Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watertown's Boy's B-Ball Team Loses 5 Players

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=0,65583

The number one boys basketball team in South Dakota is short five players. Watertown High School suspended the players for the season after a weekend house party.

Watertown's Athletic Director says two players that have significant roles on the varsity boys basketball team won't play again this year; three junior varsity players who also play with the varsity, have also been suspended. He wouldn't release their names, but said all five broke training rules at a house party Friday night, so they won't be on the basketball court again this season. (read more)
    More from Stu on the Argus site:
    http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/80122048

FYI- WHS's coach is Brian Norberg, an alum of SDSU.

Re: Watertown's Boy's B-Ball Team Loses 5 Players

Sounds like a screwy deal.... If anybody in the Watertown area can say how the kids/parents are taking this..

If the coach kicked them off its one thing but if not you could argue
    1. unfair punishment
    2. a punishment that didn't fit the crime
    3. rehab would work better then this
    4. they are guilty but a year for this?

I have a feeling that the parents will have something to say, or there parents are really really strict and understanding......

Comment

Watertown has the strictest rule in the state and it applies to all activities. One offense during season and you're out for the remainder of the season.

I'm not a big fan of the rule but now is not the time for talking about modifying it.

Tough deal. We lost a starter. Watertown had great depth ... until Friday night. Still, we're not a bad ball club.

Since those who got the boot were all juveniles, let's keep names off the message board.

Comment

This has to have been the biggest challenging event of Mr. Norberg's coaching and teaching career, and maybe AD Schooley too, especially when the Arrows were on a roll in terms of wins and losses.

I dont have a problem with strict policies especially when students are advised in other forms than a student handbook. If the coach reminds them in practice and team meetings about this policy, there is no reason to make any exceptions in enforcement.

It would not surprise me to learn that Mr. Schooley's telephone has rang a great deal this week. Watertown IMO should be compliemented for taking a zero tolerence stand on alchohol and drugs. Through advertisement, alcohol has become socially acceptable, and why would these young kids who are now about to suffer the consequence think anything different.

The details of the incident are not clear and maybe they do not need to be, but it appears the guys were up to no good and were contrary to the policy. The school board needs to be behind Mr. Schooley 100 per cent. Jobs should not be on the line because they enforced the adopted policy. The parents who might argue for an exception are to be ignored.

Comment

Responsibility. They did the crime, most likely knowing the consequences if caught, yet they did it anyway. Now they have to live with those consequences. Lets all just be thankful they didn't do something even more stupid and get one of themselves or someone else killed.

I commend Norberg and the Watertown AD for standing up for the rules. And I agree with Nidaros, the parents who complain should be ignored.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

The parents are all supporting the rule and none complained. They're pretty upset with their kids.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              The parents are all supporting the rule and none complained. They're pretty upset with their kids.
              Thats good to hear.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

My opinion on Watertown's rule is that it is too harsh. Kicking a kid off for the remainder of a season for a first violation? I think we are the only school in the state...at least the only large school...that has such a policy. I have had that opinion since the rule was put in place.

Even though I think the rule is too harsh, now is not the time to change it. Since it was the rule in place, it has to be enforced and I think there is broad agreement on that point.

I hope that in about a year or two, we can have a discussion about modifying the rules. I think the rules should be consistent across the state, perhaps adopted by the High School Activities Association. To address the situation in which an activities participant transfers from one school to another to get around rules (many examples of that having happened over the past few years), new rules should provide that a rules violation will be treated the same at the transferee school just as though the transfer student violated the transferee school's rules.

Comment

My opinion on Watertown's rule is that it is too harsh. Kicking a kid off for the remainder of a season for a first violation? I think we are the only school in the state...at least the only large school...that has such a policy. I have had that opinion since the rule was put in place.

Even though I think the rule is too harsh, now is not the time to change it. Since it was the rule in place, it has to be enforced and I think there is broad agreement on that point.

I hope that in about a year or two, we can have a discussion about modifying the rules. I think the rules should be consistent across the state, perhaps adopted by the High School Activities Association. To address the situation in which an activities participant transfers from one school to another to get around rules (many examples of that having happened over the past few years), new rules should provide that a rules violation will be treated the same at the transferee school just as though the transfer student violated the transferee school's rules.
                  JD, when did Watertown adopt that rule? I know saw it enforced on an Arrow footbal player a couple of years ago. I guess I thought that maybe it was left over from years ago when that was pretty much the standard around the state. I do agree that perhaps the SDHSAA needs to lay down the law as far as the rules being equal in all districts.

