Commissioner's Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commissioner's Cup

The Summit League has the Commissioner's Cup award that goes to the university with the highest placement in conference play for all sports, both men's and women's. For example in Women's volleyball, there are 9 teams and the team that finishes in 1st place during the regular season is awarded 9 points, 2nd place gets 8 points etc. The league also has an award for the best men's and women's conference teams. The university with the best men's all sports team is awarded the Dr. William Steinbrecher award. The women's all sports team is awarded the Dr. Helen Smiley award.

These are the final standings for the Men's All Sports Award. All of the
    Code:

Dr. William Steinbrecher Men's All Sports Award Standings

School                                            Points

1.   Oral Roberts                                    54
    2.   Western Illinois                                47
    3.   Southern Utah                                   39.5
    4.   Oakland University                              38.5 
    5.   IUPUI                                           33
    6.   NDSU                                            29
    7.   UMKC                                            27.5
    8.   SDSU                                            27
    9.   IPFW                                            16.5
    10.  Centenary                                       16
    Here are the current standing for the Women's All Sports Award through May 5th.

Code:

Dr. Helen Smiley Women's All Sports Award Standings

School                                          Points
    1.   SDSU                                         67.5
    2.   NDSU                                         58.5
    3.   Western Illinois                             55.5
    4.   Oral Roberts                                 52.5
    5.   Oakland University                           47
    6.   IPFW                                         44.5
    7.   Southern Utah                                42.5
    8.   IUPUI                                        25
    9.   Centenary                                    20   
    10.  UMKC                                         19
    Here are the overall standings for the Commissioner's Cup through May 5th

Code:

Commissioner's Cup Standings

School                                       Points
    1. Oral Roberts                              106.5
    2. Western Illinois                          102.5
    3. SDSU                                       94.5
    4. NDSU                                       87.5
    5. Oakland University                         85.5
    6. Southern Utah                              82
    7. IPFW                                       61
    8. IUPUI                                      58
    9. UMKC                                       46.5
    10.Centenary                                  36
    Here is the Summary of the Final Standings for all sports for each university.

Go State!!!
    Last edited by NorCalJack; 05-19-2008, 11:45 AM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Re: Commissioner's Cup

Thanks for the info. Rep points for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
      Thanks for the info. Rep points for that one.
      Congrats on volunteering to keep track of the point situation in the competition for these awards!!

Comment

Well since the basketball games have completed half of the Round Robin format, I thought I would update the standings for the Commissioner's Cup. If you look at the first post in this thread you will see that the standings have been updated through today, January 29th.

Go State!!!
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)

Comment

Well the Swimming & Diving Championships were this weekend, so I updated the Commissioner's Cup Standings and updated the MBB and WBB standings. This is good through February 24th. See the first post in this thread for the standings.

Go State!!!
          Go Jacks!!!
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)

Comment

Well the Men's and Women's Basketball and Indoor Track & Field standings are finalized. I updated the standings in the first post. It looks like a 5 person race for the Commissioner's Cup with Oakland, SDSU, Western Illinois, Oral Roberts and NDSU being separated by 7.5 points.

Go State!!!
            Go Jacks!!!
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

I updated the Commissioner's Cup standing now through May 5th. Look at the first post in this thread to see the overall standings. We still have some games to play in Baseball and Softball and still have the Men's & Women's Outdoor Track and Field Championships coming up. Other than those 4 events, the rest of the standings should not change.

Right now it looks like SDSU will win the Women's All Sports Award. Oral Roberts has stangle hold on the Men's All Sports Award and the Commisssioner's Cup. We will have to see how the Track and Field goes, but SDSU should still finish in the top 4 of the Commissioner's Cup and could still get 2nd place.

