Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UND's Coach Lennon to SIU!

http://www.grandforksherald.com/arti...ction=homepage

Can't say I blame him. Bit of a mess way up North there...Still a better mess than their "transition partners" though.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Re: UND's Coach Lennon to SIU!

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
    http://www.grandforksherald.com/arti...ction=homepage

Can't say I blame him. Bit of a mess way up North there...Still a better mess than their "transition partners" though.

Go Jacks!!
    Good find! Interesting and will make the job at UND going through transition that much harder. Like propar80 said...can't blame him considering transition and all the logo news going on up there.

Comment

This thread is probably more suited for the Gateway forum??
      Go ahead and move it if you wish.

Go Jacks!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I wonder if Mierkort will be a candidate for the job. It would be a step up. A better program with better facilities, and an all around better atmosphere. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It should help us in recruiting if we were battling against UND for any prospects.
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I was listening to KFGO this afternoon when the news broke. A talk show hosted by Joel Hiekamp a ND legislator who happens to be a UND grad, mentioned that he was very concerend with whats going on at UND and the move to D1. The President Kupechella is leaving in February and they have no AD to hire a new football coach.

Joel also refs football and has commented more than once about the great atomsphere at CAS. Apparently he has noticed the Pride and the good crowds we have had the past couple of years. I think he was on the crew that did the UNI Game.

Mierkort to UND, thats a possiblity. The thing is that Roger Thomas is nearly unemployed as the NCC commissioner, he could come back as coach or AD. Who knows.

If you read SiouxSports to any extent, there seems to be a distrust of outsiders in such positions as AD.

Comment

Do you think that Thomas would go back since he was so against the move? Also, can't see M'kort making that move. He will have enough of a mess at Udot, but at least he will be familiar with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
              Do you think that Thomas would go back since he was so against the move?
              Roger seems to be well thought of at UND mainly because he won at football, and was a so so AD. He has been out of coaching for a while so dont see him going back to that, and he would have to change his outlook if he were selected to return as an AD. Probably would not happen either. Joel Heitkamp on KFGO mentioned his name and maybe that means little or nothing either. Joel not a bad ref, but just a talk show host and he might not have a clue either.

UND seems to be a very funny place. With the logo issue and so many changes in key personell, it going to be tough place to walk into no matter who is there. They seem to be thinking that because SDSU and NDSU made the move, UND can do it to, but they seem to doubt any outsider who has a message that the UND community does not want to hear. That is why AD Bunning is gone after a short period of time. I think from his experience at West Point, he had an idea of what D1 was about, but they appear to have ganged up on him.

I do think with Lennon's departure, UND is not going to have a good year in recruiting like they have had in the past.

Comment

There is no upside for the Sioux in this story. The best they can hope for is a controlled crash landing.

Comment

SiouxSports experts are putting their money on Tim Tibisar, who was on Lennon's staff. There seems to be talk of Lennon hiring the Minn-Duluth coach Schwiegert, or Bubba as the D Co-0rdinator. I don't know if that defensive scheme, though successful in the NCC will work in the Gateway. Tibisar has been an assist at Kansas and was a great linebacker for the UND back in the late 1980's. I remember him as a player as well. Another assistant mentioned is Mussman. Mussman seems to have his eye on the Mankato job, but no doubt he would take UND in a hurray as it would beat the 24 scholarship plan that Mankato will now have to work with in the NSIC. This all interesting speculation, and I think as a band-aide they will hire the next head coach from within.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    ..........I think as a band-aide they will hire the next head coach from within.
                    I think it is a 90% chance that it will be Mussman, just to maintain some semblance of continuity. Tibesar will get a call and would be the preferred choice by most. I'd think he'd be interested if he feels his time at Kansas St. is limited, but I'd assume would be taking a substantial pay-cut.

Comment

The NCC may be gone, but we keep seeing the strong reminents in our current and future foes.

This is a solid move for Lennon, and should serve a semi-finalist D-I school well. And of course, give Stig more opportunities to knock off Dale's teams

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                        The NCC may be gone, but we keep seeing the strong reminents in our current and future foes.

This is a solid move for Lennon, and should serve a semi-finalist D-I school well. And of course, give Stig more opportunities to knock off Dale's teams
                        Stig and Lennon are very good friends since their days at Northern State University. I believe Lennon was either a grad assistant or maybe on the staff with Stig. Back in the D2 days, Stig spoke very highly of the UND program and how disciplined it was run. I would think Stig has some mixed feelings about coaching against Lennon, but I am sure he also thought that he would meet up with him again somewhere down the path. SIU got themselves a good hire. Lennon has done a good job building both program and staff with skills, and it will be interesting to see how many of the current UND staff end up at SIU. Mussman, the O co-ordinator seems to be the inside choice as Lennon's successor, and thats what ND TV sports seem to be saying also. I dont see UND going to the open market for filling any openings whether its President, AD or coaches, and they may be making a big mistake being very parochial.

Comment

Smart move by Lennon as he'll go to a top-notch program in a top-notch conference and won't have to deal with the dung that'll be hitting the fan in Grand Forks for the next several years.

Smart move by SIU since Lennon is a proven winner who has had past experience (and success) with many of the upper-level teams in the Gateway (NDSU, SDSU, and UNI) that will be competing against the Salukis for the conference title.

FYI- Stig is 1-4 against Lennon as a head coach.

Comment

Could be an instant rival with NDSU.

Comment

Working...
                            X