Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun's May Be Allowed on Campus

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...802080315/1001

I completely disagree with this. Maybe if they keep them in gun safes, but I still think some drunken night in the dorms something bad will happen.

Also, I really don't see why they are going to allow handguns (if I'm reading this correctly). Why can't they make it just shotguns with a valid hunting license? As a student, and an avid hunter at that, I wouldn't trust some of the kids in the dorms with guns in their rooms.

Re: Gun's May Be Allowed on Campus

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
    http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...802080315/1001

I completely disagree with this. Maybe if they keep them in gun safes, but I still think some drunken night in the dorms something bad will happen.

Also, I really don't see why they are going to allow handguns (if I'm reading this correctly). Why can't they make it just shotguns with a valid hunting license? As a student, and an avid hunter at that, I wouldn't trust some of the kids in the dorms with guns in their rooms.
    This bill got filed in response to the the board of regents bill HB1086 that was intended to ban firearms from all campuses and make it a class 1 misdemeanor. That was really a foolish mistake since they already had campus policies in place which said you cant have guns on campus. By trying to make it a crime, they brought attention to it and raised the ire of alot of people. Thats when this bill got filed. There are alot of kids who are away from home and want to hunt on weekends in this state. The board should have never tried to mess with this.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
      Shooting on a campus in Louisiana today. Two young women killed.

I'm guessing the BofR offered the bill because of something they might know that we don't: Perhaps the policies aren't working.
      A policy isn't going to stop a crazy man/woman from shooting someone at a school or in a mall or across from 8 mile road in Detroit.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
        A policy isn't going to stop a crazy man/woman from shooting someone at a school or in a mall or across from 8 mile road in Detroit.
        Neither is a class 1 misdemeanor.

Comment

However policies, and their subsequent enforcement, do come into play when determining if reasonable precautions had been taken.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
            However policies, and their subsequent enforcement, do come into play when determining if reasonable precautions had been taken.
            Agreed, and they should have left it at that. Now they are going to have a law run them over like a freight train(it passed the House 63-1) nullifying their policy.

Comment

I just don't see how putting shotguns in the dorms are going to help. Like I said up above, I wouldn't trust kids in there with guns. Especially those that have been arguing or something.

Comment

And drinking

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
                  Agreed, and they should have left it at that. Now they are going to have a law run them over like a freight train(it passed the House 63-1) nullifying their policy.
                  Unless your current policy is not considered reasonable.

EDIT: BTW, getting the legislature to mandate a position, either way, may have been the goal from the outset.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

There is IMHO fairly strong counterargument to be made that a contributing factor to the extent of the Virginia Tech massacre was the existence of a gun ban on campus.

I do not think it's quite the black-and-white issue that it appears at first glance--heck, my first response is "well yeah, don't allow them on campus." But that kind of thinking results in situations where a bad guy with a gun can attack with impunity a disarmed community, until law enforcement figures out that there's a problem and dispatches their resources to respond. Lots of people can get hurt in the interim.

There is probably a middle ground between "ban all guns" and "let 'em all in" that is the optimal policy--having gun owners demonstrate responsibility via attendance in safety courses, etc, etc. Unfortunately, the positions on the extremes are the ones that are easily taken, and reluctantly abandoned.

I personally think that an armed and educated populace is a prerequisite for a free, liberal society. The hard part is defining "some level."
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

This is one area where not posting is the best advice...BUT...two things:

1) I agree with the comment about the Regents should have just stayed out of the way and let the "policy" stand. I would like to know why this was suddenly so important to try and impose? Obviously the BOR didn't have a very successful campaign to get the bill passed.

2) So they just graduated from high school and now they are so much more mature? Well, no, but up until we dropped 3.2 beer they could suddenly drink beer legally, and they can go and fight wars for our country. Or they can go stay in off-campus housing, and if one of them wants to kill somebody on campus, I hardly think a law against guns on the campus will have any effect (misdemeanor or felony!) Or you can party at off-campus housing, get drunk and shoot somebody easier than you can on campus...a scenario that is highly unlikely on campus.

Comment

Just deleted my prior posts. No point in us arguing about this one.

I'd rather talk about Jackrabbit athletics.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Probably needs to be talked about. Not sure this is really the right forum.

What say the members? Lock this thread for the sake of comity on the board?
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            Probably needs to be talked about. Not sure this is really the right forum.

What say the members? Lock this thread for the sake of comity on the board?
                            You've got my vote to lock it up. I will add just this little tidbit. The admissions office on campus was already receiving phone calls yesterday about the gun policy. They had people telling them that if guns are allowed on campus, pull their child's application because they aren't going to school there.

Comment

I don't think we need to lock the thread, the subject deals with SDSU. I feel confident that the vast, vast majority of posters can discuss this topic without getting violent. Check this video out about getting violent with computers, http://www.glumbert.com/media/baddayoffice

As for why this came up now, if I remember correctly after the Virginia Tech report came out I believe several laws/regulations regarding campus safety were revised. I don't recall the specifics, and don't think it is worth the time to look up, but we had to then provide revised emergency plans, lock down systems, to the SD Dept of Ed in response to feds. I think I will give the BOR the same benefit of the doubt that I give the Athl Dep't, since I don't know exactly why they are doing this and are good people, I think they probably had a good reason to submit the original bill.

Comment

Working...
                              X