Gateway Conference exploring name change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gateway Conference exploring name change

There is a thread over on Any Given Saturday that indicates the name of the Gateway Conference may be changed to the Missouri Valley Conference. Same teams with SDSU, NDSU, Western Illiois and Youngstown being football only members. The change may take place as soon as next spring. Gateway is run by Missouri Valley already. Has anyone heard the same rumor locally?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/foru...ad.php?t=33234

Gateway Conference exploring name change

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071120/SPORTS0202/711200307/1002/SPORTS`

Comment

Re: Gateway Conference exploring name change

Here is the correct link:

Gateway considers name change
      By Terry Vandrovec
      tvandrovec@argusleader.com
      Comment Print Email PUBLISHED: November 20, 2007

BROOKINGS - There seems to be something about expanding into the Dakotas that makes conferences want to change their names.

Just as the Mid-Continent Conference became the Summit League the summer before South Dakota State and North Dakota State gained active membership, the Gateway Football Conference is considering becoming the Missouri Valley Conference before officially welcoming the Jacks and the Bison next fall.

As things now stand, the Gateway is a separate LLC under the Missouri Valley umbrella, as commissioner Patty Viverito put it. Five of the nine schools that will be part of the Gateway in 2008 - Northern Iowa, Illinois State, Indiana State, Missouri State and Southern Illinois - already compete in the Missouri Valley in other sports.

The possible name change will be discussed by Gateway coaches and athletic directors at their February meeting in St. Louis. Presidents from both conferences would have to sign off on the idea when they meet in June in order for the change to take effect in 2008.

"The thought is we'd have access to leveraging in both television and marketing that we haven't had in the past," Viverito said before Saturday's Dakota Marker game at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium. "So if we can make it work, we'll make it work. Preliminary discussions said if all we're talking about is re-branding, there's value and we can all live with that."

(read more)
      Last edited by BTownJack; 11-20-2007, 08:18 AM. Reason: tag edit

Comment

Re: SDSU to the Missouri Valley for Football

there is another thread devoted to this....moderators?

Comment

thanks for fixing it..... I don't see a reason to change the name Gateway sounds good to me its not like the Summit League that a name change was part of a overhaul of the league

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            thanks for fixing it..... I don't see a reason to change the name Gateway sounds good to me its not like the Summit League that a name change was part of a overhaul of the league
            I don't know, I like the fact that NDSU and SDSU will be in a league with Missouri Valley as its name. It is only the best Mid-Major conference in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
              I don't know, I like the fact that NDSU and SDSU will be in a league with Missouri Valley as its name. It is only the best Mid-Major conference in the country.
              In basketball.... half the missouri valley teams don't sponsor football and half the teams in the Gateway are in different conferences for basketball..... How does it work with the Big Sky are the members the same with football and basketball?

Comment

Moderator note: Two similar threads merged here.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                  I like the Missouri Valley name. No doubt about its identity. Some still don't know where the Gateway is.

Comment

Working...
                  X