High jumpers impressive start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High jumpers impressive start

SDSU senior Andrea Masters set the SDSU school and the Barnett Center women's high jump records in Aberdeen Thursday with a 5' 9.25" leap.

Camden Helder won the men's title at the same meet hosted by NSU, with a leap of 6 feet, 6 inches.

Those are very impressive early-season results.

We need to build indoor and outdoor track facilities so that the Jackrabbits can reclaim their great tradition of success in track and field.

Re: High jumpers impressive start

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    SDSU senior Andrea Masters set the SDSU school and the Barnett Center women's high jump records in Aberdeen Thursday with a 5' 9.25" leap.

Camden Helder won the men's title at the same meet hosted by NSU, with a leap of 6 feet, 6 inches.

Those are very impressive early-season results.

We need to build indoor and outdoor track facilities so that the Jackrabbits can reclaim their great tradition of success in track and field.

I would agree. I would think it has moved up on the project board. Would or could an indoor track be part of the Dykhouse project? This has been a big need for a long time.

Yesterday while having breakfast at Perkins, Ron DeHaven had a group of recruits in for breakfast. One had a Perham letter jacket and pretty certain thats Perham Minnesota that is a short distance from Fargo Moorhead. Just from the jacket it appears Ron is giving NDSU a run for their money in terms of recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I would agree. I would think it has moved up on the project board. Would or could an indoor track be part of the Dykhouse project? This has been a big need for a long time.

Yesterday while having breakfast at Perkins, Ron DeHaven had a group of recruits in for breakfast. One had a Perham letter jacket and pretty certain thats Perham Minnesota that is a short distance from Fargo Moorhead. Just from the jacket it appears Ron is giving NDSU a run for their money in terms of recruiting.
      That's Rod DeHaven.

Comment

I know eventually a new indoor training facility is in the plans to be added to the Dykehouse Center...how high up on the list this is, I'm sure only a few know. With the growing student-athlete population, the balancing act with the athletic budget must be very difficult.

Personally I think the indoor training facility should be at the top of the priority list for student-athlete wellfare. With the Pharmacy program expanding into the Barn to accommodate for the new Pharmacy building construction, this puts an even greater strain on indoor practice schedules for baseball, softball, track, soccer...etc. They are currently converting shower/locker rooms in the Barn to offices, and I don't expect them to be converted back after the new building is completed.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but these teams have nowhere to practice in the winter (not to mention football off season conditioning, tennis, volleyball, golf) when the HPER center is unavailable and limited space in the barn as it is.

I heard the athletic department purchased a golf dome for a temporary fix to this problem...anyone else heard of this? If this is true I would think starting the foundation to the proposed indoor training facility and throwing a bubble over it would be relatively inexpensive until enough money is raised to complete the facility. Anyone have inside information on this?

Comment

I'm not aware of the bubble purchase...but I can add several things to this: 1) The Dykhouse Student Athletic Development Center will only be half completed, with the $6 million, and will take care of football offices and locker rooms, and the infrastruture for all outdoor sports (weight, training, etc.) But first on the priority list will then be raising the additional $6-$9 million to complete the building. 2) The large indoor training facility (which could double as an indoor track facility, practice facility for football, baseball, soccer, etc.) is to be built adjacent (on north side) to the Dykhouse Center. It probably won't happen for awhile. 3) The need to revamp and/or rebuild the football stadium (east side and eventually west side) will be driven by need for expansion of the stadium (east side) and replacement of the west side, and will be cost evaluated on the revenue that can be produced (corporate boxes, ticket prices, etc.) and that might interfere with any schedule for the indoor training facilities.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
            That's Rod DeHaven.
            Sorry about that. I am sure Rod would forgive me. How about you?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Sorry about that. I am sure Rod would forgive me. How about you?
              Very much so. You are forgiven.

Comment

The "Fieldhouse" is next on the wish list for the Athletic Department after the Dykhouse SAC is built--although they'd love to build both at the same time.

I personally would not argue with the need for permanent locker rooms and meeting rooms for the football team--other teams at SDSU have needs, too, but none of them, to my knowledge, are a) revenue sports and b) meeting in trailers.

Somebody quick, win a Powerball, or invent MS-DOS, or something . . .

I know that Fred and the crew in the Athletic Dept. are well aware of all of the facilities needs, and aware of the resources available. They're trying to do the most with the least. The Dykhouse Center will ultimately benefit every athletic program at SDSU--it's a pretty good bang-for-the-buck, all things considered.

The "Fieldhouse" is next on the bang-for-the-buck list, which is why it's next on the to-do list.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

my understanding is that they have received a few more donations that they plan on announcing in the spring.. Don't know how much but I think they are fairly big.... The only question is do you want to put a fieldhouse up there? Because if you are going to have events there do you want spectators there? I don't know I'm asking the question would you rather build it as part of the Hyper center because its already set up for events? I don't know if there is room or not I'm just throwing things out there....

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitCountry View Post
                    I know eventually a new indoor training facility is in the plans to be added to the Dykehouse Center...how high up on the list this is, I'm sure only a few know. With the growing student-athlete population, the balancing act with the athletic budget must be very difficult.

Personally I think the indoor training facility should be at the top of the priority list for student-athlete wellfare. With the Pharmacy program expanding into the Barn to accommodate for the new Pharmacy building construction, this puts an even greater strain on indoor practice schedules for baseball, softball, track, soccer...etc. They are currently converting shower/locker rooms in the Barn to offices, and I don't expect them to be converted back after the new building is completed.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but these teams have nowhere to practice in the winter (not to mention football off season conditioning, tennis, volleyball, golf) when the HPER center is unavailable and limited space in the barn as it is.

I heard the athletic department purchased a golf dome for a temporary fix to this problem...anyone else heard of this? If this is true I would think starting the foundation to the proposed indoor training facility and throwing a bubble over it would be relatively inexpensive until enough money is raised to complete the facility. Anyone have inside information on this?
                    I heard that they recieved the old golf dome from SF as a donation...rumor only though
                    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                    Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
                      I heard that they recieved the old golf dome from SF as a donation...rumor only though
                      You jogged my memory as I believe I heard this not all that long ago as well. Can't remember from who though. I guess I tucked it into the largely unused portion of my brain.

I'm doubling my donation from last year (still not very much) and requesting that it go towards the Dykhouse SAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
                        You jogged my memory as I believe I heard this not all that long ago as well. Can't remember from who though. I guess I tucked it into the largely unused portion of my brain.

I'm doubling my donation from last year (still not very much) and requesting that it go towards the Dykhouse SAC.
                        I'm thinking it was Avera or whoever bought the dome in SF
                        Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                        Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
                          The golf dome I think you are talking about is now part of the Avera Sports Institute ( www.averasports.org ) which house McKennan Acceleration, Tibbets Basketball School, Dakota Gold soccer, etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X