid). Stig and his staff have a knack for finding and motivating those kids.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      Kjerstad's one of my favorite young players on the team. He showed us flashes of brilliance last year (interception for TD against SFA, for example). Stig says he's also a great character guy.

Speaking of not getting measured by recruiting gurus, how about Jimmy Rogers? There's a kid who's just 100 percent intensity and effort (and another good character kid). Stig and his staff have a knack for finding and motivating those kids.
                      Also, its amazing how much intensity and character rubs off on other players. Generally the intense and good character players are leaders on the team. They rub off on their teamates in all aspects and all of a sudden you have a team full of players who truly believe no one can out work them and beat them on the field. I have to say the general attitude eminating from the current crop of football players is about as good as it's ever been since I've been a big fan of the program. It's hard to get a program to the point where a team goes into each game with an actual "belief" that they are going to win the game.* I think our program is at that point. And I think it was the move to D1 that ultimately facilitated that outcome.

*For what it's worth, I think there is a huge difference regarding a team being confident they can win and believing they can win. A belief is an overall culture in the program that grows over time and success. Confidence can easily be defeated when a game starts slipping away. Belief is harder to knock down.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                        Also, its amazing how much intensity and character rubs off on other players. Generally the intense and good character players are leaders on the team. They rub off on their teamates in all aspects and all of a sudden you have a team full of players who truly believe no one can out work them and beat them on the field. I have to say the general attitude eminating from the current crop of football players is about as good as it's ever been since I've been a big fan of the program. It's hard to get a program to the point where a team goes into each game with an actual "belief" that they are going to win the game.* I think our program is at that point. And I think it was the move to D1 that ultimately facilitated that outcome.

*For what it's worth, I think there is a huge difference regarding a team being confident they can win and believing they can win. A belief is an overall culture in the program that grows over time and success. Confidence can easily be defeated when a game starts slipping away. Belief is harder to knock down.
                        I doubt Stig reads this board, but if he does I think he is beaming with pride after reading a post by a former player. No disagreement here, except from your experience as a player, you found a way to put this in words. Every game since the Southern game, something has happen in which SDSU sometimes came from behind to win or even came close in a loss that I have never seen in the teams in prior years. Something has changed and it very likely is the attitude and motivation of the players.

I think back to the year before we started the transition and watching on Saturday after Thanksgiving the Grambling vs Southern game. My thoughts were that SDSU would never be able to give either team a close game. BTW, a former fellow employee and good friend is a Southern Grad, and he was as surprised as anyone was when we beat Southern.

I think too of the past two seasons, and all the close ones we won, and you can not think its all pure luck. Players and their beliefs definitely played a role when there might have been a mismatched at certain positions. Beating NDSU last year was not luck either but attitude and motivations. Check Bisonville out if you dont believe me. Our challenge of the season next year will be going to Fargo to win.

Comment

Watching the development of Minett reminds me of another small town Minnesota running back that became a legend in the 80's. Dan Sonnek had to follow in the footsteps of Rick Wegher. He did it as a walk-on and graduated as the all time back. (Until Ranek came along.)

Playing against Sonnek in high school, it was easy to see he was special as he dominated the small school competition. But nobody expected him to become a star so quickly. Like Minett, he out worked everybody. Academically, he is one of only five Jacks to earn an NCAA Post Graduate Scholarship. In the weight room he surpassed everyone during his sophomore season even though he was not physically imposing. On the gridiron, he led the nation in rushing during his sophomore campaign and ended up as the season and career leading rusher in the NCC. In the community he was noted for working with underpriveledge kids instead of being active in the evening clubs.

If Minett can emulate even half of those attributes, he will make his mark at SDSU and the Jacks will compete with NDSU and UNI for the conference. I hope to take my son to a game this year to show him Minett. It is outstanding young men like this that I want my kids to emulate.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                            Watching the development of Minett reminds me of another small town Minnesota running back that became a legend in the 80's. Dan Sonnek had to follow in the footsteps of Rick Wegher. He did it as a walk-on and graduated as the all time back. (Until Ranek came along.)

Playing against Sonnek in high school, it was easy to see he was special as he dominated the small school competition. But nobody expected him to become a star so quickly. Like Minett, he out worked everybody. Academically, he is one of only five Jacks to earn an NCAA Post Graduate Scholarship. In the weight room he surpassed everyone during his sophomore season even though he was not physically imposing. On the gridiron, he led the nation in rushing during his sophomore campaign and ended up as the season and career leading rusher in the NCC. In the community he was noted for working with underpriveledge kids instead of being active in the evening clubs.

If Minett can emulate even half of those attributes, he will make his mark at SDSU and the Jacks will compete with NDSU and UNI for the conference. I hope to take my son to a game this year to show him Minett. It is outstanding young men like this that I want my kids to emulate.
                            I remember Sonnek, a very good football player and seemed to be a great person. I recall about the only team that really stuffed him on the field and in Fargo were the National champs, NDSU Bison, who were very good during the Sonnek era. Otherwise Dan held his own. He was very consistent both classroom and playing field.
                            No doubt Minnett seems to be of the Sonnek-Ranek mold. Minnet like the other two never gives up easily on running plays.

Comment

Working...
                            X