Tuesday's Sports Headline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuesday's Sports Headline

Hundreds attend next great in state rivalry.

I listened to Craig and Bob blather the other day about how Augie v USF was going to be the new great instate rivalry. Just saw a clip of the game on KDLT and it appeared to be poorly attended.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Re: Tuesday's Sports Headline

Watching KELO report on the game... I thought the clips made it look like Augie had better athletes even though the reporter tried to show good film of each team. The game was a fund raiser for a charity and I think the reporter said they'd raised something like $5,400 for the charity.

Augustana 76, USF 50

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
      Hundreds attend next great in state rivalry.

I listened to Craig and Bob blather the other day about how Augie v USF was going to be the new great instate rivalry. Just saw a clip of the game on KDLT and it appeared to be poorly attended.
      Can't stand to listen to them anymore. Too much blah, blah, blah, Sioux Falls, blah, blah, blah...

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
        Can't stand to listen to them anymore. Too much blah, blah, blah, Sioux Falls, blah, blah, blah...
        The KWSN signal is not very strong and basically for Sioux Falls area, and to get that signal even in area west of Brookings, you got to get in the car and drive to crest of a hill. Apparently the signal does carry better to the south than to the north. My point being is that Craig and Bob are pandering to their listeners who are anyone else except SDSU fans. They seem to thing all SDSU fans are in the Brookings area, and they may be very wrong on that point. I often wondered is more Alums in SF were to call in and take issue with some of their comments, they might in the future be more considerate. KWSN enjoys the SDSU negatives and seldom do they compliment the good things.

Since the Augie vs USF was a local event, I can see why they were hyping it. USF has a contract with KWSN for broadcasts of their fB and BB game which gives them another reason to make some noise. I see the event drew 3000 people to the SF Arena and they made about 6k for charity.

KWSN was never a big proponent to D1 move by SDSU. When USD announced, they seemed to express, the sky is falling on the NCC, and SDSU was the varmit that started it all. But let Craig and Bob be themselves. They apparently are making money for KWSN and doing so with out being a mouth piece for SDSU. I been down this trail before and so has the message board. We got Terry at the Argus, and that makes Craig and Bob very insignificant IMO.

Comment

The fact is that they are a Sioux Falls radio station that reaches out approximately 30 miles so it is natural for them to focus more of their attention on the sports that are in their immediate area but when it comes to college they should definitely expand their horizons.

SDSU is a big player in the Sioux Falls market and they should do a better job of getting behind things here. They report on things but that's about it. Things like the GWFC Championship and the Volleyball team in the NCAA Tournament are big things for SDSU and for the State of South Dakota.

It's too bad, really. They are probably too predisposed to not be pro SDSU at this point to make a change and give us proper support. It should be a show that focuses on all things sports in South Dakota of which SDSU is undeniably a big part of that!

The only way to change it is to continue to have good things happen that they simply can't ignore!

I guess I should qualify this by saying that I am not a regular listener of the show but do check it out when I get a chance.

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

KWSN just isn't the same since Henriksen left to do SportsMax!
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
              KWSN just isn't the same since Henriksen left to do SportsMax!
              You mean it was worse? I think so as Hendricksen really had a dim view of SDSU moving to D1. If you can defend that, be my guest.

Comment

We do get a good signal in the afternoon and I used to listen daily. I can understand their coverage of the local high schools, but even when they (including Hendrickson) do the state championships, they cannot let go of the SF bias. That is their choice and I really don't care. What gets under my skin is what has been mentioned above. The coverage for SDSU on the positive side has been poor and the negative items are covered a great lengths. I could give a crap about the high school coverage, let the local towns take care of that. But they just can't get over SDSU's switch to DI. Although I have not called them, I did e-mail them at times and got the standard answer. Craig's standard answer is if you don't agree with him, change the dial. I did...

Comment

IMHO whether it's Craig, Mike or Bob on KWSN and regardless of what biases they may have the bottom line is none of them have much talent or knowledge for an all sports station radio program in the size of a market of Sioux Falls. I would much rather listen on-line to Jeff Culhane on 1570 in Yankton. He may have some USD biases, but he is much more professional and includes good interviews with SDSU coaches and other area coaches from around the area. I caught an interview he had with Tubby Smith after Colton Iverson committed to Minnesota and it was very well done. You might want to give it a try as Jeff is balanced and has been very complimentary of SDSU's success at the DI level!

Comment

I also have quit listening since Mike Henricksen left. I do not agree that he was anti-SDSU, but he was not a fan and he shouldn't have been. He asked questions, and if something was answered, he would say that. If he disagreed with the answer he would say that also. He also said what he thought was good, i.e. the GWFC.

For the first time in a long time I had to listen to Craig and Bob (riding with someone else) and it happened to be the first show after SDSU announced the agreements with Nebraska and Illinois. Craig embarassed himself that day. I actually felt pity for him that he let his personal feelings over the USD-SDSU playing each other situation so completely overtake any rational analysis of getting those agreements. His statements were riduculous, "This is what they wanted when they made the move, playing for a bowl berth now. They all forget that it is only one game each year and that they are only doing it for the money." (said with a very sarcastic tone). Bob even tried to pull him back, but he couldn't. He then said that if SDSU played USD at Brookings, SDSU would make more money than what it will get in guarantees. I don't know if that is true, but I don't see how it impacts whether it is a good for SDSU to have these contracts.

TV was on shortly after this and basically said he didn't see how there could be any downside to this, other than it sets the bar pretty high for getting the best recruiting year to date as a D-1 team; playoff eligible, Dykhouse facility, Gateway conference, Iowa State, U of MN in their new stadium, Nebraska, Illinois. Craig had nothing to say.

