Centenary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centenary

Centenary Director of Athletics Dr. Tom Tallach today announced that Rob Flaska’s contract would not be renewed as head men’s basketball coach. A search for Flaska’s successor will begin immediately.

“Over his three years, Rob was able to make some progress under some difficult circumstances. For that we are very appreciative,” said Tallach. “At this time, we are looking for something different in terms of leadership, and that is the rationale for this very difficult decision.”

Flaska recently completed his third year at the helm of the Centenary men’s basketball program. He came to lead the Gents after five years of successful assistant coaching stops at both Arkansas and Texas Christian University. His two recruiting classes at Arkansas were ranked in the top five by many major basketball publications.
    http://www.gocentenary.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=1412218&DB_OEM_ID=17900

Rumor from down south (ORU) is along the lines of Centenary very close to moving down to D-2. We'll see what happens. Two head coach openings in the Summit League as of right now.

Re: Centenary

Wow. I don't know how giving a coach only three years and then dumping him does a shaky program like Centenary much good. They lack a lot of resources, but patience doesn't cost anything. It looked to me like they had some decent players. You just have to wonder who's going to want to take on that job.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

If this happens how will this affect our conferences automatic bid? I believe there are a minimum number of teams needed.

If this happens it seems the Summit would take a long hard look at USD and UND, which I really don't want them in our conference....the reason? They are copying our every move....trying to get into the same conferences. Would like to seem them do something on their own without help from SDSU and NDSU. They weren't willing to help 5 years ago, but they are sure willing to copy our every move when we were successful.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        If this happens how will this affect our conferences automatic bid? I believe there are a minimum number of teams needed.

If this happens it seems the Summit would take a long hard look at USD and UND, which I really don't want them in our conference....the reason? They are copying our every move....trying to get into the same conferences. Would like to seem them do something on their own without help from SDSU and NDSU. They weren't willing to help 5 years ago, but they are sure willing to copy our every move when we were successful.
        Losing Centenary would put the Summit right on the edge of losing the MBB autobid. Just remember the numbers 7/6/5; 7 core institutions, of which 6 have played together for the previous 5 years. With CC, we're currently at 8/7 and will hit 8/8 in 2012-13 when IPFW has been in the conference for 5 years. Assuming no changes, we'll hit 10/10 in 2016-17 when the xDSU's reach core institution status.

Because of the core inst. issue, I see Chicago State and UTPA as front runners for the hole Cent would leave. Along with Savannah State(way too far outside the Summit's footprint), they are the only core institutions that are independent. Also, seriously look at Utah Valley State as a way to solidify SUU in the Summit. The only way I see the UxD's added to the conference is if we lose two schools and expand to 12, or stay with the current lineup and expand to 14. I don't see either happening; the southern and eastern members don't want two trips to the Dakotas each year - too expensive. Also, it would mean splitting the small share of the MBB tourney pie that much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
          Losing Centenary would put the Summit right on the edge of losing the MBB autobid. Just remember the numbers 7/6/5; 7 core institutions, of which 6 have played together for the previous 5 years. With CC, we're currently at 8/7 and will hit 8/8 in 2012-13 when IPFW has been in the conference for 5 years. Assuming no changes, we'll hit 10/10 in 2016-17 when the xDSU's reach core institution status.

Because of the core inst. issue, I see Chicago State and UTPA as front runners for the hole Cent would leave. Along with Savannah State(way too far outside the Summit's footprint), they are the only core institutions that are independent. Also, seriously look at Utah Valley State as a way to solidify SUU in the Summit. The only way I see the UxD's added to the conference is if we lose two schools and expand to 12, or stay with the current lineup and expand to 14. I don't see either happening; the southern and eastern members don't want two trips to the Dakotas each year - too expensive. Also, it would mean splitting the small share of the MBB tourney pie that much more.
          Chicago St would be the slam dunk favorite, as they were member til this year. Could quickly add them back in.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
            Chicago St would be the slam dunk favorite, as they were member til this year. Could quickly add them back in.
            I would second that...but in all this talk about Centenary, I haven't heard any mention of the buyout guarantee (to leave the league) that supposedly all the teams in the league agreed to (for a period of time that I thought was five years)? Then again, I guess if a team dropped out of Division I, maybe there is a clause that covers this situation, as I think the main reason was to provide stability to the Summit League so teams weren't leaving to join other conferences. Anybody know any more on that?

Comment

Terry mention I think it was Houston Baptist or some Texas school that was also looking at the Summit League...... I think if/when the Summit League chooses to expand they will either ad Chicago State because they were previously a member or ad a school closer to SUU to solitify a traveling partner for them or ad a Texas university... If all of them pass then the UXD's will be looked at but until thenI don't see it happening.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                Terry mention I think it was Houston Baptist or some Texas school that was also looking at the Summit League...... I think if/when the Summit League chooses to expand they will either ad Chicago State because they were previously a member or ad a school closer to SUU to solitify a traveling partner for them or ad a Texas university... If all of them pass then the UXD's will be looked at but until thenI don't see it happening.
                If the Summit is looking to add just one team I could see Utah Valley St. being added as travel partner for Southern Utah as a first option or Texas Pan-Am or Houston Baptist being added as travel partner for Oral Roberts, although Texas Pan Am is really out of the way and I see them as a lesser option. Otherwise adding in Chicago St. and pairing up UMKC and ORU together and Chicago St. and Western Illinois would be an option as well I suppose, though that still leaves SUU on an island on its own.

