Great West Basement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great West Basement

I look forward to watching USD and SUU battle to keep out of the basement of the Great West. There is a poll on the Great West official site for which team will win the conference next year. And guess who is dead last?

http://greatwestfootball.cstv.com/
    Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Re: Great West Basement

usd could nip SUU and finish 4th if they get 3 of 4 conferences games at home.

Comment

Perhaps USD's proposal to the GWFC leadership to declare that road games won't count in conference standings and to declare USD a 40-bajillion TD favorite in all games at the DakotaDump(TM) was rejected.

I think USD only gets 3 conference games next year: SUU, Cal Poly, and UND. Remember the California schools don't want to play two non-counters in a single year which would harm their playoff chances. And all three of those GWFC games will likely be road games for USD, which has caused great angst among some USD supporters who recognize, as does their coach, that road games against good teams are harder than home games against William Penn.

Funny thing, though. Some posters at anygivensaturday are reporting that UND will have both California schools on their schedule next year. Interesting.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Unfortunately for USD, they aren't anywhere near as prepared to make the jump as SDSU was when it announced the move up. That could have been avoided since they knew that they would have to make this choice several years ago. They had plenty of time to be more prepared but it appears that time wasn't used very well. I'm talking about leadership at the top in Vermillion. They also have some severe handicaps when it comes to the amount of personnel needed, and lack of facilities.

The concern is that USD fans will see that early on in transition and it could cause major damage to their fan base. I've said it many times in regards to USD, SDSU was very fortunate to have the leaders in place and to have a number of good breaks go our way.

USD will need more "good breaks" for things to go well in transition but without them it will be a mighty struggle. I wish them well in their challenge since it is important for the state. They have burned a lot of bridges so there isn't going to be much help from "their friends".

USD is probably going to get a lot of time in the cellar. Going to be a rude awakening for the flea-bitten faithful!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I agree with SB. SDSU staff has done a great job with preparation. Dr. Oien and his staff continue to follow the information provided by the Carr report. I talked with Dr. Oien this fall at a FB game and he stated there have not been any surprises. I am afraid the consultant for Udot basically told them what they wanted to hear. They have a ways to go to get their ducks in a row. Stig talked about several suttle complieance issues they became aware of as they approached the transition. He thanks our compliance office for a very well studied approach. I know I have beat this drum before, but I thin a lot of the success relies on the study that is required. Carr has a good resume and the one that Udot used has only done one DII to DI study. You get what you pay for. Good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by Gatewayrabbit View Post
            I look forward to watching USD and SUU battle to keep out of the basement of the Great West. There is a poll on the Great West official site for which team will win the conference next year. And guess who is dead last?

http://greatwestfootball.cstv.com/
            I don't think this will bother the u posters on here, as most are holed up in the basement of their grandmother's house anyway.
            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Most of them think that since moving from D-II to D-I will be easy, since 2 is a bigger number than 1.

Comment

Don't read too much into preseason polls. The Jacks were picked 4th in the GWFC poll last year and what happened? I'm not saying that will happen to USD, but just something to think about. SDSU did have the correct attitude and leadership when they went through the transition - I'm not so sure on USD though.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
                  Don't read too much into preseason polls. The Jacks were picked 4th in the GWFC poll last year and what happened? I'm not saying that will happen to USD, but just something to think about. SDSU did have the correct attitude and leadership when they went through the transition - I'm not so sure on USD though.

You mean having your coach allow himself to be quoted in the Argus as saying he had wished they had scheduled easier teams so they could win a couple more isn't the correct attitude and leadership a team needs going into a move up in overall competition? I wonder if he uses that as his main selling point in recruiting? "Come to USD. If we can't win the tough games, we'll just schedule easier ones."
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                    You mean having your coach allow himself to be quoted in the Argus as saying he had wished they had scheduled easier teams so they could win a couple more isn't the correct attitude and leadership a team needs going into a move up in overall competition? I wonder if he uses that as his main selling point in recruiting? "Come to USD. If we can't win the tough games, we'll just schedule easier ones."
                    Great post deserving rep points, especially the last line.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Great post MJA. I am so happy that SDSU has the opposite attitude and meets challenges head on and schedules the way they have. Only way to be the best is to beat the best...like a few weeks ago when, as I recall, we beat the #1 ranked team in FCS and brought the Dakota Marker back to its original home. Good luck udot in your pursuit of mediocrity.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                      X