Favre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favre

As much as I despise the Packers, it will be odd to not see Favre out there next year. He was one of the greatest, no doubt.

Now we see how much Aaron Rodgers soaked up as a backup the last few years. Any Packers fans know who Rodgers backup will be?
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Re: Favre

He was a great quarterback, and he will be missed......by packer fans. I've been waiting for this day for so long as a Vikes fan. I was actually quite surprised that he retired, thought he would be back for at least another year, if nothing else other than to torment vikings fans.

BTW,
    If darkerstill doesnt post on here for a while its because he is mourning. Isnt that right darkerstill.

Comment

As you can imagine, the announcement is going over like a dear relative was killed here in Wisconsin. If you mistakenly thought there were items that were newsworthy yesterday besides the Brett Favre retirement announcement, you were sorely mistaken according to every media outlet in the Greater Milwaukee area. They barely had time for the weather and traffic updates this morning. It is the first and last thing most people are talking about no matter who you talk to. It really is amazing to experience. They love their Packers here in Wisconsin.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

ESPN is treating it like he died.

THey are going a little over board in my opinion.

Comment

One interesting note on Mike & Mike this morning. Since 1992 Green Bay has the winningest record in football. I don't care how many int's the guy threw, that says a lot right there.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
            One interesting note on Mike & Mike this morning. Since 1992 Green Bay has the winningest record in football. I don't care how many int's the guy threw, that says a lot right there.
            That is a very good point. Keep in mind how bad the Packers were before Favre got there. They were one of the worst teams for the 16 years before Favre got there and then one of the best for the next 16 years.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
              As you can imagine, the announcement is going over like a dear relative was killed here in Wisconsin. If you mistakenly thought there were items that were newsworthy yesterday besides the Brett Favre retirement announcement, you were sorely mistaken according to every media outlet in the Greater Milwaukee area. They barely had time for the weather and traffic updates this morning. It is the first and last thing most people are talking about no matter who you talk to. It really is amazing to experience. They love their Packers here in Wisconsin.
              I have a friend (a vikes fan) who recently moved to wisconsin..she said it's absolutely crazy how everything revolves around the Packers...all the time....here's one of her posts from another forum:

I was DELIGHTED that the Giants won. I don't hate the Packers, but I sincerely detest the fans. They are very arrogant. All news channels dedicated ALL stories to the Packers, even if it wasn't directly related. Here are some examples.

"Cold Weather Coming! Find out how Brett Favre feels about it!"
              "Packer fan is injured in car accident"
              "Chese vs. Chowder, how will the Packers defeat the Patriots?"
              "Packer fans race to get Super Bowl tickets"
              "Deanna Favre's favorite recipes!"
              "Woman accidently shreds Packer ticket"
              "Both The Packers and Giants will have to print "NFC Champions" gear to sell immediately after the game. What will the Giants do with all of those worthless t-shirts?" (This was a huge question, and literally a big concern. They hoped the Giants didn't print too much stuff because there isn't a good way to dispose of them)

My personal favorite was that my workplace planned a "Congrats Packers!!" party for Monday (they planned this 5 days in advance) for their assured Super Bowl berth after Sunday night's game. People were signed up to bring stuff - it was a done deal. People were saying things like "I'm not worried", "The game is as good as won" and "There's no way they can lose". There was non-stop chatter about how this is Brett Favre's 3rd Super Bowl! 10 years after his last Super Bowl, how perfect. Needless to say, it was a quiet day at the office. And the Packers Party was cancelled for obvious reasons.

It was hard watching playoff games especially with Packer fans because many of them were SO MEAN!! I heard a lot of "Shut up, Vikings fan! You have to wait another 8 months to see your team play!" even if I didn't say anything. No one dare insult their team, which they refer to as "us" or "we" most of the time. And they re-wrote the Lord's prayer specifically for Brett Favre.

It's not obvious that i'm not a Packer fan, is it?

"Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I guess I should appologize right off the top to Favre and Packer fans. I am soooo sick of Favre and all the ESPN tribute crap that I could throw up. This guy first of all should have been in Green Bay the day he announced his retirement and had the press conference then. Instead he puts it off a day or two and milks it for all it's worth. I'm sorry, am I the only one who thinks it's 50-50 that he will be back again next fall. Yeah I know he was good QB but I personally think there were many who were better. I'll give him all the cred for durability I am just sick of the Vicodin man.

Comment

Favre was good and all...but...the guy only won 1 Super Bowl in 17 seasons. I don't know if he'd be in my top 10 QB's of all time.
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                    Favre was good and all...but...the guy only won 1 Super Bowl in 17 seasons. I don't know if he'd be in my top 10 QB's of all time.

If you go by Super Bowls, where do you put Dan Marino? Out of the top ten?
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                      If you go by Super Bowls, where do you put Dan Marino? Out of the top ten?
                      I guess both Favre and Marino would probably be between 6-10 on my list. At the end of the day, especially in pro sports, isn't it championships that matter? Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman, Starr, Brady....hmmm, neither of them are in my top 5.
                      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I could see the argument for keeping Marino and Farve out of your top 5, but top 10 is difficult.
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                          Check out Sal Palantonio (sp) at ESPN to see his take on Favre. As Artie Johnson would say,"very interesting". You probably need to be over 45 to know who Artie is.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                            I remember the first time I attended Church in Milwaukee. It was the opening day of the NFL season and the church was packed. Everybody, excluding myself, was wearing there Green Bay clothing. Then at the end of the church service the Priest stood up and said "Now everybody bow your heads and say a prayer for the Green Bay Packers." Right then I knew how much the state of Wisconsin loved their Packers.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              I remember the first time I attended Church in Milwaukee. It was the opening day of the NFL season and the church was packed. Everybody, excluding myself, was wearing there Green Bay clothing. Then at the end of the church service the Priest stood up and said "Now everybody bow your heads and say a prayer for the Green Bay Packers." Right then I knew how much the state of Wisconsin loved their Packers.
                              There is really no way to explain it. You have to live here to fully get it. The Packers routinely pull in huge ratings in the state. Last year the state wide ratings showed that something like 85% of all televisions that were turned on during the time of a Packers' games were showing the game. If a television set was turned on, there was a 85% likelihood that it was showing the game - statewide. It was even higher in Milwaukee. Next season will be interesting to see unfold.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                              X