FCS Playoff to expand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCS Playoff to expand

I read about this last Friday, but didn't have time to post, this is BIG news for SDSU:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

Go State!

Re: FCS Playoff to expand

Another article from Terry V on the playoff expansion:

Playoff expansion will require adjustments
    Season length the same after move to 20 teams
    Terry Vandrovec • tvandrovec@argusleader.com • May 22, 2008

By most accounts, the NCAA Board of Directors' recent decision to expand the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs to 20 teams beginning in 2010 was necessary and overdue. The field has stood at 16 - the smallest in college football - since 1987 even as membership has grown by more than 30 schools, set to top the 140 mark in 2008.

"I really wish they'd have gone to 24 teams," South Dakota State coach John Stiegelmeier said.

And there are indications that they might in the not-so-distant future. But for now, some adjustments are in order after the move to 20 playoff teams, accomplished by adding two at-large bids and granting automatic qualifier status to the Northeast Conference and the Big South.

Meanwhile, the University of South Dakota - playoff ineligible until 2012 due to the Division I reclassification process - is scheduled to play only four conference games annually as a member of the Great West, and the elimination of the bye week leaves less flexibility in arranging non-conference games. Coyotes coach Ed Meiekort said that he wouldn't be opposed to playing each conference foe twice - ala the NFL - if that will help alleviate scheduling concerns.

(read more)

Comment

Re: FCS Playoff to expand

Good news. Good news. Maybe we can follow the lead of the Deleware schools and not play USD for a million years, then be forced to play them in the playoffs ... and whoop 'em.

On the other hand ... why wait so long to whoop 'em.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
      X