Comment

The rules are the rules. Watertown's rules are very tough but every kid is made aware of the rules in orientation sessions for athletics. They knew they were in violation when they were doing it. Brookings had this rule many years ago and I made the same mistake. I had absolutely nobody to be mad at but myself. It taught me a valuable lesson that there are consequences that come with your actions.

Personally, I commend Watertown for their strict rules. It may put them at a disadvantage in a situation like this but athletics should take a backseat at a time like this. It just seems to me that most of the rules these days are a lot more lenient than they were even 10 years ago. There is a sense of entitlement with a lot of the youth today instead of getting where they want to go with hard work. Those that do know the value of hard work will really go far.

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

When I was in HS violation of our athletic "contract" resulted in a 2 week suspension for first offense and full season for second offense. I think that reset with each new sports season, which is kind of silly. We were to follow a curfew as well as several other rules as applied to alcohol and other drugs. The curfew wasn't strictly enforced.

I commend Watertown and its policy.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think all the schools should have the same rule..... When I was in high school (not that long ago) I was at a party and it got busted and kids from 3 different schools got in trouble.... School A first offense was nothing, my school it was 2 weeks and school 3 was 4 weeks..... I just really think evening it out would help a lot.....

I have to give a lot of respect to the parents for not throwing a hissy fit like I figured they would......

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                          JD, when did Watertown adopt that rule? I know saw it enforced on an Arrow footbal player a couple of years ago. I guess I thought that maybe it was left over from years ago when that was pretty much the standard around the state. I do agree that perhaps the SDHSAA needs to lay down the law as far as the rules being equal in all districts.
                          I'm not sure how long we've had the rule. I know it is more than 10 years old because my oldest son had to sign the contract. Good question...I'll ask around. Does anyone think Watertown's harsh rule means Watertown kids are following the rules better than kids in other towns? I don't think that's the case. I personally think we have great kids in Watertown but let's face it, they're much like the kids throughout South Dakota. No better, no worse. I think the rule needs to be revisited but it should probably be left alone until this year's junior class graduates.

Comment

I'm not sure how long we've had the rule. I know it is more than 10 years old because my oldest son had to sign the contract. Good question...I'll ask around. Does anyone think Watertown's harsh rule means Watertown kids are following the rules better than kids in other towns? I don't think that's the case. I personally think we have great kids in Watertown but let's face it, they're much like the kids throughout South Dakota. No better, no worse. I think the rule needs to be revisited but it should probably be left alone until this year's junior class graduates.
                            I think the kids are all the same.... I don't see parts of the state that are perfect or parts of the state that are really bad..... I think most student athletes drink (at least most of the ones I know did), some give it up during season most don't..... The part where I have a problem is when they get caught..... Its just unfair that some schools have stricter policies.... If it is a coach that has the policy its understandable, (my golf coach had policies that were stricter then the schools) but the school forces these things on students... I had a football coach that thought the students should get a say like an actual contract in which we got to bargen and negotiate certain parts of the contract.... personally I'm glad I'm not it that situation because I would of been screaming bloody murder.... I do have to give credit to the parents though for not throwing a fit even if most people would understand if they did.....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              I think the kids are all the same.... I don't see parts of the state that are perfect or parts of the state that are really bad..... I think most student athletes drink (at least most of the ones I know did), some give it up during season most don't..... The part where I have a problem is when they get caught..... Its just unfair that some schools have stricter policies.... If it is a coach that has the policy its understandable, (my golf coach had policies that were stricter then the schools) but the school forces these things on students... I had a football coach that thought the students should get a say like an actual contract in which we got to bargen and negotiate certain parts of the contract.... personally I'm glad I'm not it that situation because I would of been screaming bloody murder.... I do have to give credit to the parents though for not throwing a fit even if most people would understand if they did.....
                              Actually Joe, I would not understand if they had a fit about the punishment. As JD said, the rule has been in place for more than 10 years. I live in Yankton and even I know the one and done rule that Watertown has. Part of maturing is taking responsiblity for your actions. The parents and kids both knew what the rules were. If the parents are upset with anyone at this point, it better be their sons.

Comment

Working...
                              X