Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NDSU-SDSU Fans-- Are we still country Bumkins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU-SDSU Fans-- Are we still country Bumkins?

I am putting this thread in the Summit League since it involved a Fargo Forum Columnist and NDSU recent event that was written up with a sizeable article the day before involving the signing of a contract by NDSU with U Of Southern California for a men's bb game. Mike McFeeley seems to be to NDSU fans somewhat like Stu Whitney is to SDSU, in that he speaks his mind in his columns and often its not palateable to local fans and maybe its Mike's job is to stir as well. I think its odd to write this column one day after his employer made a big deal of the game with USC. It was a sizeable article. So who is the bumkin? Could it be the Fargo Forum? Partly as he does include the local media as part of the bumpkin community.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...Mike%20McFeely

I personally feel kind of bumpkinish because I never thought SDSU would ever take the D1, Plunge. I dreamed we would, but never thought the reality would happen in my time.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 05-03-2008, 11:49 AM.

Re: NDSU-SDSU Fans-- Are we still country Bumkins?

I think his article is right on the money. No reason to act like we are in awe of all these programs, because we aren't showing up to just show up. We want our teams to be competitive and not settle for "wow, cool we are playing (insert big name, big time program here)." I understand what he says about it being five years since we started the transition. I think SDSU has done some great things in this transition, including the conference championships. I hope we follow the mentality that we aren't here just to get run off the floor, field, etc. and be happy with just playing the big name school. SDSU is making a move to be a serious power in the region and I like that idea.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

His article kinda bugs me because it was the Fargo media and not the fans that were making a big deal out of the USC game. If you look at Bisonville(where the most rabid fans are), there was an announcement of the game, a few "cool, great, good game" comments, and then a tangent into who sang what rap song. Hell, the Wyoming football game got about 50x the reaction a few weeks ago. He does the same thing with the Bison/Sioux stuff. A couple months will go by without an NDSU/UND story and the fighting will drop to a low level. There's always a few words thrown around on the message boards, but without fuel, it dies down to a large degree. Then McFeely writes a column designed to stir things back up again and calls Bison fans idiots in a later column when it works. I don't mind him calling us and the university out when we deserve it, but I often feel like Charlie Brown to his Lucy; forever kicking at the disappearing football.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
        His article kinda bugs me because it was the Fargo media and not the fans that were making a big deal out of the USC game. If you look at Bisonville(where the most rabid fans are), there was an announcement of the game, a few "cool, great, good game" comments, and then a tangent into who sang what rap song. Hell, the Wyoming football game got about 50x the reaction a few weeks ago. He does the same thing with the Bison/Sioux stuff. A couple months will go by without an NDSU/UND story and the fighting will drop to a low level. There's always a few words thrown around on the message boards, but without fuel, it dies down to a large degree. Then McFeely writes a column designed to stir things back up again and calls Bison fans idiots in a later column when it works. I don't mind him calling us and the university out when we deserve it, but I often feel like Charlie Brown to his Lucy; forever kicking at the disappearing football.
        I think you're right. The media seems to be lagging in this process well behind the fans. Outside of Terry V, most people in the Sioux Falls media can't get our women's basketball coach's name right. Those of us who are paying attention are now more interested in competing with these "big-name" teams, rather than stupidly marveling at the fact that we're playing them.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Mike McF frequently writes anti-Bison pieces. He is also the auther of the "Bison will lose to the Jacks WBB for the next 4 years." I find his pieces inciderary and designed to give you pause, and firmly state opinions, whether with him or against him.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
            Mike McF frequently writes anti-Bison pieces. He is also the auther of the "Bison will lose to the Jacks WBB for the next 4 years." I find his pieces inciderary and designed to give you pause, and firmly state opinions, whether with him or against him.
            You don't believe this? I don't see how the women drop a game against NDSU in WBB in the next four years.

Are we still country Bumkins: We stop baseball games early because we have no lights. When we join the 1950s and get lights maybe we can play games instead of PPD them because it is raining 3 hours before game time. No reason why today's BB game should have got cancelled. You look outside at 5-6 p.m. and you wouldn't even known that it rained. And what was the deal with stopping the ORU game after one pitch? Just rediculous. Why even start. Playing three games in one day is not needed. Play two Sat. and two Sunday. At least the softball got their two games in this year. Six home games in two years. Nice investment on a field.

Comment

Originally posted by tlk23 View Post
              And what was the deal with stopping the ORU game after one pitch? Just rediculous. Why even start. Playing three games in one day is not needed. Play two Sat. and two Sunday. At least the softball got their two games in this year. Six home games in two years. Nice investment on a field.
              My understanding is that travel conditions is why ORU didn't want to do a 2&2. NCAA rules prevent 3 scheduled games on a day, but you can have two and the completion of a suspended game.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

ORU probably got home late Sunday anyway, so what's a couple of more hours. Start the first Sunday game an hour early.

Comment

Not saying they were right, just stating what I heard. I do not know why the travel was an issue, maybe they weren't going home but to somewhere else for future games. I don't know and haven't checked their schedule. My guess is that BOTH coaches would have preferred a 2&2, but it couldn't work out for some reason.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

ORU probably got home late Sunday anyway, so what's a couple of more hours. Start the first Sunday game an hour early.
                    Sure glad some of the posters here have so much more intelligence than the coaches who made the decisions this past weekend. Really enlightening!

