No announcement yet.

What should the Twins do with Santana?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should the Twins do with Santana?

Apparently, the Twins are supposed to respond to the trade proposal for Santana by the Yankees, which includes Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrara, and one other prospect, by the end of today. They are also receiving offers from the Red Sox. Should the Twins trade Santana before the season starts, or should they hold on to him untill the trade deadline of next season? Trading him now will probably result in the best deal, but if the Twins happen to be in a pennent race next year it would be nice to have Santana on board. If they are not in contension, then they could trade to a team who is desperate for late-season pitching.
    Last edited by agrabbit18; 12-03-2007, 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Re: What should the Twins do with Santana?

I think they need to trade him now or they will risk not receiving anything for him. Santana has recently told the Twins to trade him now or he will not waive his no trade clause once the season starts.
    “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by rjacks21 View Post
      I think they need to trade him now or they will risk not receiving anything for him. Santana has recently told the Twins to trade him now or he will not waive his no trade clause once the season starts.
      thats not true.... Santana's agent was on and said he would waive it for the right situation but when the season starts the right situations slim and that he never said he would only be traded to Boston or New York........ I think they should resign him I just do hes one player that came up with the Twins likes it in Minnesota and would break a lot of records and put up great career numbers.....

Comment

I think they should trade him to the yankees for Kyle Farnsworth, Shelley Duncan, Wilson Betemit, and a player to be named later.

And I have no bias.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
          I think they should trade him to the yankees for Kyle Farnsworth, Shelley Duncan, Wilson Betemit, and a player to be named later.

And I have no bias.
          I think the Yankees suck and they should trade him to the BoSox for Coco Crisp and Lester. Though I hate to see Lester go. He's a good young lefty. The Twins should make out pretty well in this deal.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            thats not true.... Santana's agent was on and said he would waive it for the right situation but when the season starts the right situations slim and that he never said he would only be traded to Boston or New York........ I think they should resign him I just do hes one player that came up with the Twins likes it in Minnesota and would break a lot of records and put up great career numbers.....
            No trade clause or not. I think the Twins would be making a mistake keeping Santana at this point. What's the point of keeping him for the season, finishing 3rd or 4th in the AL Central with their weak offense, and then losing him to free agency to the Yankees or Red Sox after the season and not getting anything in return (with the exception of freeing up some money).
            “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
              I think the Yankees suck and they should trade him to the BoSox for Coco Crisp and Lester. Though I hate to see Lester go. He's a good young lefty. The Twins should make out pretty well in this deal.
              How many AL east teams do you root for...or does it depend on what decade we are in and which ones have won championships in said decade.

Comment

MLB is a business and I think good business sense says they should trade him now. It seems that all of the rumors are with AL East teams. I with that they would shop him around the National League for a couple of reasons. Reason number one is that they are less likely to face him before the World Series unless it happens to be one of their few inter-league games. Reason number two is that the Twins have been pretty successful with the small ball style play of the National League. They might as well continue on that path.
                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

How many AL east teams do you root for...or does it depend on what decade we are in and which ones have won championships in said decade.

Whomever is beating the Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                    MLB is a business and I think good business sense says they should trade him now. It seems that all of the rumors are with AL East teams. I with that they would shop him around the National League for a couple of reasons. Reason number one is that they are less likely to face him before the World Series unless it happens to be one of their few inter-league games. Reason number two is that the Twins have been pretty successful with the small ball style play of the National League. They might as well continue on that path.
                    Personally, I wish the Twins would resign him for the money he is worth and let their fans enjoy Johan's success. I am sure I will get killed on here for saying that, but their ownership has the money (I believe Mr. Pollad is one of the wealthier owners, if not the wealthiest, in the league) and they probably owe it to their fans and the taxpayers of MN who are bankrolling their new stadium. As a lifelong Yankee fan, I would love to have Johan, but I find myself rooting for the Twins as well and wish their fans would be rewarded.

