National Record in Gymnastics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Record in Gymnastics

For those of you that may be in Brookings Friday, the Madison high school gymnastics team is competing in the State "A" Gymnastics Meet at the Swiftel Center.

The Bulldogs have won 13 STRAIGHT STATE TITLES, which ties them for the national record, set by Sehome High School in Bellingham, Washington from 1973-1985. With a title tomorrow, the girls will set a NEW NATIONAL RECORD for consecutive state titles. And by looking at how they did last week at regions, it's not inconcieveable to see it happen.

So good luck to Madison's Gymnasts on breaking the mark! And good luck to all gymnasts participating tomorrow!
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: National Record in Gymnastics

ya over the last few years the battle for second place is what teams have realistically shot for.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsurulz08 View Post
      ya over the last few years the battle for second place is what teams have realistically shot for.

Is there just 1 class in gymnastics in SD?? Please tell me yes or I may have to rant.

Go Jacks!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

There is 2 classes AA and A

Comment

13 schools in AA, and 14 in A. Those are the smallest number of teams taking part in a SDHSAA activity. Tennis has one class, and 22 teams.

It would be tough to have Rapid City compete against Wall.

Otherwise, rant away propar!

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
            There is 2 classes AA and A

I'm going to guess Madison is in Class A?? If so, how many teams are in Class A gymnastics?

I'm really going to try hard not to take anything away from this group of girls, so not to offend anyone on this board that may have ties. Believe me...I've tested the "sensitivity level" of this board more than I would've liked.

But I have really gotten tired of the SDHSAA continually watering down the High School competition in these non-revenue generating sports, just so everyone..."gets a chance to go to a state tournament".

For example...a South Dakota high school golf championship means absolutely nothing to a college coach when being recruited. Reasoning...three classes of golf in SD. Dumb...Dumb..Dumb. There shouldn't even be two IMO.

You might ask why I care so much about this issue...because having watered down competition in SD doesn't bode well for SDSU getting solid D-1 athletes from SD in these sports for the future.

Go Jacks!!
            Last edited by propar80; 02-15-2008, 02:11 PM.
            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
              I'm going to guess Madison is in Class A?? If so, how many teams are in Class A gymnastics?

I'm really going to try hard not to take anything away from this group of girls, so not to offend anyone on this board that may have ties. Believe me...I've tested the "sensitivity level" of this board more than I would've liked.

But I have really gotten tired of the SDHSAA continually watering down the High School competition in these non-revenue generating sports, just so everyone..."gets a chance to go to a state tournament".

For example...a South Dakota high school golf championship means absolutely nothing to a college coach when being recruited. Reasoning...three classes of golf in SD. Dumb...Dumb..Dumb. There shouldn't even be two IMO.

You might ask why I care so much about this issue...because having watered down competition in SD doesn't bode well for SDSU getting solid D-1 athletes from SD in these sports for the future.

Go Jacks!!
              Logic like this makes way too much sense. I happen to agree holeheartedly with you. Seems like having a good experience (i.e. a trip to state) have taken over true competition where the best schools win and the others don't.

No matter how many schools they are competing against, kudos to the Madison team though if they win #14. That in itself is quite an accomplishment. Shows that the girls there have really bought in to the gymnastics program.
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I'm going to have to agree with ProPar and CatchEmAll here as well even though we are thread drifting. ProPar brings up the state HS golf tournaments. To expand on that point further, in class AA golf every team gets to go to the state tournament. There isn't any sort of qualification process (districts and/or regionals) that teams must make it though in order to advance to the state tournament. If there isn't something wrong with that then please tell me why not. Going to a state tournament should be privilege and an honor, not a given. Don't you think kids in HS would work harder if they had to earn their way to a state tournament?

Comment

And Madison Wins It Again This Year.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                    I'm going to have to agree with ProPar and CatchEmAll here as well even though we are thread drifting. ProPar brings up the state HS golf tournaments. To expand on that point further, in class AA golf every team gets to go to the state tournament. There isn't any sort of qualification process (districts and/or regionals) that teams must make it though in order to advance to the state tournament. If there isn't something wrong with that then please tell me why not. Going to a state tournament should be privilege and an honor, not a given. Don't you think kids in HS would work harder if they had to earn their way to a state tournament?
                    In AA football every team makes the state playoffs also. Maybe the football is just as watered down as the golf. I wonder if Sturgis just once during their losing streak, wished they would not have had to play an extra playoff game to end their season.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                      In AA football every team makes the state playoffs also. Maybe the football is just as watered down as the golf. I wonder if Sturgis just once during their losing streak, wished they would not have had to play an extra playoff game to end their season.
                      I feel we have too many classes in all sports. States with a lot more schools than us have less classes. I know the theory is to have as many students participate as is possible, but it certainly waters down the tournament. I feel less classes and more of an honor to make a state tournament is in order. I agree, football is even too watered down.

Comment

I also agree that football is too watered down with so many classes. The comment about all AA football teams making the state playoffs is a valid one. But only 2 teams make it to the dome. Where in AA golf every team goes from the regular season straight to the state tournament, nothing in between.

Comment

Getting back on track...

It's tough enough to win 1 state title, never mind 14 in a row...

Funny thing, I was talking with Jim Hockett, who has covered gymnastics for many years in South Dakota and New Mexico. He didn't think Madison would have a problem moving up to "AA". Mainly, because "AA" tends to skew higher, score-wise. Kind of like going from a level 4 to a level 5... the compeition is higher but so is the scoring.

There actually was some talk of consolidating gymnastics when Sioux Falls was considering dropping the sport. But since Sioux Falls' programs are staying put, there will still be 2 classes.

But as costs for insurance and the like keep increasing, don't be surprised if more programs fall by the wayside and we see just one class in the future.
                          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Congradulations to Madison and wining 14 in a row in gymnastics. Its hard to deny the accompolishment. Some coach has worked very hard in building this program.

There was a time when Madison was in the ESD and were the doormat in nearly every sport because they had the smallest enrollment. Spliting Class A which was the 32 largest schools in SD into Class AA and A helped a number of schools compete against their own peers. Madison, or even Brookings for that matter, found it very difficult to compete against Sioux Falls Washington in boys basketball which at one time had nearly 4000 students, prior to Lincoln and Roosvelt and the new OGorman. In the early 1950's the rest of the ESD coaches asked Bob Burns then the coach of Washington Football to leave the league since they could not compete. Washington did play an indepenant football schedule until, Lincoln came into being. Can you imagine what Madison faced with less than 400 enrolled students? It was tough to compete. I am talking 1960's now and a long time ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X