I assume TLK you think ORU drove up here, since you don't seem to have any appreciation that visiting Summit League teams have airline schedules all set up and finishing the Sunday games later doesn't work. Scheduling a game at 8:30 a.m. Sunday wasn't too appealing to the coaches apparently, and they spent a lot of time researching the NCAA loophole (in the rule that you can only play two games in a day), which allows a "suspended game" to be finished before playing the two allowable games. That included calls to the Summit League to be sure it was approved.

The Friday weather was brutal, both coaches and teams, wanted to play four games, and the decision to make one pitch to start the game so it could be suspended and follow the rules was made jointly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                      Sure glad some of the posters here have so much more intelligence than the coaches who made the decisions this past weekend. Really enlightening!

I assume TLK you think ORU drove up here, since you don't seem to have any appreciation that visiting Summit League teams have airline schedules all set up and finishing the Sunday games later doesn't work. Scheduling a game at 8:30 a.m. Sunday wasn't too appealing to the coaches apparently, and they spent a lot of time researching the NCAA loophole (in the rule that you can only play two games in a day), which allows a "suspended game" to be finished before playing the two allowable games. That included calls to the Summit League to be sure it was approved.

The Friday weather was brutal, both coaches and teams, wanted to play four games, and the decision to make one pitch to start the game so it could be suspended and follow the rules was made jointly.
                      How embarrassing is it to call a game after one pitch? Get some common sense and don't even have the players warm up. I sure the dozens (maybe that number is too high) of people that showed up to the game, were happy that, after one pitch, the two sides got together and decided that was enough for the day. Has anyone heard of a game being called b/c or weather after one pitch? It's just comical.

Yesterdays BB game should not have been cancelled either. .07 of an inches of rain must have flooded that field to make it unplayable. If you were outside at 5:30 p.m., an hour after the game was suppose to start, it was great out. No reason the game couldn't have been PPD for an hour.

I don't know where you get scheduling a game at 8:30 a.m. I said start the noon Sunday game an hour early, which would be at 11 a.m. for those that don't know simple math, and then play the 2nd game after that. The bus ride (or in your case, plane ride) would get the ORU kids to school the next day late Sunday, early Monday morning no matter if they played one game or two. If ORU didn't have finals on Mon. then I am sure many of the baseball players would just skip their morning classes and sleep in.

Comment

How embarrassing is it to call a game after one pitch? Get some common sense and don't even have the players warm up. I sure the dozens (maybe that number is too high) of people that showed up to the game, were happy that, after one pitch, the two sides got together and decided that was enough for the day. Has anyone heard of a game being called b/c or weather after one pitch? It's just comical.

I don't think you understand. You had to start the first game in order to play three games on Saturday. I doubt anyone was there. In fact, some of the players were wearing different gloves and just messing around.

Yesterdays BB game should not have been cancelled either. .07 of an inches of rain must have flooded that field to make it unplayable. If you were outside at 5:30 p.m., an hour after the game was suppose to start, it was great out. No reason the game couldn't have been PPD for an hour.

I'm assuming it was cancelled because it was Augie. If it was a D-1 opponent, it most likely would have been played. It's finals week, let them work on their studies.

I don't know where you get scheduling a game at 8:30 a.m. I said start the noon Sunday game an hour early, which would be at 11 a.m. for those that don't know simple math, and then play the 2nd game after that. The bus ride (or in your case, plane ride) would get the ORU kids to school the next day late Sunday, early Monday morning no matter if they played one game or two. If ORU didn't have finals on Mon. then I am sure many of the baseball players would just skip their morning classes and sleep in.
                        Most likely they would NOT skip their morning classes and they would be tired. Playing only 1 game on Sunday gave them enough time to get back and get some sleep. They could finish up some homework if needed on the plane and possibly a little bit when they got back.

Comment

You DO have it all figured out. I'll give Fred Oien a call and let him know there's a guy on the board that he NEEDS to hire ASAP, because he's the equilavent of Kobe Bryant when it comes to running all things SDSU athletics. Good luck TLK.

Go Jacks!!
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
                            Most likely they would NOT skip their morning classes and they would be tired. Playing only 1 game on Sunday gave them enough time to get back and get some sleep. They could finish up some homework if needed on the plane and possibly a little bit when they got back.
                            I think that you underestimate how often some players come to class the day after games/late nights. I hear that the plane is a nice place to sleep. On Sat. you play the completion of the one pitch game and the first game of a scheduled double header. You push the second game back to Sun. and play Sundays game after the first one. Don't know if you went to college, but there is not a lot of homework during finals. Just limited studying.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                              You DO have it all figured out. I'll give Fred Oien a call and let him know there's a guy on the board that he NEEDS to hire ASAP, because he's the equilavent of Kobe Bryant when it comes to running all things SDSU athletics. Good luck TLK.

Go Jacks!!
                              I hint a bit of sarcasim, but you have yet to tell me what is wrong with my plan. Is it too much to ask to play a game on a 70 degree day when it quit raining three hourse before it should have started?

Comment

Working...
                              X