Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offensive assistant Daren Wilkinson leaving

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...26/1002/SPORTS
    Offensive assistant Daren Wilkinson will leave South Dakota State to become the quarterbacks coach at Colorado State.

"There's a lot of personal history with Colorado State, and it was a job that if I ever had an opportunity to get I wasn't going to turn it down," said Wilkinson, who was offered the job Thursday and is expected to begin Tuesday. "But there's a lot of great memories here at South Dakota State obviously capped by winning a conference championship."

The Jacks were 26-18 with Wilkinson - who most recently served as the co-offensive coordinator, quarterbacks and receivers coach and pro liaison- on staff during the Football Championship Subdivision reclassification process and won the Great West title this fall, the school's first conference crown since 1963.
    "I think the biggest thing is we talk all the time about pursuing your dream," Stiegelmeier said, "and for Darren to go back to where he went to coach, you have to five the guy."

Re: Offensive assistant Daren Wilkinson leaving

Losing Coach Wilkinson will be a tough blow for the team but I couldn't be happier for him. He is a very talented coach and quality guy. To get a great promotion and to return to your alma mater is a pretty special thing for a coach!

It is always good to see coaches moving up in the ranks from your school. That attracts a much better talent pool for the coach coming in to replace them. SDSU Football is defintely on the rise and Coach Wilkinson has had a big impact here!

Good luck Darren!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Good Luck to Daren at Colorado State, it is a great thing to go back to your home school and be a coach. A very good promotion. I think it shows that people are looking at us with the quality of our coaching staff. I think this will only bring better coaches to us in the future.

Go Jacks !!!!!!
      http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Best of luck to Daren and his family. It would be nice to see some of our assistants go places other than CSU. We need to have some contacts spread around the country.

Does anyone know if Karl Ballard stayed on staff also after the stepping down of Sonny Lubick?
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

eqguy........wow, remember the intensity that Karl had. He was quite a guy, really enjoyed him.

Go Jacks !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
            Best of luck to Daren and his family. It would be nice to see some of our assistants go places other than CSU. We need to have some contacts spread around the country.

Does anyone know if Karl Ballard stayed on staff also after the stepping down of Sonny Lubick?
            Karl was gone before Sonny. He was not on staff this past season. Not sure what he's doing, but he was out of football to my knowledge.
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
              Karl was gone before Sonny. He was not on staff this past season. Not sure what he's doing, but he was out of football to my knowledge.
              Just did a quick google and found that Karl left for a position in law enforcement or the military. I don't know if I'd want to be pulled over on the interstate by him. Intense hardly describes it, but he was easy to like.

Back to Wilkinson, I really hope the best for him. He is a good guy with a really nice family.

It is also nice that he didn't leave at the last minute so the department can do a good search for a replacement. If history continues to repeat itself, SDSU will get better from this.
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Steve Emming on the morning sports show had a audio statement from Coach Stig on losing Wilkenson. Coach Stig commented that he wanted to do a national search to find a replacement for Coach Wilkenson. With most of the recuiting completed, there seems time available for that and spring ball is maybe 3 months away. That suggests, that Wilkensen will not be easy to be replaced and we need to find the best out there.

I don't like losing good assistants, but sometimes I am amazed some stay as long as they do when you consider what they are paid. I expect we will find a very good replacement that brings something new to the program.

Comment

I've had a feeling this was coming as I believe Coach Wilkinson has made a major contribution to our offensive success. I trust Coach Stig will find an equally qualified replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                    Losing Coach Wilkinson will be a tough blow for the team but I couldn't be happier for him. He is a very talented coach and quality guy. To get a great promotion and to return to your alma mater is a pretty special thing for a coach!

It is always good to see coaches moving up in the ranks from your school. That attracts a much better talent pool for the coach coming in to replace them. SDSU Football is defintely on the rise and Coach Wilkinson has had a big impact here!

Good luck Darren!

SUPERBUNNY
                    Could not have said it better! I will miss Darren as much as a person as a very important part of our football coaching staff. He has been great for our program!!

Comment

Coach Wilkinson was a GREAT guy off of the field! He was definetly a "players" coach. As far as football knowledge, or play calling ability, I'm not so sure he took our program to the next level. I know he didn't have half the football knowledge, or demand from his players, as former play-caller Eric Eidsness did. I'm am not trying to downgrade anything Daren did at SDSU, but I think that he will be relatively easy to replace.

Coach Meadows, who was a co-play-caller last season, will be able to take over the reigns. If so, look for the Jacks to run the ball a little more next year, even without Koenig. Meadows' run-first mentality (O-Line Coach) will play a major roll in the offense unless a new Co-Offensive coordinator is highered to assist him.

Comment

Coach will be missed no doubt. But SDSU has alot to offer incoming coaches including the new Dykhouse Center. With last season's success we should be able to find a quality coach. As far as Ballard - I had heard the same thing as far as law enforcement. Seem to remember also that before he had left coaching his heart was giving him problems. Doctor said to get out of coaching before it killed him. He was about the most intense coach I have seen.

Comment

Any news on Wilkson's replacement. I noticed former Gopher offensive line coach Gordy Shaw is interviewing for offensive coordinator position at USD.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            Any news on Wilkson's replacement. I noticed former Gopher offensive line coach Gordy Shaw is interviewing for offensive coordinator position at USD.
                            At the Staters luncheon in Sioux Falls today, Coach Stig said they have received about 140 applications for the job opening and are working their way through them.

I think thats a great testament to where the program is heading when you have that kind of interest from people who want to join this coaching staff. Stig said to the effect that "We are working through them to find a new coach who will be even better than Coach Wilkenson." He also had some good things to say about Wilkenson and how he couldn't blame him for taking his dream job at his alma mater.

Comment

Any info about any coaches coming in for interviews for the OC job?

Go Jacks !!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X