Iowa State fan here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa State fan here...

Just got back from our spring game awhile ago and it got me so excited for football season! And since you are our home opener, I thought I would stop by and see who was comin down for the game?!?

It's never too early to talk college football, so how are you guys looking this year? I'm not really that familiar with your football program, so a quick review of how your team will be this year would be great!

After watching our spring game, it looks like we have some work to do over the summer before kickoff... But, you can't expect very much in spring ball.

Who's all making the trip down to Ames for the game? It's on a Thursday, so I'm guessing that may hurt attendance for both teams. But, it makes for a good excuse to take a couple days off work.
    However, tailgating is a must when/if you come down! I suggest getting there at least 4 hours prior to kickoff to get a decent spot to tailgate. It's always hard to predict crowd size for a Thursday night game though.

Anyways, just thought I'd stop by and chat a little. If you have any questions about anything, let me know! I'd be more than willing to help you out!
    Good luck next year! Except against us...

Re: Iowa State fan here...

Welcome to the Board CyDave! I think attendance should be pretty good from SDSU as it will be our first against a FBS school since we made the move.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

If I can save my pennies and dimes for the gas money, I will be there. And in the mood to tailgate. I'm ready for the season, too. Save a beverage for me!

Our spring game is Satuday. We'll know more than. But not really ... if you know what I mean.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
        Just got back from our spring game awhile ago and it got me so excited for football season! And since you are our home opener, I thought I would stop by and see who was comin down for the game?!?

It's never too early to talk college football, so how are you guys looking this year? I'm not really that familiar with your football program, so a quick review of how your team will be this year would be great!

After watching our spring game, it looks like we have some work to do over the summer before kickoff... But, you can't expect very much in spring ball.

Who's all making the trip down to Ames for the game? It's on a Thursday, so I'm guessing that may hurt attendance for both teams. But, it makes for a good excuse to take a couple days off work.
        However, tailgating is a must when/if you come down! I suggest getting there at least 4 hours prior to kickoff to get a decent spot to tailgate. It's always hard to predict crowd size for a Thursday night game though.

Anyways, just thought I'd stop by and chat a little. If you have any questions about anything, let me know! I'd be more than willing to help you out!
        Good luck next year! Except against us...
        Is Wednesday night too early for tailgating?

I'm hoping I can swing taking some time off work and get a van load of buddies to go along with me.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
          If I can save my pennies and dimes for the gas money, I will be there. And in the mood to tailgate. I'm ready for the season, too. Save a beverage for me!

Our spring game is Satuday. We'll know more than. But not really ... if you know what I mean.
          Yes, that's the same position I am in. I find it hard to tell how good the team looks when they play each other. (i.e. Is it bad the offense can't move the ball? Or, is it good the defense stops the offense?)

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
            Is Wednesday night too early for tailgating?

I'm hoping I can swing taking some time off work and get a van load of buddies to go along with me.
            I suppose you could tailgate wednesday if you wanted! Most of the RV's get there the night before the game and tailgate.
            If you all head down here with your friends, stop by the students lots and say hi!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
              Welcome to the Board CyDave! I think attendance should be pretty good from SDSU as it will be our first against a FBS school since we made the move.
              What FBS teams have you played before? (before you made the move to FCS, obviously)
              And did you have any success?

Comment

We beat Wisconsin once

in 190something.

I don't think we have faced an FBS team in modern times.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Yes, that's the same position I am in. I find it hard to tell how good the team looks when they play each other. (i.e. Is it bad the offense can't move the ball? Or, is it good the defense stops the offense?)
                  What if the O and D are equally inept? That would be good for us, I guess.

I think many of us SDSU fans (not to speak for others) like to think we can hang tough with a reasonable chance of winning, considering the D-IA vs. D-IAA differences. And by that I mean ... oh, I don't know ... maybe one in eight, nine, 10. I just made that up. No science or inside info ... pure opionion. Jacks fans, am I being realistic? Well, even if I'm not, I think we're all excited for our first big-time game in decades. We've started slow (0-3) the past two years. Then we've finished strong. We need to come out of the gate playing well or the odds I gave above are rather silly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Should be a fun trip.
                  Last edited by JackFan96; 04-20-2008, 03:03 PM. Reason: changed three to two to correct error
                  Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I thought the state of the program at the end of 2007 tells much. We beat an undefeated NDSU team which was a very good football team, having a couple of FBS wins in the books. Some could argue the Bison probably played flat after their win over Minnesota but the game DVD tells the story. Every aspect of the Jackrabbit game was at least good and many parts were excellent. The players and coaches had it together.

We've started slow two years in a row. I'm willing to make a wager than we won't start slow this year but we're going to find out!

I think it'll be a great game with the Jackrabbits coming into the stadium trying to prove something in their first FBS-opponent game.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      We've started slow two years in a row. I'm willing to make a wager than we won't start slow this year but we're going to find out!

I think it'll be a great game with the Jackrabbits coming into the stadium trying to prove something in their first FBS-opponent game.
                      Always seemed to me like we were trying to find our identity the first few games the past two seasons. Always a little uncertainty early on at the QB spot, and it took a little while for the offense in general to get in sync. This season, I think were gonna have a major lift at the beginning of the season on O compared to the past two years simply with Berry back at QB.

My worry early on at the beginning of the season will be the new DBs holding their own and us not getting burned on the pass. We have some shoes to fill in losing Hoogeveen, Gentile and Koch. We've got some real good talent with the new guys and they will do a good job picking up the slack, but it may take a couple games to really get settled in there.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        I think it could be a good game. We are still in a big rebuilding process with a 2nd year head coach. We will also have a first year QB, both of whom are only Sophs.
                        Since Northern Iowa beat us last year, I don't think we will take you guys lightly. (at least I hope)

Comment

I think it could be a good game. We are still in a big rebuilding process with a 2nd year head coach. We will also have a first year QB, both of whom are only Sophs.
                          Since Northern Iowa beat us last year, I don't think we will take you guys lightly. (at least I hope)
                          I'm sure the Clones will not be taking this game lightly and I am also sure the Jacks will be coming to Ames not to just collect a paycheck or look respectable if you know what I mean.

I for one am very much looking forward to this game. I'm hoping it is a great indicator of our program being on the upswing and a bump in the road for the Clones rebuilding efforts.

Hey but thanks for coming here and talking to us. I don't think you'll hear any trash talk from us but you may hear a certain confidence based on some significant strides in our program. Again nothing you can hang up in a lockeroom.

Comment

Northern Iowa is a way to compare the teams.
                            SDSU lost by 14 at home last year. After that game, the only loss they had was @ Georgia Southern.
                            The year before that SDSU lost by 7 @ Cedar Falls.
                            Both team will lose a few players so you don't know but it's something. This will be SDSU's 1st year of playoff eligibility. They took a couple years to get to the max in scholarships but they're there now.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                              Northern Iowa is a way to compare the teams.
                              SDSU lost by 14 at home last year. After that game, the only loss they had was @ Georgia Southern.
                              The year before that SDSU lost by 7 @ Cedar Falls.
                              Both team will lose a few players so you don't know but it's something. This will be SDSU's 1st year of playoff eligibility. They took a couple years to get to the max in scholarships but they're there now.
                              Sounds like you guys are pretty competitive. UNI is/was a pretty good team.

Comment

Working...
                              X