I think the best option would be add UVSU and pair them with SUU and pair up UMKC and ORU. The UXD's could also be in consideration if this happens a few years down the road, though they are much less desirable because of their not being DI tourney eligible.

Comment

The only teams that would be added in the next 3 to 5 years will be ones that can INSTANTLY be a CORE SCHOOL. Transferring from D-II (or NAIA for Houston Baptist) is a MINIMUM 13 YEAR process. SDSU started in 2003 for the change. WE will not count as a CORE school UNTIL 2016!!! Because it is a SHORTAGE of CORE ELIGIBLE SCHOOLS that will drive the Summit until 2014 (Can swing a 2 year without sufficient # of core schools), ONLY THOSE CORE ELIGIBLE SCHOOL from the independent ranks would be considered (unless Summit could successfully raid another conference (Southland/OVC?)) Those Core eligible schools are a total of THREE. UT-Pan American (Rio Grande Valley, long ways away), Chicago St (Chicago, ex Mid-Con), and Savannah St (Savannah GA, and more marginal than Centenary).

We got in because the Summit need MORE TEAMS (10 is nearly ideal bb conference size) and we have more sports than their other schools. IPFW got in because they were the 4th CORE eligible independent, and in the footprint.

The Core eligibility issue is the ONLY consideration for ANY replacement. MUST MAINTAIN BB Auto-bid.

Comment

If Centenary drops out, the only two schools I can see the league adding are Chicago State and Utah Valley.

Chicago State has a history with the league (good and, I suppose, bad) and as others have mentioned bring with them a core status. The league could also make an argument with the NCAA that the continuity requirement should be reduced for CSU because they dropped from the league and were re-added. (Pretty sure it wouldn't fly, but it's an argument, anyway.)

Utah Valley is of course a pure play to keep SUU in the conference and give the other teams a travel partner.

Another option--obviously not the best one if CC is serious about dropping down--is the Summit League pitching in $$ to keep Centenary in the league until IPFW would replace them as the 7th team for core-continuity requirement, then saying a fond farewell. That would, um, suck.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The following comment from TV's blog (linked in a different site) is worth noting in this thread:

The word out of Shreveport: Don't put too much stock in ousted Centenary coach Rob Flaska talking about the school leaving Division I. Those rumors have been around for years and aren't likely to come to fruition anytime soon.

I think/hope TV's advice is right on the money. In addition to keeping Centenary in the fold, the best SDSU and NDSU can do -- since we are not core schools yet -- is to up the competition level of the league so that it may be possible to pick up other schools (or raid other conferences). Improving the level of competition by the XDSUs is already occurring in several sports for both the men and women. Our Summit League rivals won't sit back and let the XDSUs take over so they'll bring a better game to the league. (E.g., I heard one of the league coaches at the Summit League Indoor Track Meet muttering "I already don't like those Bison...this was said in a friendly manner, carrying with it the meaning 'we're not going to take a back-seat to these guys'").

Comment

I think if Centenary leaves it will be atleast 2 years down the road..... You don't just one day say I'm going to drop down from the rankings you put a plan in place and do so..... The Summit League should be looking for 3-4 teams though to add. Because I think everybody will agree that sooner or later Centenary is going to leave, and that if we don't find a traveling partner for SUU they may leave.... Also have to look at expanding to 12 teams, just to make the league more stable.....

Comment

Because of a debate about this subject on bisonsports.net, I looked into the different travel combinations of losing or adding members. The absolute best combination from a travel standpoint was to drop SUU and Cent, and add Chicago St, SIU-E, UND & USD. It would leave the Summit as a 12-team, 2 division conference with an average distance between travel partners of about 175 miles and a worst case of 270 miles between ORU and UMKC. Each team would play every member of its own division twice, and the opposite division once. It would look like this:

East
                          IPFW/Oak 215mi
                          IUPUI/CSU 185mi
                          SIU-E/WIU 175mi

West
                          UMKC/ORU 270mi
                          NDSU/UND 80mi
                          SDSU/USD 115mi

Personally, I don't think that arrangement is very likely(it requires too many events to happen in exactly the right order), but it is the best for travel. It might even allow games on back-to-back nights.

A more likely arrangement is to keep SUU and add UVSU instead of the UxD's. That config gives an average distance of about 210 miles. The East division remains the same, and the West division becomes:

West
                          UMKC/ORU 270
                          NDSU/SDSU 190
                          SUU/UVSU 215

Regardless of these hypothetical scenarios, I don't really expect the config of the Summit to change anytime soon. I don't think the Big Sky will change its position on SUU until Sac St leaves to join the Big West/GWFC or Montana(and Montana St) move to FBS, but neither of those scenarios are very likely. Without that, the Summit is all that SUU has. And now that it looks like Cent has re-committed to DI, I don't expect any moves in the next 4 years. I'm hoping the next major move will be when NDSU and SDSU move to FBS and join the MVC. It's a long-shot, but I can still dream.

Comment

I would look to see if some Centenary news about a replacement will come out shortly after the Final Four. The Final Four gathering seems to be a great place to interview candidates and hire new coaches. I am very interested to see what information is made public about their new hire, such as salary etc. There usually are more candidates then there are openings so Centenary should be able to come to terms with some one soon.

Comment

well they tried to get a naia d1 coach

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...803280310/1026

Comment

Working...
                              X