NDSU/SDSU Recruiting Battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU/SDSU Recruiting Battle

I got this thread off of bisonville.... let's see what jack fans think....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by watertownbison
    Looking at it NDSU should probably win any recruiting battle that takes place with a prospect unless they conect on a personal level better with the SDSU coaches. With signing day coming up this week who is going to have the better signing class and what players decided between these two schools? Obviously we won't know until 5 years for now who really had the better class but we can talk the talk right now...

Battle of the class of 2008....

QUARTERBACKS

NDSU = Jose Mohler - San Diego, CA
    SDSU = Thomas O'Brien - Winona, MN

Advantage = SDSU. Agian this is only from watching their highlights on the internet, pictures, news paper articles, hieght weight etc. Obviously all of us bison fans have been searching high and low for Jose Mohler film and I found this on the SDSU board... It's O'Brien JUNIOR highlight film.
    http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/921/453680.wmv
    O'Brien committed early to SDSU over "heavy" interest from the Bison. Can't imagine what his senior film looks like if this is only his junior film. I've heard he chose SDSU because of the relationship he has with the coaches and the depth chart/playing time. Wish we could've got his as well but I think Mohler will bring something special to Fargo.

LINEBACKERS
    NDSU = Preston Evans - Souix Falls, SD & Greg Reid - Milwaukee, WI
    SDSU = Josiah Fitssimons - Ames, IA

Advantage = NDSU. Looks like NDSU completely DOMINATES this category. I really think we are bringing in 2 studs with Evans and Reid. Unless you are an BCS school you can't complain with these 2 pickups. Can't wait to watch them in the ol' FargoDome.

RUNNING BACK

NDSU = Josh Horner - Hometown kid - Fargo South
    SDSU = Tyrel Kool - Yankton, SD

Advantage = SDSU. Most people around here are saying that Kool is the best player in SD. Of course, they may be bitter since Evans chose us!

WIDE RECEIVERS

NDSU = Hakeem Bourne-McFarlane - Bloomington Kennedy (MN)
    SDSU = Aaron Rolin - Lee's Summit, MO

Advantage = NDSU. Heard SDSU made a push for McFarlane but it didn't work out to well for them. I have heard some great things about Rolin from Lee's Summit but McFarlane is going to be a primetime player no doubt.

Please feel free to add on and finish out the positions....

Re: NDSU/SDSU Recruiting Battle

For starters, Watertownbison is in some kind of historic dreamland with his opening premise. Any recruiting advantages NDSU had in the past are disappearing. NDSU no longer has an advantage in raw scholarship numbers. Its facilities advantage will disappear with the construction of the Dykhouse Center. Fargo is not exactly ocean-side property in coolness rankings, and it's further removed from prime recruiting turf than Brookings. SDSU probably already has an advantage in coaching appeal. Comparisons of individual recruits are interesting but probably meaningless unless factored in with entire rosters. I suspect SDSU's overall recruiting class will stand up very favorably to NDSU's this year and in years to come.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by b-town2r-city View Post
      I got this thread off of bisonville.... let's see what jack fans think....

Quote:
      Originally Posted by watertownbison
      Looking at it NDSU should probably win any recruiting battle that takes place with a prospect unless they conect on a personal level better with the SDSU coaches. With signing day coming up this week who is going to have the better signing class and what players decided between these two schools? Obviously we won't know until 5 years for now who really had the better class but we can talk the talk right now...

Battle of the class of 2008....

QUARTERBACKS

NDSU = Jose Mohler - San Diego, CA
      SDSU = Thomas O'Brien - Winona, MN

Advantage = SDSU. Agian this is only from watching their highlights on the internet, pictures, news paper articles, hieght weight etc. Obviously all of us bison fans have been searching high and low for Jose Mohler film and I found this on the SDSU board... It's O'Brien JUNIOR highlight film.
      http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/921/453680.wmv
      O'Brien committed early to SDSU over "heavy" interest from the Bison. Can't imagine what his senior film looks like if this is only his junior film. I've heard he chose SDSU because of the relationship he has with the coaches and the depth chart/playing time. Wish we could've got his as well but I think Mohler will bring something special to Fargo.

LINEBACKERS
      NDSU = Preston Evans - Souix Falls, SD & Greg Reid - Milwaukee, WI
      SDSU = Josiah Fitssimons - Ames, IA

Advantage = NDSU. Looks like NDSU completely DOMINATES this category. I really think we are bringing in 2 studs with Evans and Reid. Unless you are an BCS school you can't complain with these 2 pickups. Can't wait to watch them in the ol' FargoDome.

