This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With all due respect to AD Oien

Why in heaven's name didn't you move the time of the Jacks/Griz MBB game!

Getting a game on Fox Sports North is a BIG DEAL!

It puts both programs, especially the host school, in most homes in the Dakotas and Minnesota. Brookings is a great town, it would have been a fantastic opportunity for the community to showcase itself as well.

The NDSU/SFA game was picked up by other Fox Sports affiliates throughout the country, in addition to being available to sports package subscribers.

This is such a no brainer, that is makes me think that maybe Mr. Oien has a little to much on his plate to think straight.

Best of luck to the Jacks on Saturday, but no so much that you win!

Re: With all due respect to AD Oien

With all due respect, the last two Dakota Marker games were in Fargo and neither was on TV. What was your AD doing?

P.S. That is Dr. Oien to you.

Go Jackrabbits!

Comment

didn't know that Fred was an M.D., I think that Mr. is just fine.

as far as the previous games:

(1) tv coverage of mid-major football has changed a lot in the past few years.

(2) if the game were in Fargo i'm all but certain that it would be televised.

don't forget that this is just another part of Oien's mismanagement of coverage as he tried to get $30k for the game in September, which was definitely a non-starter for the Dakota NBC stations.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaBison View Post
        didn't know that Fred was an M.D., I think that Mr. is just fine.

as far as the previous games:

(1) tv coverage of mid-major football has changed a lot in the past few years.

(2) if the game were in Fargo i'm all but certain that it would be televised.

don't forget that this is just another part of Oien's mismanagement of coverage as he tried to get $30k for the game in September, which was definitely a non-starter for the Dakota NBC stations.
        Fred has a Doctorate in Education from the University of Massachusetts-Amherst. So it's Dr. Oien. Just a simple matter of respect.

How can you be "all but certain" it would be televised if it was in Fargo. It wasn't televised the last two years and it was in Fargo.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The difference this year is that NDSU is out of its agreement with WDAY that limited the games NDSU could show. WDAY would pick a game each year to televise and last year they picked the Northeastern game.

This year every game was on TV except the SUU game, which was the poorest attended game of the year.

Comment

I work in academia and Mr. is fine in most cases except for (1) formal ones or when (2) the person is a dink.

I didn't think that either applied here. Let me know which one I'm off on.

Again, who cares about last year? Every game in Fargo has been televised this year, save one. It's SDSU that's missing out more than NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaBison View Post
              I work in academia and Mr. is fine in most cases except for (1) formal ones or when (2) the person is a dink.

I didn't think that either applied here. Let me know which one I'm off on.

Again, who cares about last year?
              I think you have achieved smack here, essentially calling our AD a "dink".

I've worked at four different universities (SDSU, Iowa, Purdue, Oklahoma) and the culture is different everywhere. At Iowa, few people used "Dr." At Purdue, more people did. At Oklahoma, everybody did. At SDSU, we try to show that respect and encourage our students to do so as well. If you had broader experiences, I suspect you'd realize that there is a diversity of views about the use of Dr. at different universities.

In the end, it's a personal decision. Fred likes for people who don't know him to use Dr.

I would note that you titled this thread "with all due respect" then you call Dr. Oien a dink for wanting strangers to use the respectful term. Interesting. Now that you've defined who gets to use Dr., maybe you can define "respect" for us.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

i didn't realize this was such a formal venue. (see condition 1). i'll get ready for the grammar/spelling comments.

as far as AD Oien's preference to be called Dr. that's his decision, i stand by my opinion. if i were in a professional setting, i would surely oblige.

i agree with you it is a matter of preference/culture, but it is certainly not a matter of respect.

if you want to continue discussing this issue, please start another thread.

Comment

Thanks for all the opinions, and respect to DR. Oien (and to think I knew him before he graduated from SDSU)

This thread has nothing to do with football, but it's TV marketing. Isn't happening, quit raising it.

Anybody raising this issue again in a new thread will be banned for a week.

Closing thread, and moving to Smack.

Comment

Working...
                  X