The last time I called in, and it was the last time I listened to the show, Craig was ranting that it was only pride stopping the game and that USD wanted to play. I called and said that SDSU playing USD may make sense when they are a counter, but why should SDSU make it more difficult for the team to qualify for the playoffs than it could be. His response was that SDSU has no business think about the playoffs because they aren't eligible. I guess the fact that the current season was going to be changed, but future years SDSU is playoff eligible. I told him that if the SDSU administration starts choosing options that make it LESS likely for the teams to get into the post-season because they will make a lot of money, that is when I will start asking for a change in the leadership.

KWSN has a problem beginning at 2:00 with Stephen Smith. Shouting does not make you informative. Craig and Bob is no where close to Craig and Mike used to be, and I thought Bob Laskowski (sp?) was going to be good, but I was wrong. At 2:00, Garage Logic starts on KWOA, it is much more entertaining. Craig has gotten his wish from me, I changed the dial.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

We just started a new weekly sports talk show up here. Unfortunately, it's on AM, so the coverage area at night shrinks down to the size of an orange.

But it sounded good the first night!
                      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I quit listening quite a while ago and I haven't missed a thing except some aggravation that would have been brought on if I had listened. I guess I don't miss that either, so I haven't missed a thing.

I also endorse Jeff Cullhane's show on KVHT. Get it over the net. He definitely "pimps" USD a lot but he is much more objective than Kevin and talks quite a bit about SDSU, DI FCS, and the Summit League.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                          IMHO whether it's Craig, Mike or Bob on KWSN and regardless of what biases they may have the bottom line is none of them have much talent or knowledge for an all sports station radio program in the size of a market of Sioux Falls. I would much rather listen on-line to Jeff Culhane on 1570 in Yankton. He may have some USD biases, but he is much more professional and includes good interviews with SDSU coaches and other area coaches from around the area. I caught an interview he had with Tubby Smith after Colton Iverson committed to Minnesota and it was very well done. You might want to give it a try as Jeff is balanced and has been very complimentary of SDSU's success at the DI level!
                          Ditto, I have caught him on the internet a few times, and he really treats Coach Stig with respect. If he was not biased to USD, we would be hurting for listenership.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                            I also have quit listening since Mike Henricksen left. I do not agree that he was anti-SDSU, but he was not a fan and he shouldn't have been. He asked questions, and if something was answered, he would say that. If he disagreed with the answer he would say that also. He also said what he thought was good, i.e. the GWFC.

For the first time in a long time I had to listen to Craig and Bob (riding with someone else) and it happened to be the first show after SDSU announced the agreements with Nebraska and Illinois. Craig embarassed himself that day. I actually felt pity for him that he let his personal feelings over the USD-SDSU playing each other situation so completely overtake any rational analysis of getting those agreements. His statements were riduculous, "This is what they wanted when they made the move, playing for a bowl berth now. They all forget that it is only one game each year and that they are only doing it for the money." (said with a very sarcastic tone). Bob even tried to pull him back, but he couldn't. He then said that if SDSU played USD at Brookings, SDSU would make more money than what it will get in guarantees. I don't know if that is true, but I don't see how it impacts whether it is a good for SDSU to have these contracts.

TV was on shortly after this and basically said he didn't see how there could be any downside to this, other than it sets the bar pretty high for getting the best recruiting year to date as a D-1 team; playoff eligible, Dykhouse facility, Gateway conference, Iowa State, U of MN in their new stadium, Nebraska, Illinois. Craig had nothing to say.

The last time I called in, and it was the last time I listened to the show, Craig was ranting that it was only pride stopping the game and that USD wanted to play. I called and said that SDSU playing USD may make sense when they are a counter, but why should SDSU make it more difficult for the team to qualify for the playoffs than it could be. His response was that SDSU has no business think about the playoffs because they aren't eligible. I guess the fact that the current season was going to be changed, but future years SDSU is playoff eligible. I told him that if the SDSU administration starts choosing options that make it LESS likely for the teams to get into the post-season because they will make a lot of money, that is when I will start asking for a change in the leadership.

KWSN has a problem beginning at 2:00 with Stephen Smith. Shouting does not make you informative. Craig and Bob is no where close to Craig and Mike used to be, and I thought Bob Laskowski (sp?) was going to be good, but I was wrong. At 2:00, Garage Logic starts on KWOA, it is much more entertaining. Craig has gotten his wish from me, I changed the dial.

I had been wondering if anyone else on the board has listened to that classless rant by Craig. I couldn't believe he took the scheduling of Nebraska and Illinois as an opportunity to talk about why SDSU should be scheduling USD. I almost drove off the road.
                            I've heard the two of them say some stupid things in regards to SDSU and the move to D-1, but that day took the cake.

That will be the last time I listen to 1230 am after 3:00 again. I just hope I never get the chance to meet Craig in person, it may get ugly.

Go Jacks!!
                            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              I also endorse Jeff Cullhane's show on KVHT. Get it over the net. He definitely "pimps" USD a lot but he is much more objective than Kevin and talks quite a bit about SDSU, DI FCS, and the Summit League.

At first I let my bias decide if I liked Jeff or not, but after listening to him now for a couple years or whatever it has been, I humbally admit that he does a good job. He brings in much more upper midwest sports than any other local station in this area. He also does a good job of covering SDSU, Summit and GWFC in a predominately Udot area.

Comment

Working...
                              X