Summit League basketball attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit League basketball attendance

I decided to play a bit with Summit League basketball attendance numbers.

First, the men, average home attendance per game:
    3,474 ORU
    3,038 NDSU
    2,464 SUU
    2,027 SDSU
    1,786 IPFW
    1,650 UMKC
    904 IUPUI
    792 Centenary
    610 WIU
    Average home attendance for the entire league is 1,936.

For giggles, I did total home attendance divided by total wins for each team (a measure of fan loyalty, perhaps?)
    4,435 SUU
    3,474 ORU
    2,895 SDSU
    2,485 NDSU
    2,475 UMKC
    2,183 IPFW
    892 Centenary
    665 WIU
    638 IUPUI
    (Sing along with me . . . "three of these schools are not like the others . . ." )
    Average home attendance per total win is 2,239.

Now, the women's average home attendance per game:
    1,733 SDSU
    1,582 NDSU
    828 ORU
    734 IPFW
    707 SUU
    667 OU
    457 WIU
    436 IUPUI
    322 UMKC
    242 CC
    Average home attendance for women's basketball in the Summit League: 739.

Now, home attendance divided by total wins:
    1,772 UMKC
    1,414 SUU
    1,266 NDSU
    1,104 ORU
    1,040 SDSU
    978 IPFW
    805 CC
    667 OU
    457 WIU
    396 IUPUI
    Average for the Summit League: 892.

I think you have to give Southern Utah the trophy so far this year for most diehard fans in the Summit League.

I admit to being a bit surprised at the middle-of-the-pack status of SDSU in the women's basketball attendance-per-win statistic. Obviously we all need to get more friends into Frost Arena to watch the women play!
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Summit League basketball attendance

not much else to do at SUU.

Comment

Not much else to do in Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Now, home attendance divided by total wins:
        1,772 UMKC
        1,414 SUU
        1,266 NDSU
        1,104 ORU
        1,040 SDSU
        978 IPFW
        805 CC
        667 OU
        457 WIU
        396 IUPUI
        Average for the Summit League: 892.

I think you have to give Southern Utah the trophy so far this year for most diehard fans in the Summit League.

I admit to being a bit surprised at the middle-of-the-pack status of SDSU in the women's basketball attendance-per-win statistic. Obviously we all need to get more friends into Frost Arena to watch the women play!
        Not trying to pick on you filbert but what relevance does the attendance-per-win statistic have on anything? Not sure where you are going with that? My thinking would be since we are winning the most our attendance is the highest which it is. The only things that could change the attendance-per-win stat is for the Jacks to lose a few at home.

I'm just sayin. You ok filbert?

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Who really knows what attendance-per-win means? I assert without justification that it can be used to determine the depth of support of a team. A team that draws well even though it doesn't win has deeper support than a team that wins a lot but doesn't draw well.

I'm playing with the numbers . . . that's all.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Who really knows what attendance-per-win means? I assert without justification that it can be used to determine the depth of support of a team. A team that draws well even though it doesn't win has deeper support than a team that wins a lot but doesn't draw well.

I've got to side with Superbunny on this one...although I can agree with your last sentence...playing with the numbers IS all you are doing. Statistically, as I recall from a drudgery class at SDSU some 54 years ago, the season attendance divided by wins means only one thing...if you don't win a game at home and have 10 games and 200 people at each game, you will average 2000 people in attendance...which means you can prove anything (and nothing) through numbers!

The only way you could measure "depth of fan support" (maybe more appropriately percentage of die-hards as compared to fair weather fans) would be to compare a number of years when teams have both losses and wins at home. And let's face it, since the Jackrabbit women have one of the longest home winning streaks in the nation, those stats would be hard to come by in this particular era...and that's a great thing!! GO JACKS!!

Comment

95% of Statistics are False!!!!!!
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                The only way you could measure "depth of fan support" (maybe more appropriately percentage of die-hards as compared to fair weather fans) would be to compare a number of years when teams have both losses and wins at home. And let's face it, since the Jackrabbit women have one of the longest home winning streaks in the nation, those stats would be hard to come by in this particular era...and that's a great thing!! GO JACKS!!
                Might have to factor in sub-zero weather on Saturday against W Illinois. Sounds like it is going to be cold!!! Wife told me she wasn't going so got a friend (USD alum) to go along. Looks like a little Cubby time on Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                X