No Surprises in Cedar City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Surprises in Cedar City

As expected, the Thunderbirds are now accepting job applications...

http://greatwestfootball.cstv.com/sp...111907aac.html

Southern Utah University head football coach Wes Meier will not have his contract renewed for the 2008 season, SUU Director of Athletics Ken Beazer announced today.

The search for a new coach will begin immediately.

"This was a difficult decision for me but I believe the time is right to make a change in the overall focus and direction in our football program," Beazer said. "We have raised the bar in many areas and have placed high expectations on all of our programs. (read more)

Re: No Surprises in Cedar City

This move might have been made a couple of years too late.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
      This move might have been made a couple of years too late.
      It's hard to justify showing any coach out the door after only two seasons, especially after going 6-5 in the first season when the previous three seasons had only netted a total of seven wins.

http://www.suu.edu/athletics/Footbal...%20Results.pdf

I don't believe Southern Utah was even close to the 63-scholarship maximum until last season. Frankly, it would probably would have taken a miracle worker to get a winning season this fall given their schedule and lack of institutional support.

Comment

I don't believe it is the wins and losses that is getting himself let go, but other intangibles like positive attitudes and sportsmanship of the players. Sometimes the only way to change that is a fresh face from outside the program.

Comment

I don't believe it is the wins and losses that is getting himself let go, but other intangibles like positive attitudes and sportsmanship of the players. Sometimes the only way to change that is a fresh face from outside the program.
          4-28 during the last three seasons wouldn't enable many coaches to retain their jobs, even if the program was the epitome of sportsmanship and high academic performance. I thought two years ago was too soon to let Wes go, but it's necessary now for the Thunderbirds.

SUU definitely needs a fresh face to change the attitude of the program and the on-field behavior of the players. Hopefully, their program will turn around and will be a scheduling option for SDSU down the road. Rep points for pointing that out!

Comment

The way he behaved on the sidelines vs The Jacks was enough of a reason to ask him to leave IMO. I think this is the best decision for both parties.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

That team was completely out of control. The players took on the chip the coach had on his shoulder.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
              X