Academic Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academic Titles

According to the Chicago Manual of Style/my editor, neither Mr. or Dr. should be included in print. Dr. is typically used to denote medical doctors, but that has fallen out of fashion due to the vast number of medical fields. In biographical materials, inclusion of academic degree (i.e. PhD) is permissible.

As always, it depends upon the editor, be it newspaper, journal, or website. For example, the New York Times' obituary for Frederick von Hayek technically incorrectly used Mr. (as according to my editor the Wall Street Journal does this as well). Hayek had a doctorate from Vienna.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...50C0A964958260

My own personal preference for the use of Mr. (which, as noted, is incorrect) was based on opening day materials from Milton Friedman's course on Money Theory at the University of Chicago, where he asked to be referred to as Mr. as opposed to Dr. Friedman. (Of course this was for use in verbal communication, but it was the basis for my previous standard).

Re: Academic Titles

Well this is going to be boring. FWIW I've been on campuses where Fud's were called Dr. and others with a more egalitarian bent where they were Mr. However, most have used the former probably because they're run by PhD's who are proud of their title.

Local usage of the campus should apply. Like Ki-ro Egypt and Cay-ro Illinois.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
      Well this is going to be boring. FWIW I've been on campuses where Fud's were called Dr. and others with a more egalitarian bent where they were Mr. However, most have used the former probably because they're run by PhD's who are proud of their title.

Local usage of the campus should apply. Like Ki-ro Egypt and Cay-ro Illinois.
      You know what? After 3 or 4 beers, you lost me on this one. I'll try and read again in the morning.

Comment

This has to be one of the weirdest threads ever on this board.

Beer does help, however . . .
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I had to check IP addresses to make sure IowaBison wasn't filbert, trying to start an argument which he would eventually concede and then everyone would call him DR Filbert.

If one buys into IowaBison's position, then what would we call JackMD? JackMR? Just doesn't seem right.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            I had to check IP addresses to make sure IowaBison wasn't filbert, trying to start an argument which he would eventually concede and then everyone would call him DR Filbert.

If one buys into IowaBison's position, then what would we call JackMD? JackMR? Just doesn't seem right.
            You can call me whatever you would like, just don't call me between 1 - 5 pm this Saturday, I will be otherwise occupied.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              You can call me whatever you would like, just don't call me between 1 - 5 pm this Saturday, I will be otherwise occupied.
              If anybody needs an idea what to call JackMD, let me know. I've got a few!! No offense, Doc

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                If anybody needs an idea what to call JackMD, let me know. I've got a few!! No offense, Doc
                Would we have to move it to Smack before we start calling JackMD names.

Comment

Working...
                X