Mitchell Report released today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitchell Report released today

This is going to be amazing to watch this unfold and what affect it has on Major League Baseball!

Have to imagine there are a lot of nervous players out there today.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Re: Mitchell Report released today

yeah. this shall be a very interesting sports day indeed.

Comment

From CNBC (http://www.cnbc.com/id/22243678 ):

Major Stars to Be Named In Baseball's Steroids Report

Several current and former baseball stars are among expected to be named in a report later today on steroid use in Major League Baseball.

The following names are expected to be named in the report, according to WNBC:

Brady Anderson, Manny Alexander, Rick Ankiel, Jeff Bagwell, Barry Bonds, Aaron Boone, Rafaeil Bettancourt, Bret Boone, Milton Bradley, David Bell, Dante Bichette, Albert Belle, Paul Byrd, Wil Cordero, Ken Caminiti, Mike Cameron, Ramon Castro, Jose and Ozzie Canseco, Roger Clemens, Paxton Crawford, Wilson Delgado, Lenn y Dykstra, Johnny Damon, Carl Everett, Kyle Farnsworth, Ryan Franklin, Rich Garces, Jason Grimsley, Troy Glaus, Juan Gonzalez, Eric Gagne, Nomar Garciaparra, Jason Giambi, Jeremy Giambi, Jose Guillen, Jay Gibbons, Juan Gonzalez, Clay Hensley, Jerry Hairston, Felix Heredia, Jr., Darren Holmes, Wally Joyner, Darryl Kile, Matt Lawton, Raul Mondesi, Mark McGwire, Guillermo Mota, Robert Machado, Damian Moss, Abraham Nunez, Trot Nixon, Jose Offerman, Andy Pettitte, Mark Prior, Neifi Perez, Rafael Palmiero, Albert Pujols, Brian Roberts, Juan Rincon, John Rocker, Pudge Rodriguez, Sammy Sosa, Scott Schoenweiis, David Segui, Alex Sanchez, Gary Sheffield, Miguel Tejada, Julian Tavarez, Fernando Tatis, Maurice Vaughn, Jason Varitek, Ismael Valdez, Matt Williams and Kerry Wood.

Mitchell's report exposes a "serious drug culture within baseball, from top to bottom," fingers MVPs and All-Stars and calls for beefed-up testing by an outside agency to clean up the game, The Associated Press learned.

The report by former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell will include names of 60 to 80 players linked to performance-enhancing substances and plenty more information that exposes "deep problems" afflicting the sport, one of two sources with knowledge of the findings told the AP. Both sources said the report would not address amphetamines.

The two sources were familiar with discussions that led to the final draft but did not want to be identified because it was confidential until its scheduled release. They said the full report, which they had not read, totaled 304 pages plus exhibits.

Mitchell, a Boston Red Sox director, planned to release his report at 2 p.m. Thursday during a news conference in New York City. CNBC.com will carry the conference live.

Comment

I think a lot of us could have named 75% of those guys if we had time to think about it.

The one I was most suprised at is Albert Pujols. Also, if this is true, did it lead to Darryl Kile's heart attack?

Comment

There is going to be so many that it will make it hard to look at anything accomplished over the last couple of decades and decipher whether someone was a clean player.

Many people have advocated that the only way to level the plaing field is to say anything goes. I have never subscribed to that theory but when my guess is that after reading the report that my mind may change on the subject.

Roger Clemens? I guess his legendary workout routine just wasn't quite enough!

Do other sports (NBA, NFL) have policies and testing in place that wouldn't uncover revelations like in MLB if there was a similar type investigation?

With all of the money out there in pro sports it shouldn't be a suprise that athletes will do whatever it takes to get to the top.

This is another large endorsement for college athletics where the game is still played for the love of the game!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post
            I think a lot of us could have named 75% of those guys if we had time to think about it.

The one I was most suprised at is Albert Pujols. Also, if this is true, did it lead to Darryl Kile's heart attack?
            I see it really helped Prior and Woods.

Comment

That CNBC list is most definitely incorrect. MANY of those names are not mentioned.

Comment

Wow. CNBC was way off.

Bad information.
                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by sfsd View Post
                  That CNBC list is most definitely incorrect. MANY of those names are not mentioned.
                  Oh oh. I figured they had an advance copy of the report and that's why they named names.

You can see the report yourself:
                  http://files.mlb.com/mitchrpt.pdf

"However, it is a fact that between 5 and 7 percent of the major league players who
                  participated in anonymous survey testing in 2003 tested positive for performance enhancing
                  substances. Those figures almost certainly understated the actual level of use...." Mitchell Report, SR-2.

Comment

Originally posted by sfsd View Post
                    I have a different feeling, rather than saying CNBC is not correct. They probably got a copy of the list that wasnt supposed to be released to the public. Thats right I'm saying that CNBC is probably not going to make up a bunch of names, but they had info that was probably only meant for Selig and maybe a couple others. Do I believe that Selig would try to cover some of this up, your d@mn right. He's the reason steroids are a problem in baseball, after all he is the commissioner. He obviously hasnt had a problem turning a blind eye in the past.

The baseball players association still won't allow blood testing, they say its too invasive. Even though all olympic athletes have to consent to blood testing. Guess the only way to test for HGH (Human Growth Hormone). Thats right blood test only.

My 2 cents.

BTW, if your really interested in the whole baseball steroids scandal involving Bonds, I suggest reading the book Game Of Shadows. It was written by a couple reporters who had a lot of inside info into the whole BALCO case. It talked about many olympic athletes who used steroids (including Marion Jones). So far pretty much everyone they said were clients of BALCO and used steroids have been caught. Its a really interesting read if you would like to learn a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post

Maybe CNBC just sat around thinking up names also!

I agree with 3467. I don't think there is any way we are done hearing additional names. The guys that have been whispered about are guys that had some great years, sometimes out of nowhere, then physically broke down. That would apply to Brady Anderson, who hit 50 home runs one year, Bret Boone, who had some good power numbers for a couple of years before the Twins signed him, Wil Cordero, and a few others. Some of the players listed also were involved in some domestic violence incidents, which could be 'roid rage. CNBC may have jumped the gun on the list, but I don't think it is the first time that a lot of the players on the list have been associatied with steroids.

Those that are named for the first time however no doubt have legal council all ready for the lawsuit.

Comment

Working...
                      X