Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Summit Tournament headed to South Dakota?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit Tournament headed to South Dakota?

It sounds like this guy is not to happy the Summit Tourney is coming to South Dakota. Of course he has the city wrong.

http://www.tulsabeacon.com/?p=185

Re: Summit Tournament headed to South Dakota?

Just shot him a nice e-mail in regards to his "reporting".

JimmyJack/SFSD, you've got to tell me considering you guys are in this world(journalism). How does a reporter and his editor let errors like this go?
    If I made an error like this in my job, I'm pretty sure I be worried about my job's life-span.

BTW, IMO, Tulsa will be lucky to get this event back after SF and Fargo get a chance to host it for few years. I watched the Summit League finals on ESPN...the attendance was in one word...Pathetic.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
      It sounds like this guy is not to happy the Summit Tourney is coming to South Dakota. Of course he has the city wrong.

http://www.tulsabeacon.com/?p=185
      Sent him a brief e-mail myself. I invited him up and I hope he makes the trip. I have little doubt he'll be impressed. I hope the people in charge take advantage of this opportunity and give it their best effort.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Got a reply from the columnist and he apologized for the error and said he will be submitting a correction this week. He said he is looking forward to his trip to SD, since he has been to 32 states in his lifetime.

I replied by hoping that he enjoys his stay, but hope the student-athletes enjoy it even more, because they deserve better fan-support than what they've been getting in Tulsa. I hope they receive it whether SDSU/NDSU is in the finals or not. But if they are...that will be the toughest ticket in the history of the SF Arena.

Go Jacks!!
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Sometimes, there is a distinct advantage in being a big fish in a smaller pond. As has been demonstrated in our three WNIT games that South Dakotans will be out to see high quality, DI action. A ticket to the BIG DANCE in SD should get a good crowd out to catch the action.

Comment

This guy made himself look like an ass with a capital A. Its good that he took notice and they are printing a correction, but its probably gonna be buried on page 47 in 8 point type with a tight track. His mistaking Brookings for Sioux Falls is nothing short of incredible. Somebody also needs to let this guy know that basketball is played indoors, so who the hell cares about the outside temperature? Seriously, he's crying about the outside temperature??? If Sioux Falls doesn't host in 2011 I hope it goes to Fargo and its -30 out so he really experiences some cold weather.

Comment

I think the media, participants and fans in the Summit Tournament will be quite surprised at the ability of South Dakota to host this event and give it the exposure, marketing and attendence it desperately needs. I really this Sports crazy region will turn out in droves to see a quality product.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                Just shot him a nice e-mail in regards to his "reporting".

JimmyJack/SFSD, you've got to tell me considering you guys are in this world(journalism). How does a reporter and his editor let errors like this go?
                Well... to be honest, part of the answer to your question is that the Tulsa Beacon isn't much of a newspaper. I believe it's a weekly started by some disgruntled employee laid off by the real newspaper there, The Tulsa World, six or seven years ago. The "quality" of that column should give you an idea of what kind of publication it is. It's $30 a year. That should also help us understand what kind of publication we're talking about.

More to the point: If an Argus reporter wrote a column like that with a major factual error as its premise, and without making even a cursory effort at reporting, they'd probably be in serious danger of being fired. As for the reporting here: (The writer asks: Why go to Sioux Falls? Um... why don't you ask Tom Douple that question? They sure aren't doing it to "spread it around" as the reporter speculates. But then again, a phone call might take five minutes...)

Maybe somebody should ask this guy if he's checked out how Tulsa did hosting the tourney this year. Did they line up a full slate of sponsors? Did they have tournament and game management nailed down? I think he might be surprised by the answers. But then again, that would require reporting, and speculation is so much easier.

BTW, I think you're right. Given the way Tulsa left this thing hanging this year, I would be very surprised if they see the tournament there any time soon.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Per Terry's blog post yesterday, he is asking for people's opinion on how successful the tourney will be in Sioux Falls next year. Take a minute and post your thoughts in response to Terry's question.

In case you haven't heard, the Summit League basketball tournaments are coming to Sioux Falls - which is not Brookings - in 2009 and 2010.
                  The goal, roughly one year out, is to break the tournament attendance record, a number that varies based on your preferred line of thinking. (My vote is for 23,073 by Sprinfield, Mo., in 1987.) Sioux Falls organizers are convinced that the people of this region will recognize the level and importance of the event and will show up even for that games that don't involve SDSU.

