Drake Relays and Kip Janvrin Invite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drake Relays and Kip Janvrin Invite

SDSU will be in Iowa this weekend, some will be at Drake others south of Des Moines at the Kip. I will at the Kip Janvrin on friday and Drake saturday morning, anyone else going? The Drake relays is a huge event and the best across the country compete. http://www.godrakebulldogs.com/Sport...42&SPSID=71588

Re: Drake Relays and Kip Janvrin Invite

Gotta love the Drake.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
      Gotta love the Drake.
      ya it was about 40 there this morining. I laughed ecery time i saw some one from a southern school like Florida and Cal! It felt much worse at the Kip Janvrin as that race went late into the night and it was breezy.

Comment

School records fall at Drake Relays. The South Dakota State University men's and women's track and field teams each set a school relay record during the final day of competition at the Drake Relays on Saturday.

The Jackrabbit men bettered a 36-year-old standard in the 4x110-meter shuttle hurdle relay. The team of Brandon Priebe, Andrew Duitsman, Nick Schanaman and Zach Wirth placed third in the University Division with a time of 59.16 seconds, .04 seconds better than the previous record set in 1972.

SDSU's 1,600-meter sprint medley team of Corey Beffert, Duitsman, Dan Winders and D.J. Thompson turned in a 15th-place performance, 3 minutes, 36.13 seconds.

On the women's side, the Jackrabbit record in the 1,600-meteresprint medley relay was eclipsed by the quartet of Kristin Barrios, Brittany Garner, Heather Wollman and Ashley Storm en route to a 10th-place finish. Their time of 4:04.16 was more than two seconds faster than the previous record of 4:06.74 set in 1992.

The Jackrabbit women also posted a 15th-place showing in the 4x1,600-meter relay. The team of Caitlin Berry, Storm, Nicole Davis and Claire Steinke clocked a time of 21:06.90.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...ATCLID=1448940

Comment

Excellent results for the Jackrabbits. Just as an aside, Udot has some talented tracksters. Especially on the women's side. Their time in the sprint medley relay was 7 seconds faster than ours. The facilities in Vermillion definitely contribute to the advantage Udot has over us in track and field.

From the local paper regarding Udot:

The women’s sprint medley relay won the title in 3:56.64, which was nearly eight seconds better than second-place Oklahoma Baptist at 4:03.45. The squad included Stephanie Gebhart (Sr., Elkton, S.D.), Emma Erickson (Fr., Gayville, S.D.), Jenessa Filler (Jr., Crooks, S.D.) and Shaneaka Parkes (Jr., St. Ann, Minard Hill, Jamaica).
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            Excellent results for the Jackrabbits. Just as an aside, Udot has some talented tracksters. Especially on the women's side. Their time in the sprint medley relay was 7 seconds faster than ours. The facilities in Vermillion definitely contribute to the advantage Udot has over us in track and field.

The women’s sprint medley relay won the title in 3:56.64, which was nearly eight seconds better than second-place Oklahoma Baptist at 4:03.45. The squad included Stephanie Gebhart (Sr., Elkton, S.D.), Emma Erickson (Fr., Gayville, S.D.), Jenessa Filler (Jr., Crooks, S.D.) and Shaneaka Parkes (Jr., St. Ann, Minard Hill, Jamaica).
            Jamaica, Mon!!!! Where's John Candy coaching now?

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

USD has a great track program. That's the 1 sport where I think they've always been able to compete with the Jacks. I think that's the sport that they pushed up for qualifying for the playoffs. The facilities have a lot to do with that. SDSU doesn't even have a real track to practice on. I heard talk about fixing up the high school track but don't know how that stands. I wonder if/when SDSU will get their own track. I don't know how much money you want to spend on a track because they probably won't have many meets there.
              SDSU is getting better athletes in track though. That's why more records are falling. I look at the women's sprint medley relay. SDSU has 1 Fr and 3 So.'s. They should only improve. It seems like Gebhart has been at USD forever. I guess that's because she went in there and ran well right away.

Comment

Brookings H.S. is in the process of widening their track to 8 lanes and uprading the facility. Work began about a month ago.

I'm not sure how SDSU fits into those plans, if at all. I don't believe that the college has contributed any money to the project, but I could be wrong.
                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

A big part of USD's success in track: the head coach, Dave Gottsleben, is a Jackrabbit (sprinter in the early 70s).

Comment

Add to that the fact that NDSU's success in track and field (which has been considerable), Don Larson, is also a Jackrabbit! And SDSU's surging success is headed up by another Jackrabbit! GO JACKS!!

Comment

Working...
                    X