AGS Preseason Poll.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGS Preseason Poll.

I was bored and tired of doing some accounting homework so I have been snooping around when I found this. We play 7 teams getting preseason votes. Should be interesting to see how we enter this season with a few holes to still fill.

Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25
    PRE-SEASON 5/26/2008
    (First place votes in parenthesis)
    1. Appalachian St. (76)
    2. James Madison (2)
    3. Richmond (1)
    4. North Dakota St. (2)
    5. Northern Iowa
    6. Massachusetts
    7. Montana
    8. McNeese St.
    9. Eastern Washington
    10. Wofford
    11. Delaware
    12. Southern Illinois
    13. Cal Poly (1)
    14. Youngstown St.
    15. Elon
    16. Georgia Southern
    17. Villanova
    18. South Dakota St.
    19. Eastern Illinois
    20. New Hampshire
    21. The Citadel
    22. Eastern Kentucky
    23. Fordham
    24. Yale
    25. Furman
    Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Harvard (33), Sam Houston St. (31), Delaware St. (29), Northern Arizona (27), Central Arkansas (24), Montana St. (24), Jackson St. (23), South Carolina St. (22), Jacksonville St. (18), Grambling St. (16), Liberty (16), Holy Cross (14), Western Illinois (13), Albany (12), Hofstra (12), Dayton (10), Hampton (10), Nicholls St. (7), Coastal Carolina (5), Colgate (5), Norfolk St. (5)

TEAM MOST ON THE RISE: Cal Poly
    TEAM FALLING THE MOST: Delaware

Re: AGS Preseason Poll.

I saw the same poll and posted it last night but then removed the thread I put up...I could not readily find information about the poll (who voted, when the voting period took place etc.) so I just decided to remove my thread. But, I'm glad Bluehatman decided to put it back up there. At least they're talking about us and we're getting some pre-season recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      I saw the same poll and posted it last night but then removed the thread I put up...I could not readily find information about the poll (who voted, when the voting period took place etc.) so I just decided to remove my thread. But, I'm glad Bluehatman decided to put it back up there. At least they're talking about us and we're getting some pre-season recognition.
      Anybody with a certain number of posts on AGS can vote in the poll. When it's all said and done at the end of the year, it's usually the most accurate poll. I think Rabid Rabbit votes and he probably knows more about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
        Anybody with a certain number of posts on AGS can vote in the poll. When it's all said and done at the end of the year, it's usually the most accurate poll. I think Rabid Rabbit votes and he probably knows more about it.
        The AGS poll is of interested fans. To demonstrate interest, need to have a minimum of 100 posts at AGS, and a series of other VOTING criteria to continue each week.

The AGS, since 2004, has the best track record of its pre-season picks making the play-offs, and of the highest # of picks still in the top 25.

82 members (out of an eligible pool of 900) voted. Yes, I was one of the 82. I hope that several other Rabbits joined also. Need some sane minds to withstand the Bison trampling, and AppSt lovefest. ;0

Had about 20 of the 25 picked, and all but 1 into the others receiving votes.

What is amazing is the dedication that the voters have to figure it out and track how all these 130 teams do.

This is my 3rd season, and I am looking forward to another hard-fought year for the Jacks.

To anyone that desires to participate in the actual season polling, you have to Aug. 1 to get over 100 posts to be invited to participate.

To help you track who is playing who and where, check out UNHWildcat's (Travis Liles') website.

http://travisliles.com/fcs/schedules.html

Comment

I actually voted this year. In my vote, 22 teams ended up on the offical Top 25 poll. I voted for Montana St. at 22, Delaware St. at 24 and South Carolina St. at 25, but none made the final poll. The team I had ranked higher than the actual poll was Cal-Poly. I voted them for 6th and they ended up 13th. Other than that I was usually within a couple slots from my poll. I also put 6 teams from the CAA and SoCon Conferences and 5 from the Gateway and they all made the final poll.

By participating in the poll I hope it will expand my knowledge of FCS football. I really have not paid a lot of attention to the CAA or SoCon conferences. For example I can name all the teams in the Big 10, Big 12, Pac-10, etc. but could not name more than two SoCon schools. Two years ago I probably did not even know there was a SoCon conference. There are a lot of good teams along the east coast and southern US that I really don't know a lot about. If you are an avid fan of SDSU football and want to learn more about other FCS teams, then participating in the poll is a good way to do it.
          Go State!!!
          Go Jacks!!!
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

It should make for a great year of Jack Football.

We play 8 teams that had winning records last year, plus, Iowa State.

Great teams include:
            Iowa State
            Northern Iowa (12-1)
            McNeese State (11-1)
            Southern Illinois (12-2)
            NDSU (10-1)
            Youngstown State (7-4)
            Cal Poly (7-4)

Comment

Lindy's has picked SDSU #14, #3 in Gateway and Eric Schroeder as Def POY for Gateway.

