Yankton Recall Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankton Recall Election

The mayor and incumbent councilman are going to be recalled. Only one precinct left to report. The lead for the challengers is insurmountable. Nice to see democracy at work.

For those who don't know, the city manager in Yankton was forced out by the mayor and "his" council. He is now the city manager in Brookings, sort of the straw that broke the camel's back as they say. I look forward to the work of the new council.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Yankton Recall Election

Brookings was the winner in this election, getting Weldon.

Comment

Congrats to the Daves and I would agree that Brookings was the big winner in this deal.

Comment

I have heard bits and pieces about the controversy in Yankton, and really not sure what the real issues are that prompted the recall. I did hear something about economic development and how it was being handled. Did the two recalled have some very personal interest in these developements? Not much as been printed, about the issues or maybe I missed it.

The City Manager from Yankton does seem to be an able manager. I dont know why but Brookings seems to be kind of a revolving door for city mangers. Most have went on to beter jobs. I think Brookings would like to keep this one for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          I have heard bits and pieces about the controversy in Yankton, and really not sure what the real issues are that prompted the recall. I did hear something about economic development and how it was being handled. Did the two recalled have some very personal interest in these developements? Not much as been printed, about the issues or maybe I missed it..
          The commission had 5 members that were trying to develope the downtown area since two to them were property owners in that area. But, I don't believe this was the only issue. The gang of 5 pretty much controlled the direction of the nine-member commission. While forcing out the city manager, everything kind of hit the fan and you can read the results. You cannot starve a community and expect it to prosper. City employees became very disgruntled after city manager left.

Comment

Not the right forum to discuss all the issues surrounding the recall. There has been some distorted info on various websites about the reason for the recall. I think its best just left as is, two new council members were elected last night. 39% voter turnout and a landslide victory over the recalled incumbents pretty well explains the general opinion of the voters/community as it pertained to the previous council.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I think Yankton county screwed up sending Hunhoff over Bernard to Pierre... I think that Bernards problem was that he had too many opinions on issues that didn't pertain to Yankton..... But i think in the long run this will be a big mistake to Yankton......

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                Not the right forum to discuss all the issues surrounding the recall.
                I agree. Don't need anymore politics. Let's move on...

Comment

I was not looking for a political scobble and to be honest I know very few people in Yankton and maybe because of that I was very curious, but a google will provide answers to my curiosity. I can see why those of you who are on this board are reluctant to discuss it further, particularily if you are dealing with the public daily. Thanks for the google suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    I was not looking for a political scobble and to be honest I know very few people in Yankton and maybe because of that I was very curious, but a google will provide answers to my curiosity. I can see why those of you who are on this board are reluctant to discuss it further, particularily if you are dealing with the public daily. Thanks for the google suggestion.
                    I appreciate your interest, Nidaros. I am fairly new to town and trying to figure some things out for myself. I can tell you that the info on the net is full of rhetoric. If you can sort through some of that the general undertones suggest that a change was needed. Now, its up to those who voted for the change to stay involved, be informed, and think about whats best for Yankton as a whole.

I wonder if someone on campus could generate some interest in SDSU basketball like some did here with the recall? With a little hard work and enthusiasm its amazing what can be accomplished.

Comment

Working...
                    X