Go State!!!
              Go Jacks!!!
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

Thanks for the update NCJ...I would say we can be very happy about the success of our athletic teams in this first year in the conference. Winning the women's cup is great, but I also am pretty happy with the men's showing. Since our success in football doesn't translate to any points in the men's competition, we do not have a men's soccer team to pick up points, and I believe we are at a low point (but improving) showing in men's basketball, I think middle of the league is pretty darn good for our first year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  Thanks for the update NCJ...I would say we can be very happy about the success of our athletic teams in this first year in the conference. Winning the women's cup is great, but I also am pretty happy with the men's showing. Since our success in football doesn't translate to any points in the men's competition, we do not have a men's soccer team to pick up points, and I believe we are at a low point (but improving) showing in men's basketball, I think middle of the league is pretty darn good for our first year.
                  Yes, I agree that it's a GREAT showing considering that equestrian, rodeo (if we still have), wrestling and football do not count. I would have thought NDSU would be higher than us, but they sponsor fewer sports in the Summit than we do. Notiably missing at NDSU is my sport, Swimming & Diving. NDSU had a very compariable pool to SDSU's, shame they dropped.

Comment

Our pool isn't regulation, so we couldn't host meets even if we did still sponsor S&D. Also, the current plan for renovating the BSA calls for the removal of the pool to create more space for locker rooms and offices on the first and second floors. Since that leaves NDSU without a pool of any kind, I hope a recreational pool can be added to our Wellness Center in a few years(built in the late-90's; tripled in size last year) and that a new natatorium can be added onto the BSA eventually(many other needs have to come first).

As for the Cup, good luck to you guys. I'd don't think we'll ever win one without adding sports, so you guys winning one would be the next best thing. Even finishing 3rd(SDSU) and 4th(NDSU) would be a great achievement this early in our Summit League terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                      Our pool isn't regulation, so we couldn't host meets even if we did still sponsor S&D. Also, the current plan for renovating the BSA calls for the removal of the pool to create more space for locker rooms and offices on the first and second floors. Since that leaves NDSU without a pool of any kind, I hope a recreational pool can be added to our Wellness Center in a few years(built in the late-90's; tripled in size last year) and that a new natatorium can be added onto the BSA eventually(many other needs have to come first).

As for the Cup, good luck to you guys. I'd don't think we'll ever win one without adding sports, so you guys winning one would be the next best thing. Even finishing 3rd(SDSU) and 4th(NDSU) would be a great achievement this early in our Summit League terms.

Agreed and thanks Hammersmith! See the Bison goose-egged in 5 sports. Jacks, only one (men's soccer) of 19 available sports. Tough to win overall if don't participate in a 1/4 of the events tracked.

Makes it a bit tougher when two big sports, football and wrestling aren't part of the mix.

Comment

Well the season is over for all our sports teams and I have updated the final Commissioner's Standings in the first post of this thread. Overall, SDSU finished 3rd, behind Oral Roberts and Western Illinois. The women really shined for us this year, winning the women's title with 67.5 points, while NDSU finished in 2nd with 58.5 points. The men finished in 8th with 27 points, which is half of what Oral Roberts men scored (54 points).

All in all I think SDSU has made tremendous strides during the transition and finishing 3rd in these standings is a real testiment to all the hard work the athletic department has made during the last few years. If we are going to win a Commissioner's Cup, we need to make vast improvements in the men's divisions. I think we are going to see improvement in these areas, but it will take time.

Go State!!!
                        Go Jacks!!!
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                          Well the season is over for all our sports teams and I have updated the final Commissioner's Standings in the first post of this thread. Overall, SDSU finished 3rd, behind Oral Roberts and Western Illinois. The women really shined for us this year, winning the women's title with 67.5 points, while NDSU finished in 2nd with 58.5 points. The men finished in 8th with 27 points, which is half of what Oral Roberts men scored (54 points).

All in all I think SDSU has made tremendous strides during the transition and finishing 3rd in these standings is a real testiment to all the hard work the athletic department has made during the last few years. If we are going to win a Commissioner's Cup, we need to make vast improvements in the men's divisions. I think we are going to see improvement in these areas, but it will take time.

Go State!!!
                          Go Jacks!!!

Yes, our men had a rough first year, but the newcomers really shined in the womens side Congrats to the women, and may we shine like this most years.

Great start in our new conference home, and best of success as we begin to bring some great recognition to the Summit League.

Comment

Here is a link to Terry's story about SDSU winning the Women's All-Sports award.

Go State!!!
                            Go Jacks!!!
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

Congratulations to the Jackrabbit women! I see a dominant future for them and it won't be the last Commissioner's Cup they win!

Comment

Working...
                              X