X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU seeking new band director

I was just perusing the SDSU job listings and there is an opening for:

Director of Bands
    "Primary duties will be to manage all aspects of the SDSU band program, including the 320-member Pride of the Dakotas Marching Band. The faculty member will also recruit students, manage budgets, advise majors, and establish positive working relationships with area teachers. Performing on one's applied instrument, participating in appropriate professional organizations, score study, and drill design are samples of the types of scholarly and service-related activities appropriate for the position."

I see from the online real estate listings that Jim McKinney's house is on the market as well (I'm selling a house, so the listings are of interest to me.)

What's the story here? Anybody know?
    Last edited by JimmyJack; 03-31-2008, 02:25 PM.
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: SDSU seeking new band director

WOW... I really hope this isn't the case. I was in "The Pride" for 3 years and I have nothing but respect for the guy.

Of course, with a couple of well-recieved appearances in the Rose Bowl, plus an appearance on PBS' fourth of July celebration, I wouldn't be surpised if Mr. McKinney was a hot property, as band directors go.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

He is retiring. This has been planned for a couple of years. I think he may be staying one more year to orient his replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
        WOW... I really hope this isn't the case. I was in "The Pride" for 3 years and I have nothing but respect for the guy.

Of course, with a couple of well-recieved appearances in the Rose Bowl, plus an appearance on PBS' fourth of July celebration, I wouldn't be surpised if Mr. McKinney was a hot property, as band directors go.
        I'm with you there. We've knocked him around a bit here for his NDSU decision last year, but Professor McKinney did a remarkable job and will leave a lasting legacy of excellence behind. I was just surprised to find that job listing posted without having heard anything on campus about any events honoring him for his exceptional work.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

But, will the football team perform at halftime of the band's winter concerts next year?

(Oh, sorry, got confused . . . )

Good luck to Mr. McKinney . . . he's worked hard to make the Pride and all of the band programs in Music Dept. at SDSU what they are. It will be difficult to replace him.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
            I was just perusing the SDSU job listings and there is an opening for:

Director of Bands
            "Primary duties will be to manage all aspects of the SDSU band program, including the 320-member Pride of the Dakotas Marching Band. The faculty member will also recruit students, manage budgets, advise majors, and establish positive working relationships with area teachers. Performing on one's applied instrument, participating in appropriate professional organizations, score study, and drill design are samples of the types of scholarly and service-related activities appropriate for the position."

I see from the online real estate listings that Jim McKinney's house is on the market as well.

What's the story here? Anybody know?
            Interesting development. I don't think anyone would argue that there has been a difference in opinions between Dr. McKinney and some in administration. I also don't think you could argue that the quality of the SDSU band program has been excellent.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

If it is true that Mr. McKinney is retiring, I'd like to see Jim Coull in the running to take over the Pride. He's been Mr. McKinney's right hand man for many years, and I bet he could fill the big guy's shoes admirably!
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Jim McKinney is a first-class human being and SDSU has been very, very lucky to have as talented a person on staff. There may have been a difference of opinion on the band's appearance at last year's late November game...but there should be no difference of opinion on how big a loss this will be. I believe he is one of a number of outstanding people on SDSU's staff who could have gone to any university in the country and made the grade. (And also on my list is Jim Booher...both have built outstanding programs that equal any of their peers IMHO.) Both have established a high standard for their predecessors. Good luck to Dr. McKinney as he enters his well-earned retirement years!!

Comment

Best of luck to Dr. McKinney. Although he has taken a few bullets regarding the NDSU game, there is no doubt about his ability as a director which is evidenced by the quality of the bands he put on the fields for our entertainment. Whether or not they marched in November, he still knew how to put on a good show and I can only wish him the best.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                    If it is true that Mr. McKinney is retiring, I'd like to see Jim Coull in the running to take over the Pride. He's been Mr. McKinney's right hand man for many years, and I bet he could fill the big guy's shoes admirably!
                    I am guessing Coull might not want the position. If he did then they shouldn't be advertising for it.

There has been talk about both Coull and McKinney retiring since I was in the band (99-03). It will be a blow to lose McKinney but even more of one if Coull leaves.
                    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                    -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
                      I am guessing Coull might not want the position. If he did then they shouldn't be advertising for it.
                      Actually, tenure-track faculty searches are very highly regulated. You couldn't just give the job to Coull without going through the search process anyway. Sometimes it's actually much more difficult to hire an internal candidate because of the process you have to follow. So I wouldn't read anything into the situation. He might be interested, or he might not. But they have to do a search either way.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                      X