Delaware and Michigan football helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delaware and Michigan football helmets

What other college teams have the old "wing" design on the football helmet similar to Michigan and Delaware. I can't think of any others. But, I've seen very old pictures and that design was somewhat common in the pre-face guard days. In fact, Watertown High School's helmets in the 1930s and 40s were copies of Michigan helmets (made of leather too!).

Re: Delaware and Michigan football helmets

Gustavus Adolphus.

Really not sure if I spelled that right, but I do know they have those helmets in Black and Gold.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

You spelled it correctly. I didn't know had the Michigan-style helmet. I suspect that was simply a very common helmet design decades ago when leather helmets were used. The wings above the forehead were another layer of leather for padding/protection.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        I suspect that was simply a very common helmet design decades ago when leather helmets were used. The wings above the forehead were another layer of leather for padding/protection.
        Is that the kind of helmet you used when you were playing, JD?

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winged_Football_Helmet

A little history on the winged helmet design. I had always thought it was brought in during the leather helmet days to help distinguish one team from the other.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Jack4Life: One old-timer to another...! I went out for the football team one year -- my senior year. I was the worst guy on the worst team in Watertown's history and I can prove it!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Jack4Life: One old-timer to another...! I went out for the football team one year -- my senior year. I was the worst guy on the worst team in Watertown's history and I can prove it!
              Ill vouch for you! I saw it with my own eyes.......of course you beat us......6-0,,,,,,What a game!

Comment

Yeah, HoboD took me out of the game by sitting on me. That was one of only two wins for the season. Just goes to show what a team can do when it sets its mind to getting the heck done with the game because the beer was on ice.

Comment

Princeton

Comment

Working...
                  X