SDSU Meat Judging Wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU Meat Judging Wins

So I had to post this because I am so proud of my teammates and coaches, but as you all know SDSU is Agriculture. Well we (SDSU Meat Judging Team) went out to Denver for the National Western Stock Show Intercollegiate Meat Judging Contest and brought back 1st Place team honors, and I was also Total High Individual, over teams such as Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, UNL, Colorado State, Kansas State, NDSU, and the University of Wyoming. SDSU has now won Total High Individual 3 contests in a row, going back into last season. This was the first contest of 7 this season.

SDSU will be featured in the Wall Street Journal, papers around the region, and on a radio show called Loos Tales, which aires on over 100 radio stations across the country.

So as you can SDSU is rocking the judging circuit right now.

http://www.meatjudging.org/Contest%2...nalWestern.htm

Re: SDSU Meat Judging Wins

Congratulations!!!!!

I ams sure most of us do not have any idea about the time put into getting to this level of competency in these competitions. Excellent representation of SDSU.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

When the D-1 process started it was stated that a university is known by the company it keeps. It looks like SDSU is in pretty good company.

This is an excerpt from the link in the first post of this thread.

Top Teams

1. South Dakota State University, (4035)
      2. Colorado State University, (4014)
      3. Oklahoma State University, (3932)
      4. University of Wyoming, (3923)
      5. Texas A&M University, (3897)
      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Doesn't matter if it is athletic team GPA, meat judging, or you pick em...South Dakota's leading university leads the way nationally!!! Congratulations to the SDSU Meat Judging Team and to I Got A Fever!!!

Comment

I got a fever!!....and the only prescription is MEAT JUDGING!

Congrats!!
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Hey, i got a fever are Bruns and Wulff still coaching up there or did they move on?

Comment

Dr. Duane Wulf is still here, and is one of the best meat scientists in the country. He is our academic advisor/mentor. Between teaching and being head of the Meat Science Department, he is very busy. The Head Coach and Assistant Coach are usually grad students in the field of Meat Science.

Comment

Over the years I have often heard about the meat judging teams at SDSU. Can someone enlighten me to what they are judging and how they are scored.

By the way congrats to you and your team fever. Keep it rolling.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Here is a radio interview:

http://www.chewingthecud.org/radiosh...ioshowfile.mp3

Comment

Thanks, that was pretty interesting. Good luck on the rest of your season
                    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Just to let everyone know, we've been to two contests this spring, and won both of them. We just got back from Fort Worth, Texas from the Southwestern Stock Show and again brought back the team title. We beat Oklahoma State by 2 points.

Comment

I got a fever as well, and the only prescription is "MORE COWBELL". But since I can't ring it in Frost now, I'll just have to say the only prescription is: keep on racking 'em up IGAF and teammates. Job well done!!!!

Comment

Hey Fever congrats on the win, two contests and two first places I don't think an SDSU team has done that before. I was a member of the 89 team and assited Duane (Dr Wulf now) on the 90 team. I've got a ton of questions to ask you, can you post a link for the Southwestern results like you did for the Western. Where else are you going to this spring or is the junior season over. Back when I was on the team we had only two contests during the spring semester the Western and the GPI in Sioux Falls. Where do you work out these days, for us it was IBP in Luverne and John Morrels in SF. If there is a web page for your team on the Animal Science web site please post a link and keep us informed on how your team is doing, and good luck. BTW still using those blue pens for writing reasons.

Comment

Congrats! That's really something to be proud of.

Comment

Here is the link to the Southwestern Stock Show Results

http://www.meatjudging.org/Contest%2...ernResults.htm

90Jackrabbit we practice at a couple of places.

Iowa Lamb Corp, Hawarden, IA
                              Tyson, Dakota City, NE
                              Cargill, Schuyler, NE
                              and of course the Meat Lab here on Campus

We use black pens these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X