Proper "etiquette"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper "etiquette"

When fans such as ourselves, see one of our coaches, whether it be Nagy, Stig, AJ, or another of our various coaches on the street, what is the proper "etiquette" when saying hello to them?

Do the coaches like it when a random person comes up to them and calls them "coach" or is it more proper to call them "coach insert name here" or do they prefer "Mr. or Mrs. insert name here"?

Obviously each coach may care more or less than another, does anyone know how each coach prefers to be called by the common fan?

The reason I ask is I ran into Coach Stig the other day in Hy-vee Gas and struck up a conversation with just "Hey coach!" and while he'd never say to a person "thats Mr. Stiegelmeier or Coach Stig to you boy" I wondered after our conversation if I addressed him incorrectly.

Any thoughts?
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Re: Proper "etiquette"

Brings back memories of the "Hey Knight" controversy.

I would think that if you didn't know any of them or had never met one of the coaches that "Hey coach" or "Hey coach (insert name here)" is very appropriate.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
      Brings back memories of the "Hey Knight" controversy.

I would think that if you didn't know any of them or had never met one of the coaches that "Hey coach" or "Hey coach (insert name here)" is very appropriate.
      The "hey Knight" controversy? I haven't heard about that I guess. Time to do some research.

edit: Sept. 7, 2000 -- Knight grabs IU freshman Kent Harvey by the arm and lectures him on respect after hearing Harvey remark "Hey, Knight, what's up"? Harvey reports the incident to campus police and says Knight yanked his arm and swore at him. Knight denies he was rough.

I guess I didn't remember that that was the incident that ended his run at IU.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Out of respect for the profession I always address the person as "Coach Insert Name". It annoys the grap out of me when the radio interviewers address the coaches by their first names.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
          Out of respect for the profession I always address the person as "Coach Insert Name". It annoys the grap out of me when the radio interviewers address the coaches by their first names.
          I would agree with this. To this day I still refer to former coaches of mine (even those no longer in the profession) as Coach <insert last name here>. Over time as the coach gets to know you better he/she may let you know it's OK to refer to them in a more informal way, i.e. Coach Stig reminded me again and again when I was working in the A.D. that I could just call him Stig. I don't think any of our coaches have that chip on their shoulder that they would reprimand someone for an improper greeting, but out of respect, they are "Coach".
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Re: Proper &quot;etiquette&quot;

Coach XXXXXXX works for most but after their strong season and since he is retiring, Coach Lavin would like to be referred to as "Chadwick, Lord of the Round Ball" from now on.

Of course!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Let's keep the smack where it belongs, OK?
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I know this, just don't call them Coach Crap. Did that once in high school to an assistant football coach and it didn't go over too well. It's a hilarious story. Picture this: a skinny runner type who decided to go out for football for the first time as a high school senior. Absolutely worthless...worst guy on one of the worst teams ever at Watertown.

That'd be me!

Coach Crap was having a bad day and he decided to hit me on the head after I asked a question seeking clarification about where I should stand in a formation during practice. After he rang my bell a little, I turned to one of my teammates and muttered something like "Coach Crap apparently doesn't know where I'm supposed to stand either."

That really ticked him off.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  I know this, just don't call them Coach Crap. Did that once in high school to an assistant football coach and it didn't go over too well. It's a hilarious story. Picture this: a skinny runner type who decided to go out for football for the first time as a high school senior. Absolutely worthless...worst guy on one of the worst teams ever at Watertown.

That'd be me!

Coach Crap was having a bad day and he decided to hit me on the head after I asked a question seeking clarification about where I should stand in a formation during practice. After he rang my bell a little, I turned to one of my teammates and muttered something like "Coach Crap apparently doesn't know where I'm supposed to stand either."

That really ticked him off.
                  Now that's funny.

Comment

Working...
                  X