Track and Field recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track and Field recruits

Looks like the Jacks are "hot on the trail" of putting together some great freshman class recruits. Here's a link to the latest new men's cross country signees:

http://www.yankton.net/stories/02090...45271213.shtml

Haven't seen much in this regards. If any of you T&F fans know of other stories or links, would like to hear about them.

Re: Track and Field recruits

I don't have an article to back it up, but I think Greg Beesley of Brandon signed with SDSU on Friday.
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
      I don't have an article to back it up, but I think Greg Beesley of Brandon signed with SDSU on Friday.
      Anderson joins two more of the top boys' runners in the state in SDSU's recruiting class, Brandon Valley's Greg Beesley and Rapid City Central's Mike Krsnak.
      That's what the article linked above from Yankton says as well.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

There is some interesting chatter over on the "Talk South Dakota Sports!" board about Jared Vlastuin:

http://sdsportstalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4698

Obviously, I do not vouch for that board's content.
        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
          There is some interesting chatter over on the "Talk South Dakota Sports!" board about Jared Vlastuin:

http://sdsportstalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4698

Obviously, I do not vouch for that board's content.
          Interesting chatter as you stated. Certainly plausible with the coaching change at Drake and Jared's previous interest in SDSU. I've spoken to several Lennox people and they all seemed to think Jared would be most comfortable in Brookings. Time will certainly clarify things.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Hes going there (SDSU), will participate in Track and Field this year and wait on basketball. Though probably will not play it at SDSU. He asked Nagy if he could play basketball and Nagy said no, I'm not sure if that is just for this year or if that is for good. I could understand Nagy saying no this year because you don't want to redshirt a guy if he is going to be gone participating in another sport a lot of the time.

Its all over the Drake board that he was released from his scholarship, and I've talked to a few people from Lennox and they said what I said above....

Comment

There has been no contact between Vlastuin and Nagy. He would not be able to play this coming year for basketball anyway(unless they use a scholarship on him - which I doubt will happen), but he has decided to do track at SDSU rather than basketball at Drake.

Let me put it this way - if Nagy declined Jared's offer to walk-on to play basketball at SDSU, I would have to rethink my position on the SDSU men's basketball program. Again, I'm saying if, because there has been no contact between the two.

Even if he were to just do track at SDSU, I think this is a big recruit for them. He has lots of potential in the jumping events.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
                There has been no contact between Vlastuin and Nagy. He would not be able to play this coming year for basketball anyway(unless they use a scholarship on him - which I doubt will happen), but he has decided to do track at SDSU rather than basketball at Drake.

Let me put it this way - if Nagy declined Jared's offer to walk-on to play basketball at SDSU, I would have to rethink my position on the SDSU men's basketball program. Again, I'm saying if, because there has been no contact between the two.

Even if he were to just do track at SDSU, I think this is a big recruit for them. He has lots of potential in the jumping events.
                I, for one, welcome him with open arms. That would be the case regardless of his athletic aspirations. He seems like a great kid and a great addition to the campus in Brookings.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post

I think either you or I am looking at this wrong. I thought that if he was on scholarship and playing both sports, he'd HAVE to be on a basketball scholarship. He can't be on a track scholarship and play basketball. That way he wouldn't "walk-on". I can't see him giving up a track scholarship to walk-on both teams. Are you just talking about the 1st year? Walk-on for just practice.
                  The 1st year he'll be on a track scholarship and then Nagy will have one to give him. I think he'll be good in both sports. Who's the last player to be on a basketball scholarship and play another sport at SDSU? I don't know if Nagy thinks the other sport will take time away from playing ball.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                    I think either you or I am looking at this wrong. I thought that if he was on scholarship and playing both sports, he'd HAVE to be on a basketball scholarship. He can't be on a track scholarship and play basketball. That way he wouldn't "walk-on". I can't see him giving up a track scholarship to walk-on both teams.
                    I think I heard that you have to be on either a football or basketball scholarship if you play several sports in college.
                    I'm not entirely clear on the issue but I do know this. You can't use a track scholarship to pay for school and then "walk-on" to the basketball team. The scholarship you received for track will count against the basketball (or football) scholarship totals for the university. I'm not sure if that is true for less major sports like baseball, swimming, etc...

Comment

Good points. I had the rule mixed up and was thinking he would be able to be a walk on next year for the basketball team, if he wanted.

Well, again, whatever happens, we got a great recruit in one sport.

Comment

I was told that he asked Nagy if he could play, Nagy said not this year.... Because it would count against a scholarship and he would have to redshirt and Nagy said if you are going to redshirt you are not going to play 2 sports..... The way I understood it as it will be re-evaluated next year. Which is the way I think it should be....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          I was told that he asked Nagy if he could play, Nagy said not this year.... Because it would count against a scholarship and he would have to redshirt and Nagy said if you are going to redshirt you are not going to play 2 sports..... The way I understood it as it will be re-evaluated next year. Which is the way I think it should be....
                          As usual, you were told wrong. If he wants to play basketball he has to be a walk-on for both sports. As it has been stated previously, if he's on a track scholarship and plays basketball, the scholarship would count against the basketball program as well.

Comment

Could he have a track scholarship and practice with the basketball team? If he doesn't suit up or sit on the bench, he's not really on basketball team. It'd be the same as the guys that practice with the women's basketball team.
                            The 2nd year Nagy would have to decide weather to use a scholarship on him or not. The practice would let them feel each other out. He would learn the offense and keep playing basketball and coach would see how he matches up against the other players.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                              As usual, you were told wrong. If he wants to play basketball he has to be a walk-on for both sports. As it has been stated previously, if he's on a track scholarship and plays basketball, the scholarship would count against the basketball program as well.
                              Can you read my post then? I said that, I said the reason Nagy is hesitent to recruit Vlastuin is because it would count against a scholarship...... What part of the whole situation where it would count against a basketball schoarship don't you get..... I got this from a member of the track team who told me the whole situation..... He talked to the SDSU track coaches at the STate track meet, he said he will go there, the track coaches have been keeping this on the DL because they don't want him to play basketball. However the players on the team have been talking to Jared about going out.... Apparently Jared is still undesided or atleast hasn't contacted the coaching staff about playing basketball, but supposedly Nagy said that he will not lock up a scholarship with a player who has to redshirt and play 2 sports.... Its just what I have heard..... I was told that Jared will not be playing basketball this year, the following year is when we will find out the facts.

Comment

Working...
                              X