RUNNING BACK

NDSU = Josh Horner - Hometown kid - Fargo South
      SDSU = Tyrel Kool - Yankton, SD

Advantage = SDSU. Most people around here are saying that Kool is the best player in SD. Of course, they may be bitter since Evans chose us!

WIDE RECEIVERS

NDSU = Hakeem Bourne-McFarlane - Bloomington Kennedy (MN)
      SDSU = Aaron Rolin - Lee's Summit, MO

Advantage = NDSU. Heard SDSU made a push for McFarlane but it didn't work out to well for them. I have heard some great things about Rolin from Lee's Summit but McFarlane is going to be a primetime player no doubt.

Please feel free to add on and finish out the positions....
      i disagree with this whole argument..... first of all other then QB its all about depth.... linebackers, we got the depth... Jake Steffen is better then Preston Evans and our depth at LB is pretty solid... WR same thing.... also does anybody know anything about Aaron Rolin? I'm sure he is good but its hard to grade a player that nobody has heard of.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
        For starters, Watertownbison is in some kind of historic dreamland with his opening premise. Any recruiting advantages NDSU had in the past are disappearing. NDSU no longer has an advantage in raw scholarship numbers. Its facilities advantage will disappear with the construction of the Dykhouse Center. Fargo is not exactly ocean-side property in coolness rankings, and it's further removed from prime recruiting turf than Brookings. SDSU probably already has an advantage in coaching appeal. Comparisons of individual recruits are interesting but probably meaningless unless factored in with entire rosters. I suspect SDSU's overall recruiting class will stand up very favorably to NDSU's this year and in years to come.
        You want to talk tradition, when SDSU football builds what NDSU has in that department then you can talk about recruiting advatages dissapearing. I could say things that go against your other points but in mind tradition is the trump card.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          NDSU still has Fargo (the 25,000+ college students in Fargo-Moorhead definitely puts it ahead in the 'coolness' factor). NDSU has better attendance. NDSU has tradition.

But I agree that every student-athlete's decision is more complicated than simply how many coats of paint are on the building. They're looking at academics. They're looking to find a place where they feel comfortable. It's a very personal decision and who knows why they make the choices that they do. The process is as individualized as it can be.

SDSU has a strong recruiting class (again) this year. We'll all see that on Wednesday.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Not much good or concessions will ever be had by arguing who's team is better, who has the better recruits, better school, etc. Just too much emotion involved. I bleed SDSU blue. Therefore I tend to think our recruits, coaches, shoestrings, grass, cheerleaders, band, alumni, hats, tires, blankets, roofs, etc. are all better than those found at NDSU. Logic and reasoning are words that will never come into play in any arguments to the contrary. I appreciate the fact that NDSU supporters feel the same way about their institution. It is that passion that makes our rivalry so special, yet so cordial. Both sides respect the others right to be fanatics about their teams/university. Good luck to NDSU in their upcoming signing day. I think both coaching staffs feel pretty good about who they have coming in. I can't wait for next season.

*I meant better than NDSU instead of SDSU.
            Last edited by MilwaukeeJacksAlum; 02-05-2008, 04:52 PM.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I completely agree with MJA on this. Something that I've noticed since becoming a rabid Jacks Fan just a few years ago when I moved back to SD, is that when you talk to someone that graduated from SDSU they tend to love their experience there and tend to bleed blue and yellow more that people that have gone to other schools in SD. Not saying ALL, but this has been my experience since moving back.

I have a quote from a USD grad and supporter/donor that I went to lunch with last week in a business setting. We got on the subject of SDSU and USD athletics and the move to D-1. His biggest worry is where the $$ is going to come from for USD's move.
              His quote..."I've noticed that when people leave SDSU they tend to bleed blue and gold, where as that isn't the case at USD." As far as athletics, there just isn't as much pride there."
              Then that night I was telling my wife that he had mentioned that and she...being a USD grad...without hesitation agreed.

I don't want to turn this thread into another SDSU/USD smack thread, but just point out that both NSDU and SDSU have alumni and supporters that tend to bleed their respective colors a lot more than the other schools in their respective states(I won't speak for UND, as I know nothing about that school other than they like their hockey).

This kind of support is what is needed when making this transition, especially in FB, considering it is so expensive, but what generates the most $$ for the other sports in the department.

Go Jacks!!
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                I completely agree with MJA on this. Something that I've noticed since becoming a rabid Jacks Fan just a few years ago when I moved back to SD, is that when you talk to someone that graduated from SDSU they tend to love their experience there and tend to bleed blue and yellow more that people that have gone to other schools in SD. Not saying ALL, but this has been my experience since moving back.

