NDSU vs SDSU vs UND vs USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU vs SDSU vs UND vs USD

I'm throwing this in smack cause anytime the unmentionables are brought up (UND/USD) it always comes back to smack. Question: Will the D1 version of UND vs. USD take off like NDSU vs. SDSU has? It looks as though the Border Marker game is going to consistently sell-out each other's house? I wondering what everyone else is thinking.

Re: NDSU vs SDSU vs UND vs USD

Originally posted by b1sonmike View Post
    I'm throwing this in smack cause anytime the unmentionables are brought up (UND/USD) it always comes back to smack. Question: Will the D1 version of UND vs. USD take off like NDSU vs. SDSU has? It looks as though the Border Marker game is going to consistently sell-out each other's house? I wondering what everyone else is thinking.
    I was wondering the same thing. The rivalry game that the xDSU's have is about as good as it gets. Does the UxD's have that same type of potential? I don't think so 'cause even in the past (DII life) it was not that strong of a rivalry. It may develop into one if they continue with an alliance into a conference. Although I have a feeling that either one would abandon the other if given a chance. I don't know that, but the alliance doesn't seem as strong or as public as the one that the two State universities have. USD looks to SDSU for a strong rivalry and we already have one with NDSU.

Comment

Maybe they can call it the Dakota Outhouse Game. Both SDSU and NDSU have sung of their rivals as "an old abandoned outhouse."
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by b1sonmike View Post
        They'll have to continue to work together like the SU's have. The "natural" rivalry we had with our respective intrastate U's was just that, then it got ugly. Can either of the U's fan bases be respectful enough of the other to foster a relationship that will be necessary to eventually strengthen the rivalry? Time will tell. I have my doubts but I'm biased.

More likely, they continue to incorrectly focus their energy towards renewing rivalries with the SU's undermining the relationship of the U's. I look forward to the day when we can again compete on the athletic field with our peers at the U's but that day is still well into the future. I susepct the administration knows what it needs to do but I'm not sure the alumni, fans, students and other supporters are on board. I guess time will tell.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          They'll have to continue to work together like the SU's have. The "natural" rivalry we had with our respective intrastate U's was just that, then it got ugly. Can either of the U's fan bases be respectful enough of the other to foster a relationship that will be necessary to eventually strengthen the rivalry? Time will tell. I have my doubts but I'm biased.

More likely, they continue to incorrectly focus their energy towards renewing rivalries with the SU's undermining the relationship of the U's. I look forward to the day when we can again compete on the athletic field with our peers at the U's but that day is still well into the future. I susepct the administration knows what it needs to do but I'm not sure the alumni, fans, students and other supporters are on board. I guess time will tell.
          UxD's aren't our peers.....yet. They have transition coming up. Next year for them will be hell, like it was for us in '04. Whereas, '08 at the XDSU's is what we've been striving for. Conferences for all our sports, eligible for all sports titles. The UxD's would have been better set this year to be in purgurtory, we may have been more inclined to schedule. But next year, they're a drag on our mission to be NCAA qualifiers. Our assistance will be limited, and almost exclusively in minor sports (swimming?, track & field, X-Country). Team sports, VB, BB, Football, baseball, softball, may be awhile. Expecially for the sports they don't currently have.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
            UxD's aren't our peers.....yet.
            Exactly, on the athletic field they our not our peers and won't be until well into the future. Once they are, they might be on our OOC schedule. Thats not smacky at all, thats just a fact. Its clear most of us understand that. The problem is with the U supporters. They are convinced that they are keeping pace with a plan that has always been in place. I think they expect the NCAA to hand them an exemption from transition and make the full-fledged DI next year. Best as I can tell there is no plan in place for transition, of course, I'm also not someone who is seeking that info. Anyways, we agree, they are not currently our peers.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I would invite any USD/UND fan to Brookings to see what that atmosphere is like. That is something that will never be duplicated within the world's largest septic tank in Vermillion!

This is FCS football at it's finest. And guess what? It's only going to get better when playoff births are on the line next year!!!

