Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Stiegelmeier is a finalists for Coach of the Year

SDSU football coach is finalist for Coach of the Year Award

South Dakota State head football coach John Stiegelmeier is among the Division I-AA finalists for the 2007 Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award.

The award, which honors the college football coaches who best exemplify responsibility and excellence on and off the field of play, expanded from the inaugural 2006 award given to one winner to being presented to a coach from all four NCAA divisions.

Each winner receives $50,000 from Liberty Mutual to support his civic and charitable activities, $20,000 in scholarship to his school's alumni association, and is recognized in the permanent Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year display at the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend, Ind.

Each finalist was selected by a fan-voting system which took place earlier this fall. The top 25 vote-getters in each division qualified to be evaluated by an objective model designed exclusively for the Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award and reviewed and endorsed by the College Football Hall of Fame.

The model arrived at the finalists by scoring each of the qualifying coaches in coaching excellence, sportsmanship and integrity, academic excellence and community commitment.

Between Dec. 5 and Dec. 15, the public can go to www.coachoftheyear.com to review bios and fan testimonials supporting each candidate and vote for their selection. Fan votes in this second phase account for 20 percent of each coach's final score, with a voting committee of college football media (25 percent) and College Football Hall of Fame coaches and players (55 percent) contributing the remainder.

The winners will be announced Dec. 29 on an ABC special presentation hosted by Hall of Fame Sportscaster Keith Jackson and ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit at 4:30 p.m. The special award presentation will re-air January 8 on ESPN2 at 1 p.m.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/71204030
    By Craig Henry
    crhenry@argusleader.com
    Comment Print Email PUBLISHED: December 4, 2007

Re: John Stiegelmeier is a finalists for Coach of the Year

Congrats to Coach Stig! Definitely a well deserved nomination. As an added bonus, I would think this should help out on the recruiting end.

Go Jacks !!!
    “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Very Cool!!

Starting tomorrow, get your essays ready! Let's help Coach Stig get this award!!!
      Does anyone know anything about the teams overall GPA? I think this is definitely a strength of Coach Stig's recruiting.

MJA, Filbert, JackMD and JD....It's your time! String those beautiful words together!

Go Jacks!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by rjacks21 View Post
        Congrats to Coach Stig! Definitely a well deserved nomination. As an added bonus, I would think this should help out on the recruiting end.

Go Jacks !!!
        Very true, however, Coach Stig would probably be the last one to mention it to anybody. Just the kind of guy he is.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
          Very true, however, Coach Stig would probably be the last one to mention it to anybody. Just the kind of guy he is.
          I would agree 100%, indeed as humble as they come. Even if SDSU put together a 30 to 40 game winning streak, I'd be willing to bet he would still stay with us. He would be flattered with raises and I think a big part of his success so far and into the future is his ability to delegate, but still have an eye for what is going on. The staff he has now are some of the most talented people we have ever had IMO. These people are getting offers and lets hope we can find better replacements when they take that offer. ie Conklin to Wofford.

Unless you missed it we know, he got about 36K raise this year which I believe was a Gateway requirement. I am sure he has considered himself blessed for the raise, but has more than earned it.

Comment

Stig could go 100-0 and still bring out how blessed he is to have great coaches and student athletes with him. I enjoy the way he can tell a story about a couple of his players and what they mean to him or the team. It is not all wins and losses. He truly feels he is coaching teens to become men. Not many are going to be pro football players, but they all become men. We are the ones who are blessed to have him at SDSU.

Comment

Don't forget to vote today at www.coachoftheyear.com. All of you with the gift of writing need to get on there for sure. Let's get out and support Stig.

Comment

Someone has to put this on the BisonVille

Comment

No one deserves this honor more than Stig.......He is one of the unselfish people I know, he prepares his players for life, football is more than a game. His players respect and work very hard for him. You would be hard pressed for anyone to say a bad word about him. I am proud to say he is the Head Coach of The South Dakota State Jackrabbits.

Go Jacks !!!!!!
                  http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Here is what I wrote when I voted for Coach Stig

Realizes that, although winning is important, there is a life for his players after football. He develops top notch citizens, graduates his players, and has a high team GPA. Shows great sportsmanship, and preaches it to his players, which it is amazing that he has any players. SDSU has sub par football facilities to say the least, yet "Coach Stig" is still able to bring in top notch recruits to SDSU, to compete at SDSU, to win at SDSU, and to graduate from SDSU. Coach Stig is very deserving of this award.

Comment

Coach Stig is very deserving because of his commitment to building not just great football players, but great men as well. He has built our program in such a classy manner and led the team through the turbulent waters of transition without sacrificing what he or the program stands for and that is to be commended. I hope he coaches for a very long time. Go State!!
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

A quick couple of Coach Stig stories for you.

The first one being my favorite. When I was being recruited by SDSU, Coach Stig was my recruiting coach. At one point during recruiting, the Snow Queen Pageant was going on in Aberdeen (I think). He mailed me a copy of the article from the Aberdeen newspaper which included a picture of all the candidates and their choice of colleges for the upcoming school year. Overwhelmingly, the choice for most contestants was SDSU. Stig sent the article with a quick note stating, and I'll never forget this, "See, all the pretty girls go to SDSU. Take care, Stig." I thought it was a genious move by Stig to send the note.

Second one being another recruiting story. During Coach Stig's home visit to my house, my twin sister made brownies for Coach Stig and Coach Daly. My twin sister also attended SDSU and obviously attended most of the football games. Without fail, whenever Coach Stig would run into my sister/family, he would tell anyone who would listen that he still remembers the brownies my sister baked. Considering the number of recruiting trips he had been on in his time and other things going on, I felt it was an indicator of who Coach Stig was that he never forgot a simple tray of brownies baked by my sister.

Last story (I have a lot, but will quit at 3). One of the first times I came back to SDSU after graduating, I stopped in to visit with Stig. I went to give him a hand shake greeting. He promptly pushed my hand away with a "get outta here" and gave me a big hug. To this day, when we talk he always ends our conversations with the same reminder - Be the Best Father Possible. That's just who he is. If there is an example of good guys don't always finish last, this is it. When I had my last meeting with Coach Stig before graduation, I told him he ranked just behind my dad and my grandfather as important men in my life. Still holds true to this day. Congrats Stig. You deserve it.
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Added my opinions regarding Stig and this recognition. I only know him as an alumni and booster of SDSU athletics but each time I have interacted with Coach Stig I have come away impressed. He is definitely deserving of consideration for this award and the recognition it carries.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Guys, there is another vote. I'm not sure if this has the ultimate say, but we need the voters again.

http://www.coachoftheyear.com - Click on Stigs picture

Comment

ccccccx
                              Last edited by launcher46; 11-07-2010, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X