If MLB is a business, you can say all you want about the Steinbrenner family and how big market teams are killing baseball. But you have to admit that they do put the money they earn back into their product and produce a quality entertainment option for their consumers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
                      Whomever is beating the Yankees.
                      Hey RLIV, you just mentioned my second favorite team. My favorite is the Twins. My second favorite; whoever is playing the Yankees!
                      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Personally, I wish the Twins would resign him for the money he is worth and let their fans enjoy Johan's success. I am sure I will get killed on here for saying that, but their ownership has the money (I believe Mr. Pollad is one of the wealthier owners, if not the wealthiest, in the league) and they probably owe it to their fans and the taxpayers of MN who are bankrolling their new stadium. As a lifelong Yankee fan, I would love to have Johan, but I find myself rooting for the Twins as well and wish their fans would be rewarded.

If MLB is a business, you can say all you want about the Steinbrenner family and how big market teams are killing baseball. But you have to admit that they do put the money they earn back into their product and produce a quality entertainment option for their consumers.
                        Couldn't agree more. I find myself rooting for the Twins throughout the year. My bro lives there and attends several games, my grandpa was a huge Twin and Kirby Puckett fan along with several other family members. Plus, they're local. Pollad needs to stick some $$ back into the team. I don't fault the Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers for going out and getting the talent they believe will help them win. With a better product on the field you see more butts in the stands.

Comment

mr. Pohlad is the wealthiest owner in all proffesional sports not just baseball he is the only owner on the top 125 richest people and the only billionare..... Thats the problem though he is smart he looks as the Twins as a business and runs them smart he figures out what the team makes and then adds a little bit (not much maybe 2-4 million a year) and then tells the GM to do with it what he wants. With the new stadium the Twins revenue should go up quite a bit I would bet around 20-40 million a year.... I personally think the Twins should resign him I look at Bert Blyeleven, he passed a lot of milestones and it would of been nice if he would of set them all with the Twins.... Torii wasn't smart money so I don't blame the Twins for not resigning him he wasn't worth 12 million a year yet 18.... Right now Hughes and Melki is a lot better then the Redsox offer..... Melki and Ellsbury grade quite equally both are in the 55-65 out of 80 on the prospect scale both are above average outfielders, Melki has a better arm, Ellsbury has better speed.... both are contact hitters with most scouts believing both will be .300 type hitters however Melki is more of a gaps and homeruns where Ellsbury is more of a contact type hitter. Hughes is a Kerry Wood/Mark Prior healthy type of pitcher, 3 good pitches over powering and so on.... However I really like Ian Kennedy he is Brad Radke without the gopher balls.... I don't know much about the Redsox prospects because I really could care less.... but right now the Yankee deal is better.

Comment

Ok, gotta speak up for us Yankee fans.

If you quit looking at the offers through tainted glasses the Yankees offer is 10 times what the Red Sox offer. Hughes vs. Lester - could be pretty even if you didn't have to worry about Lester's health. Cabrera vs. Crisp - no doubt Cabrera is a far better offer for the Twinks than Crisp, any reasonable fan of baseball would agree.

I personally am no fan of the trade from a Yankee perspective. They have some great young arms coming up and I love Melky playing center field (Johnny Damon can't throw a ball to the infield from the warning track without bouncing it). I think Santana is great but something about his health and record lately scares me. The other thing that scares me is Hank Steinbrenner. Two years ago he wanted nothing to do with the team and now he is leading the way in free agent negotiations. I just wish they would leave roster decisions to the people that know baseball like they did in the 90's when they won their last 4 championships.
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                              Ok, gotta speak up for us Yankee fans.

If you quit looking at the offers through tainted glasses the Yankees offer is 10 times what the Red Sox offer. Hughes vs. Lester - could be pretty even if you didn't have to worry about Lester's health. Cabrera vs. Crisp - no doubt Cabrera is a far better offer for the Twinks than Crisp, any reasonable fan of baseball would agree.

I personally am no fan of the trade from a Yankee perspective. They have some great young arms coming up and I love Melky playing center field (Johnny Damon can't throw a ball to the infield from the warning track without bouncing it). I think Santana is great but something about his health and record lately scares me. The other thing that scares me is Hank Steinbrenner. Two years ago he wanted nothing to do with the team and now he is leading the way in free agent negotiations. I just wish they would leave roster decisions to the people that know baseball like they did in the 90's when they won their last 4 championships.
                              The only health concerns Santana has had was when he was a rookie they cleaned up bone chips in his elbow and this past season he had a blister.... His record is misunderstood you have to remember the Twins offense was horrible last season and scouts were saying that he was tipping pitches but still had double figures in wins....

Comment

Working...
                              X