I have a quote from a USD grad and supporter/donor that I went to lunch with last week in a business setting. We got on the subject of SDSU and USD athletics and the move to D-1. His biggest worry is where the $$ is going to come from for USD's move.
                His quote..."I've noticed that when people leave SDSU they tend to bleed blue and gold, where as that isn't the case at USD." As far as athletics, there just isn't as much pride there."
                Then that night I was telling my wife that he had mentioned that and she...being a USD grad...without hesitation agreed.

I don't want to turn this thread into another SDSU/USD smack thread, but just point out that both NSDU and SDSU have alumni and supporters that tend to bleed their respective colors a lot more than the other schools in their respective states(I won't speak for UND, as I know nothing about that school other than they like their hockey).

This kind of support is what is needed when making this transition, especially in FB, considering it is so expensive, but what generates the most $$ for the other sports in the department.

Go Jacks!!
                When I was working at SDSU, and Bill Janklow was visiting the campus for Career Service Day or some such thing when he was still governor, he basically said exactly the same thing--he marveled at the devotion of the alumni and the entire SDSU community to our institution.

And Janklow was no friend of SDSU or of higher education in general, IMHO, so I took it as pretty high praise. No smack about it (for all I know, Janklow used the same line at all of the state's universities--he was after all a politician )
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Good old bison fans, they are such a joke...if you can't tell, they are still a little bitter about Nov. 17th 2007

The thing about it is that the majority of NDSU fans would have said the same thing about the past five years in terms of recruiting classes....the fact of the matter is, as good as the think their tradition is, facilities are, coaches are, fans are....they still left Brookings the last two times losers! They can talk about our facilites, coaches, players, recruiting, fans, etc. all they want. I totally respect NDSU for what they have done, but I respect their football team, not their arrogant fans! Just like they should have been in a bowl game because they were so good. We were 3-4 plays from only losing one game last year just like they were 3-4 plays from losing 4. They are a good program but nowhere near what 80% fans think they are.

Comment

Originally posted by GWFC Champs 2007 View Post
                    Good old bison fans, they are such a joke...if you can't tell, they are still a little bitter about Nov. 17th 2007

The thing about it is that the majority of NDSU fans would have said the same thing about the past five years in terms of recruiting classes....the fact of the matter is, as good as the think their tradition is, facilities are, coaches are, fans are....they still left Brookings the last two times losers! They can talk about our facilites, coaches, players, recruiting, fans, etc. all they want. I totally respect NDSU for what they have done, but I respect their football team, not their arrogant fans! Just like they should have been in a bowl game because they were so good. We were 3-4 plays from only losing one game last year just like they were 3-4 plays from losing 4. They are a good program but nowhere near what 80% fans think they are.
                    What you're criticizing is part of what makes them a good program...fans...which is short for fanatic.....If you've been to the dome it is always packed...and they televise their home games...NDSU sponsored...another revenue tool...While we have great fans.....We need to have more fans like they have....
                    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                    Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
                      What you're criticizing is part of what makes them a good program...fans...which is short for fanatic.....If you've been to the dome it is always packed...and they televise their home games...NDSU sponsored...another revenue tool...While we have great fans.....We need to have more fans like they have....
                      Thanks Rational! We probably will not see the effects of the recruiting class for a couple years so it is impossible to judge who as the better class. Does it seriously matter anyways? Both coaches are great at recruiting and are recruiting not THE best players but the best players for THEIR team. I would like to think that we aren't arrogant (yes some of us probably are) but devoted fans that bleed green and yellow just like some of you bleed your colors. It is the passion that makes this game great. Doesn't matter by how many points you win or lose a game because a win is a win and loss is a loss. Bison fans will always think their team is better just like how you Jack fans will think your team is better. No harm or foul in that because it would be sad not to think that way (unless you were a uxd fan). So stay classy "GWFC Champs."

Comment

Originally posted by NDSUstudent View Post
                        Thanks Rational! We probably will not see the effects of the recruiting class for a couple years so it is impossible to judge who as the better class. Does it seriously matter anyways? Both coaches are great at recruiting and are recruiting not THE best players but the best players for THEIR team. I would like to think that we aren't arrogant (yes some of us probably are) but devoted fans that bleed green and yellow just like some of you bleed your colors. It is the passion that makes this game great. Doesn't matter by how many points you win or lose a game because a win is a win and loss is a loss. Bison fans will always think their team is better just like how you Jack fans will think your team is better. No harm or foul in that because it would be sad not to think that way (unless you were a uxd fan). So stay classy "GWFC Champs."
                        Great post NDSU student. Guys like you are what make this rivalry so much better then with the UXD's. Good luck with your recruits Bison.

Comment

Working...
                        X