Screw the two of U's!!!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I think they expect the NCAA to hand them an exemption from transition and make the full-fledged DI next year. Best as I can tell there is no plan in place for transition, of course, I'm also not someone who is seeking that info. Anyways, we agree, they are not currently our peers.
                Is there such a thing as exemption from transition? I know the University of Mary was granted full-fledged D2 status a year ahead of schedule for good "grades" in every aspect of their transition. Is there such a thing in D1?

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
                  Is there such a thing as exemption from transition? I know the University of Mary was granted full-fledged D2 status a year ahead of schedule for good "grades" in every aspect of their transition. Is there such a thing in D1?
                  I would say not a chance. Too much money involved with the D-I MBB tournament.

Comment

Not when they just announced nobody else can even begin the transition because the NCAA doesn't think all of the schools moving is a good thing. They want to make sure those that are moving can do it, if that is the concern why would you loosen the requirements on those just starting now?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                      Not when they just announced nobody else can even begin the transition because the NCAA doesn't think all of the schools moving is a good thing. They want to make sure those that are moving can do it, if that is the concern why would you loosen the requirements on those just starting now?
                      I was more speaking to the thought process down in Vermtown. Local papers and local supporters speak like conference affiliation, sceduling, compliance issues are all just magically taken care of because of what the SU's have accomplished. The assumption is that we stuck out our necks and now they will ride our coat tails. Between you and me, that ain't how it works.

Comment

I was more speaking to the thought process down in Vermtown. Local papers and local supporters speak like conference affiliation, sceduling, compliance issues are all just magically taken care of because of what the SU's have accomplished. The assumption is that we stuck out our necks and now they will ride our coat tails. Between you and me, that ain't how it works.
                        I'm reminded once again of the South Park Underpants Gnomes:

1: Steal underpants
                        2: ???
                        3: Profit

The USD plan seems to be:
                        1: Go D-I
                        3: Join all the leagues that SDSU is in.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          I'm reminded once again of the South Park Underpants Gnomes:

1: Steal underpants
                          3: Profit

The USD plan seems to be:
                          1: Go D-I
                          3: Join all the leagues that SDSU is in.
                          Whats Phase 2?

I don't know...Phase 3 is profit!

That funny... My old roommate would always mimick them gnomes. He'd sing the whole song and bit. It was hilarious. Good times, good times.

Comment

I think all and all that the UXD's will have a harder transition then the XDSU's for multiple reasons.
                            When NDSU and SDSU went D-I they were the pioneers I guess you could say (A lot of teams have made the transaction during the same time period as them) Compared to USD and UND who seem to be doing it a little to late.

Problems that exist with the USD are the obvious... The fact that they don't have baseball and don't have wrestling and already have Title IX problems. The fact that they only have 1 facility and that they are competing against the same $ that SDSU is competing against and SDSU has a foot hole in most of that $ already.

UND's problems deal with there mascot and the fact that they are also fighting for that same $ that NDSU is. Also geopraphically they are pretty close to the Canadian border and even if they try to work scheduling issues out with USD its going to be tough to get a team to play USD on a friday night and travel up to Grand Forks and play saturday. (its a little under 3 hours from Brookings to Fargo compared to Vermillion to Grand Forks which is around 6 hours) with no major airport in either city.
                            Last edited by joeboo22; 11-16-2007, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              I think all and all that the UXD's will have a harder transition then the XDSU's for multiple reasons.
                              When NDSU and SDSU went D-I they were the pioneers I guess you could say (A lot of teams have made the transaction during the same time period as them) Compared to USD and UND who seem to be doing it a little to late.

Problems that exist with the USD are the obvious... The fact that they don't have baseball and don't have wrestling and already have Title IX problems. The fact that they only have 1 facility and that they are competing against the same $ that SDSU is competing against and SDSU has a foot hole in most of that $ already.

UND's problems deal with there mascot and the fact that they are also fighting for that same $ that NDSU is. Also geopraphically they are pretty close to the ND border and even if they try to work scheduling issues out with USD its going to be tough to get a team to play USD on a friday night and travel up to Grand Forks and play saturday. (its a little under 3 hours from Brookings to Fargo compared to Vermillion to Grand Forks which is around 6 hours) with no major airport in either city.
                              Joeboo!

Comment

Working...
                              X