My knee-jerk reaction to that: Have you seen the attendance numbers for past games played in Sioux Falls that DID involve SDSU? A respectable 7,239 for a football game and tepid 2,083 for a men's basketball game against Manhattan, both in 2005. Granted, those were regular-season contests (held at a time when the Division I move was yet being amply opposed), but it's still perhaps not the slam dunk some might hope.

So my mind started turning: Maybe the tournament's best chance at drawing record crowds is to have the brackets align so that one team from SDSU and one from NDSU plays in every session. But on second thought, it might be more beneficial to have the Bison and the Jacks wind up in the SAME session.

Think about it: Worried that they might miss out on single-game tickets and perhaps seeing their squad make school history, the SDSU and NDSU fans rush out to buy all the all-session passes (this year's cost: just $55) that are available. That doesn't seem entirely out of the question considering the Jacks pre-sold about 2,500 tickets - just to season-ticket holders - for this year's WNIT.

Barring all sorts of unlikely organizational snafus, attendance will be the issue that will make or break the event. So let's hear it, ticket-buying public, will the Summit League tournaments be a smashing success in Sioux Falls?

(read more)

Comment

I had also sent a message to him. He asked me to put this on this blog for us all.

Here it is:

Could you do me a favor and post the following to the SDSU Fan blog? I asked someone else to do the same, but I don't know that he will. Thanks for your help.

Jeff B.

Thanks for your many messages.

I knew that the tournament is to be held in Sioux Falls, but for some reason I confused myself while writing that piece and went with the campus location. There is a correction in my colunn this week.

I too was disappointed with the turnout for the final game considering ORU had averaged over 6,000 in their last six home games. In the past few years The Summit League Tourn. had been well attended, but it may be that Tulsa has become Ho-hum about it, so maybe it is best that the tournament go some where else for a while, where it will be fresh and well attended. (I think I pointed that out in my column) So God bless you folks in South Dakota, and I hope you sell out every session of the tournament. I'm sure you'll put on a good show and welcome the visitors from around the country.

Remember, it was just an opinion piece regarding the the choices the league has, and I was trying to point out some of the other choices around the league as well. I understand your love for your area and your fan support, however, I don't deserve the personal attacks I've received in some of your emails. Just to set the record straight, I am not a fulltime employee of the Tulsa Beacon, I just write the sports column each week.

Anyway, my sincere apologies to all those on the SDSU Fan blog, and welcome to the Summit League.

Jeff Brucculeri

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
                      I had also sent a message to him. He asked me to put this on this blog for us all.

Here it is:

Could you do me a favor and post the following to the SDSU Fan blog? I asked someone else to do the same, but I don't know that he will. Thanks for your help.

Jeff B.

Thanks for your many messages.

I knew that the tournament is to be held in Sioux Falls, but for some reason I confused myself while writing that piece and went with the campus location. There is a correction in my colunn this week.

I too was disappointed with the turnout for the final game considering ORU had averaged over 6,000 in their last six home games. In the past few years The Summit League Tourn. had been well attended, but it may be that Tulsa has become Ho-hum about it, so maybe it is best that the tournament go some where else for a while, where it will be fresh and well attended. (I think I pointed that out in my column) So God bless you folks in South Dakota, and I hope you sell out every session of the tournament. I'm sure you'll put on a good show and welcome the visitors from around the country.

Remember, it was just an opinion piece regarding the the choices the league has, and I was trying to point out some of the other choices around the league as well. I understand your love for your area and your fan support, however, I don't deserve the personal attacks I've received in some of your emails. Just to set the record straight, I am not a fulltime employee of the Tulsa Beacon, I just write the sports column each week.

Anyway, my sincere apologies to all those on the SDSU Fan blog, and welcome to the Summit League.

Jeff Brucculeri
                      Classy response by Mr. Brucculeri, thanks for sharing that.

Comment

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=0,67748

so if i read this right on keloland.com, all teams wont come to the arena? only 8 mens and 8 womens teams? does that mean the 9th and 10th place teams wont play in the summit tourney or how are they going to do it next year?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                          http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetails6162.cfm?Id=0,67748

so if i read this right on keloland.com, all teams wont come to the arena? only 8 mens and 8 womens teams? does that mean the 9th and 10th place teams wont play in the summit tourney or how are they going to do it next year?
                          Correct. Same thing happened this year and has in the past. NDSU would have been eligible for the tournament, we wouldn't have been at 10th. But neither eligible this year because we weren't eligible for the tournament.

Comment

Does anyone know if video boards will be installed for the tourney?
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                              Does anyone know if video boards will be installed for the tourney?
                              Dak has equipment that they could rent if needed. It so happens I work in our rental equipment department.

Comment

Working...
                              X