Not a bad first year

I don't have a link, it was from a post on the AGS board
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                The AGS poll is of interested fans. To demonstrate interest, need to have a minimum of 100 posts at AGS, and a series of other VOTING criteria to continue each week.

The AGS, since 2004, has the best track record of its pre-season picks making the play-offs, and of the highest # of picks still in the top 25.

82 members (out of an eligible pool of 900) voted. Yes, I was one of the 82. I hope that several other Rabbits joined also. Need some sane minds to withstand the Bison trampling, and AppSt lovefest. ;0

Had about 20 of the 25 picked, and all but 1 into the others receiving votes.

What is amazing is the dedication that the voters have to figure it out and track how all these 130 teams do.

This is my 3rd season, and I am looking forward to another hard-fought year for the Jacks.

To anyone that desires to participate in the actual season polling, you have to Aug. 1 to get over 100 posts to be invited to participate.

To help you track who is playing who and where, check out UNHWildcat's (Travis Liles') website.

http://travisliles.com/fcs/schedules.html

I am a Bison fan that votes in the AGS poll, and I have never picked NDSU as the #1 team, but to say we and Appy fans are not sane for voting 2 great teams in the top is wrong, I DID have SDSU in the top 20 (#18 to be exact) in my pre-season ballot along with Appy at #1 and yes NDSU at #5. I think those are good picks based on Last years finish, who Graduated or is returning, you guys lost some key players, NDSU has a pile of Offense and Defense returning, and Appy has Armanti Edwards, plus in the pre-season its hard not to vote the 3 time defending National Champ #1!! I'm all for as many Gateway teams in the top 25, and if you guys play like you did at the end last year you'll move up quick!
                BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

about 30 posts away from being able to vote in the AGS....

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                    I am a Bison fan that votes in the AGS poll, and I have never picked NDSU as the #1 team, but to say we and Appy fans are not sane for voting 2 great teams in the top is wrong, I DID have SDSU in the top 20 (#18 to be exact) in my pre-season ballot along with Appy at #1 and yes NDSU at #5. I think those are good picks based on Last years finish, who Graduated or is returning, you guys lost some key players, NDSU has a pile of Offense and Defense returning, and Appy has Armanti Edwards, plus in the pre-season its hard not to vote the 3 time defending National Champ #1!! I'm all for as many Gateway teams in the top 25, and if you guys play like you did at the end last year you'll move up quick!
                    TJ - If we removed Delaware, NDSU, App St, & Montana voters, I'd guess that the number of voters in the AGS poll drops to about 50 rather than the 82 who actually voted. These large fan base schools dominate the AGS. Glad to have them, but did want to poke SOME fun at our Bovine brethen. No reason to get hopping mad.

Comment

TJ - If we removed Delaware, NDSU, App St, & Montana voters, I'd guess that the number of voters in the AGS poll drops to about 50 rather than the 82 who actually voted. These large fan base schools dominate the AGS. Glad to have them, but did want to poke SOME fun at our Bovine brethen. No reason to get hopping mad.
                      Hopping mad? Now that is funny coming from a jackrabbit fan. Good one!

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                        Lindy's has picked SDSU #14, #3 in Gateway and Eric Schroeder as Def POY for Gateway.

Not a bad first year

I don't have a link, it was from a post on the AGS board
                        That's cool and Eric Schroeder is a monster who will be among the top defensive players in the Gateway (along with several other Jacks and Bison)...

... but as a check on their predictions, let's look at Lindy's GWFC predictions: Lindy's has Cal Poly unranked nationally and picked third in the GWFC, behind UC Davis (recall that Cal Poly beat UC Davis 63-28 last year) and UND. Might be giving UND a bit too much credit there to place them ahead of Jonathan Dally and Ramses Barden. Cal Poly returns 17 starters from a really good team last year and I'd bet they'll be in the playoffs this year. UC Davis looks to be rebuilding this year. So I'm a little skeptical of Lindy's predictions.

USD is picked fourth in the GWFC, FYI.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Yeah, I realized some of the faults in Lindy's model. I guess I thought their breakdown of the Gateway looked somewhat reasonable and liked the idea that Schroeder is getting his due.
                          The GWFC prediction is a mess and there is no way Cal Poly should be out of the top 20 going into the season. The big question Poly has to answer is will their defense be half of what their offense is, they struggled last year and must improve for Poly to be a playoff team. If they improve Poly should be playoff bound, if they don't Poly is likely to end up on the outside looking in (again). I wouldn't bet against them but that is why they aren't getting as much love early as many think they should.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Not getting mad just explaining that there are actually some people who lay down the "enemy" barrier and vote on performance, and I believe the regular season voters on AGS are fairly decent that way, but yes there is of course favorite team factor, but thats in any poll!
                            BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Working...
                            X