Nebraska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nebraska

The Cornchumps from Nebraska come into Frost tonight. They are ranked 12th in the country. So if you got nothing better to do tonight come to Frost at 7:00 and support the Jacks as they take on one of the best teams of any sport to ever come into Frost.

Re: Nebraska

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
    The Cornchumps from Nebraska come into Frost tonight. They are ranked 12th in the country. So if you got nothing better to do tonight come to Frost at 7:00 and support the Jacks as they take on one of the best teams of any sport to ever come into Frost.
    I am going to go back into my memory bank and try and remember the dates, but when I was a freshman (1972-73) Minnesota was ranked 2nd in the nation I believe and the Jacks took them to the heavyweight match before they won. I think the heavyweight was Jim Murray from SF. I think other wrestlers on the team at that time might have been Stan Opp and Mike Engle. The match was held in the Barn, so I think it had to be those years. Not saying Nebraska isn't one of the best now, but we did have another good team back then. Ouch, I am tired from thinking that hard!
    Last edited by Jack4Life; 12-07-2007, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
      I am going to go back into my memory bank and try and remember the dates, but when I was a freshman (1972-73) Minnesota was ranked 2nd in the nation I believe and the Jacks took them to the heavyweight match before they won. I think the heavyweight was Jim Murray from SF. I think other wrestlers on the team at that time might have been Stan Opp and Mike Engle. The match was held in the Barn, so I think it had to be those years. Not saying Nebraska isn't one of the best now, but we did have another good team back then. Ouch, I am tired from thinking that hard!
      Speaking of Minnesota, hopefully they softened the cornhuskers up.

Comment

I am going to go back into my memory bank and try and remember the dates, but when I was a freshman (1972-73) Minnesota was ranked 2nd in the nation I believe and the Jacks took them to the heavyweight match before they won.
        The best team the Jacks ever wrestled was without a doubt the 1996 Iowa Hawkeyes of Coach Dan Gable who went on that year to win the 3rd of six consecutive national championships. You may remember Lincoln McIlravay from Phillip who wrestled for Gable at Iowa. His senior year, as a tribute to Lincoln, Dan brought the Hawkeyes to the Phillip gym to wrestle SDSU. Final score, 38-6. Be interesting to know who lost those matches for Iowa, they probably had to walk back home.

Comment

Good memory, Jack4Life. Opp, Aberdeen, and Engels, Watertown, were both two-time All-Americans. Engels later coached the Jackrabbits. That year I learned where Lodgepole, SD, was located -- if my memory serves, that's the hometown of All-American Dick Vliem from those years.

Comment

SDSU lost 37-12 last night. Ryan Meyer and Alan Marvin picked up the only wins for the Jackrabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
              The best team the Jacks ever wrestled was without a doubt the 1996 Iowa Hawkeyes of Coach Dan Gable who went on that year to win the 3rd of six consecutive national championships. You may remember Lincoln McIlravay from Phillip who wrestled for Gable at Iowa. His senior year, as a tribute to Lincoln, Dan brought the Hawkeyes to the Phillip gym to wrestle SDSU. Final score, 38-6. Be interesting to know who lost those matches for Iowa, they probably had to walk back home.
              I remember it well. Had my family out in the Hills for skiing, and I drove over to Philip to watch the Hawkeyes, and McIlravay. It was quite a night as the Philip fans filled their gym for the occasion.

Comment

Just to add to the 72-73 team - it also had Pat Suiter and Jerry Vliem (I think Jerry was on the team then - he had some issues) and was a great team to watch.

Comment

Working...
                X