• Show
Clear All

• Panel endorses athletic complex at SDSU

Panel endorses athletic complex at SDSU
    By Terry Woster
    twoster@argusleader.com
    Comment Print Email PUBLISHED: January 25, 2008
    Advertisement

A $6 million student-athlete development center at South Dakota State University won a 9-0 vote this morning in the House Appropriations Committee.

The facility, described as a two- to three-story building to be placed on the east side of the existing football stadium, is being financed with a private donation, SDSU Vice President Mike Reger told the panel.

“It is designed solely to support athletics, and particularly the academic side of athletics,’’ Reger said.

He said the campus is continuing to seek private funding and might build an addition to the structure in the future.

The committee amended the bill to require that the school return to lawmakers for approval of additional spending.

“We are not trying to impede the process,’’ Republican Rep. Jim Putnam of Armour said. The change in the bill will assure that “the Board of Regents or anyone else that builds the building under our rules comes back and asks for additional dollars and, therefore, we are brought up to speed.’’

Reger said, “I think that’s entirely within your scope, and we will abide by that.’’
    The structure will include study space for athletes enrolled at the school, he said. It will also provide office space for coaching staff members, weight rooms, athletic rehabilitation facilities and lockers. Existing lockers at Coughlin Alumni Stadium are as old as the stadium, which was built in the 1950s, Reger said.

“I don’t even want to start thinking about replacing a stadium,’’ he said.

Re: Panel endorses athletic complex at SDSU

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
    Panel endorses athletic complex at SDSU
    By Terry Woster
    twoster@argusleader.com
    Comment Print Email PUBLISHED: January 25, 2008
    Advertisement

A $6 million student-athlete development center at South Dakota State University won a 9-0 vote this morning in the House Appropriations Committee.

The facility, described as a two- to three-story building to be placed on the east side of the existing football stadium, is being financed with a private donation, SDSU Vice President Mike Reger told the panel.

“It is designed solely to support athletics, and particularly the academic side of athletics,’’ Reger said.

He said the campus is continuing to seek private funding and might build an addition to the structure in the future.

The committee amended the bill to require that the school return to lawmakers for approval of additional spending.

“We are not trying to impede the process,’’ Republican Rep. Jim Putnam of Armour said. The change in the bill will assure that “the Board of Regents or anyone else that builds the building under our rules comes back and asks for additional dollars and, therefore, we are brought up to speed.’’

Reger said, “I think that’s entirely within your scope, and we will abide by that.’’
    The structure will include study space for athletes enrolled at the school, he said. It will also provide office space for coaching staff members, weight rooms, athletic rehabilitation facilities and lockers. Existing lockers at Coughlin Alumni Stadium are as old as the stadium, which was built in the 1950s, Reger said.

“I don’t even want to start thinking about replacing a stadium,’’ he said.
    I may be wrong, but didn't the state replace the lid on the dome.....
    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
    Muhammad Ali

Comment

Tobacco settlement money, I think, was used for the permanent roof.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
        I'm quite certain this facility is going to be located on the north side of the football stadium...replacing the pine trees.

Comment

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
          I may be wrong, but didn't the state replace the lid on the dome.....
          that was a more a strategy to save some money from all the electricity it was using just to keep it pressurized

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            I'm quite certain this facility is going to be located on the north side of the football stadium...replacing the pine trees.
            This bill is for the Dykhouse Student Athlete Center and is indeed going to replace the pine trees. Any leads on an additional $6 million to build the complete facility as it was envisioned in the master plan would be gratefully accepted by the department!!

Comment

What happened to the other large donations that were rumored to be on their way around the time the Dykhouse announcement was made? Word was that the NFL alums were putting something together. Just rumors, or just keeping it low key?
              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                What happened to the other large donations that were rumored to be on their way around the time the Dykhouse announcement was made? Word was that the NFL alums were putting something together. Just rumors, or just keeping it low key?
                All I had heard were rumors but from what I considered to be reliable sources for rumors (if that makes any sense). I'm thinking we'll hear something when the time comes for us to hear something.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  All I had heard were rumors but from what I considered to be reliable sources for rumors (if that makes any sense). I'm thinking we'll hear something when the time comes for us to hear something.
                  Me to.

Comment

My understanding was the large potential donors would be solicited first and then a campaign that would be targeted towards all former players will take place.

Comment

Working...
                    X