Football equipment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football equipment question

Here's a dumb question but one that's been bugging me...
    Many football players, college (including several SDSU players) and pro, wear what appears to be a tight-fitting band on their arms, just above the elbow. What's the purpose of that band?

Re: Football equipment question

JOKE ALERT! Don't take personal!

To hide their needle sticks!

Comment

You have to love Google. This came up:

"Most all football players, tennis players etc; will wear tight bands around their elbows because the tendons of the elbow slowly and painfully begin to pull away from the bone of the elbow during stress. This is where the pain in your elbow originates. With continued repetitive use of the elbow, the tendon-bone connection continues to weaken and the pain in your elbow steadily increases. By placing continual pressure on the tendons connecting the Flexor and the Extensor muscles to the Medial and Lateral Epicondyles, thus significantly reducing the tension at the point of connection to the bone."

Sounds plausible... JackMD?
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I'm going to side on the "fashion statement" explanation. The tendon thing is legit, but there can't be that many athletes with tendon issues. If you look closely at the bands they all seem to have a logo on them. So either Nike has a big stake in tendonitis research, or athletes are just wearing one more thing to help them look good on the field.

I miss the good old days where some white athletic tape around the wrists was the extent of additional adornment on the football field.

Oh, great question by the way. Came up watching Thankgiving Day football with my family too.
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I'll add one more reason to file under fashion(or vanity). Notice that the bands are right near the bicep. Wrap something tight near your bicep and it bulges, thus arms look bigger.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
            I'll add one more reason to file under fashion(or vanity). Notice that the bands are right near the bicep. Wrap something tight near your bicep and it bulges, thus arms look bigger.
            I thought about the tendon problem pointed out by JJ...makes some sense; but, as pointed out by CatchEmAll: can that many guys be having the problem? I also thought about eqguy's comment and no doubt in my mind some guy may be doing it for that reason (geez, I'd be worried about blood circulation after a while but then, I was a scrawny runner so what do I know about biceps?).

I seem to have noticed more arms bands this season than ever before. Thanks for the input...maybe the answer is: ask the individual athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              You have to love Google. This came up:

"Most all football players, tennis players etc; will wear tight bands around their elbows because the tendons of the elbow slowly and painfully begin to pull away from the bone of the elbow during stress. This is where the pain in your elbow originates. With continued repetitive use of the elbow, the tendon-bone connection continues to weaken and the pain in your elbow steadily increases. By placing continual pressure on the tendons connecting the Flexor and the Extensor muscles to the Medial and Lateral Epicondyles, thus significantly reducing the tension at the point of connection to the bone."

Sounds plausible... JackMD?
              Plausible, okay, but scientifically supported, probably not. Most everyone has heard of "tennis elbow". Repetitive movements can lead to irritation, inflammation and pain in tendons anywhere on the body. These players are trying to prevent the irritation that leads to the inflammation that leads to the pain. Do they wear them when they are working out or at practice? I think its mostly cosmetic.
              Last edited by jackmd; 12-31-2007, 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Good question, JD. I have wondered the same, especially this year as I have seen more of them used. As far as an answer, medically, it is still up in the air but the main reason is that it probably looks cool. Might go get me a pair and wear them playing cards and drinking beer tonight with friends. Man, will I look cool...

Comment

This might be way off base and some of them seem to small to do any good, but I always thought the skilled guys wore them to keep the sweat from running down to their hands, therefore helping to keep the hands drier.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                    This might be way off base and some of them seem to small to do any good, but I always thought the skilled guys wore them to keep the sweat from running down to their hands, therefore helping to keep the hands drier.
                    you mean there gloves dry...
                    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                    Muhammad Ali

Comment

Gloves or hands whatever they choose.

When you get down to the nitty gritty I think it is to look good.

Remember look good, feel good, play good.

I had a certain way of getting dressed for games and if one thing was off I was off. The wrist tape had to be right or I would do it until it was done.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                        I had a certain way of getting dressed for games and if one thing was off I was off. The wrist tape had to be right or I would do it until it was done.
                        Some of these responses are great! BitsTD: maybe a little obsessive/compulsive? (Actually, I think a lot of athletes have their little routines or lucky socks or whatever.)

Jack4Life: gave rep points for great humor.

I'm feeling much better knowing I wasn't alone this fall, wondering "what's with all the bands above the elbows?"

Comment

This year in High School football we as a Referee crew checked all the kids for these "armbands" in pre-game and instructed them to remove anything that wasn't prescribed by an MD.
                          Sweatbands are only to be used in High School ball if they are worn at the wrists or as a play-sheet. These "armbands" were apparantely deemed by the National High School League as purely a "fashion statement".

You all think the NFL is the "no-fun" league you should see some of the High School rules regarding, "bringing attention to one's self". Personally I think the rules are a good thing, especially in High-School fb.

Go Jacks!!
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

It's simple, if they wear it on Sunday(NFL), they're going to wear it on Saturday(College), they're going to want to wear it on Friday night(HS)....the only real changes in football equipment over the past 25-30 years have been in fashion....from bandana's, doo rags, gloves, and the bicep bands....mostly purely fashion.
                            Last edited by rational thought; 01-04-2008, 12:43 PM.
                            Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                            Muhammad Ali

Comment

So I should go wash off the eye-black?

I thought it cut down the glare from my computer screen.

I guess I now know why people around the office look at me funny. Or maybe there are other reasons.
                              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Working...
                              X